What's new

Looking For a One-Handed Watch

Years ago I had a watch made by the Swiss watchmaker Mondaine. It was called the "Don't Rush" watch because it had an hour hand but no minute hand! I know this sounds like a useless instrument, but it really wasn't; the hour markers were far enough apart and the watch was so precisely calibrated with fine increments on the dial that I would know the actual time within a few minutes. The upshot of the design was that it really made one feel that one didn't have to rush--hence the name! Time seemed to pass more slowly because there was no minute hand moving conspicuously around the dial and the hour hand moved so slowly it was imperceptible. Now, to the best that I am aware, only a few prestigious companies make one-handed watches and the prices are out of my range (considering that I am interested in its function and psychology, not its luxury branding). Just wondering if anyone has ever come across such a watch in your travels that is reasonably priced--let's say under $100 or so. Thanks for any leads or adding to the discussion...

The Botta watches would be the very ultimate in a one-handed watch....but starting at $600 they are also a long reach for me.

Oh and while I was looking for that link, I found a really cool novelty:

proxy.php

Apparently, the 'hand' is a magnet that stops the ball rolling in the little groove. I imagine it'd feel a bit like wearing a sundial.

If I had 200 bucks or a few more wrists, I might spring for one.

Ah... single hand watches!
The choice of the discerning gentlemen.

Meistersinger is highly recommended.

I have a singular:

proxy.php

as well as a 1Z:

proxy.php

Incredibly easy to use, and very stylish!

Wim

Love the 1Z - talk about minimalist.

Very cool.

Too bad they're 1.5-2Gs.

Though if I sold all my shaving gear.......

EDIT: Andrew - what's the brand on that timepiece you're brandishing there?
EDIT2: nevermind. Mondaine. (facepalm)

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for a calender without days. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom