What's new

Looking for a nice Boar brush

I have been wet shaving my entire life, but just returned to using a DE a couple months ago. I got hit by AD and as a result now have 5 razors and as many brushes. I have two nice badger brushes, but found that I prefer a boar brush for soaps which I use most often, and relegate the badgers to creams. I have a couple of nice boar brushes but nothing too fancy (Semogue 610 excelsior and the 1305 in addition, I have the Omega black handled professional. I have found several quality and interesting brush makers by reading Shave of the Day like, Wolf Whiskers, Lowborn, Charcoal Supply, but they seem to offer only badgers or synthetic (I have no experience with a synthetic brush, but assume, from what I have read, that they are similar to a nice badger in softness and mild backbone) Is there a brush maker in the vein of the three mentioned that offers good boar brushes. Thanks for your help.

I have been wet shaving my entire life, but just returned to using a DE a couple months ago. I got hit by AD and as a result now have 5 razors and as many brushes. I have two nice badger brushes, but found that I prefer a boar brush for soaps which I use most often, and relegate the badgers to creams. I have a couple of nice boar brushes but nothing too fancy (Semogue 610 excelsior and the 1305 in addition, I have the Omega black handled professional. I have found several quality and interesting brush makers by reading Shave of the Day like, Wolf Whiskers, Lowborn, Charcoal Supply, but they seem to offer only badgers or synthetic (I have no experience with a synthetic brush, but assume, from what I have read, that they are similar to a nice badger in softness and mild backbone) Is there a brush maker in the vein of the three mentioned that offers good boar brushes. Thanks for your help.
Give a Semogue Owners Club Boar brush a try I think you will like it, I do like mine alot. I also own the 830, 1305, and 1520 Semogue Boar brushes and they are great brushes. Synthetic wise give a Stirling 24mm. Tuxedo brush a try. It has backbone like a Boar brush but the tips are soft.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Give a Semogue Owners Club Boar brush a try I think you will like it, I do like mine alot. I also own the 830, 1305, and 1520 Semogue Boar brushes and they are great brushes. Synthetic wise give a Stirling 24mm. Tuxedo brush a try. It has backbone like a Boar brush but the tips are soft.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I second this opinion. Fine Stout synthetic is a good option too.

The Omega S-brush and S-brush Pro are synthetic, but are supposed to lather like a Boar. The S-brush Pro (S10049) is the synthetic version of the Omega 10049 boar brush.

My brushes are include an Omega Pro 10049 and an AOS Genuine Badger. I love them both, but now I use my RR Big Bruce exclusively.

The boar brushes you own are excellent.
The fancy brushes you see in SOTD are more photogenic for sure, but it doesn't mean they lather better. Most seem to be badger brushes too.
If you want something looking premium, you could always look for a skilled Craftsman to set a new handle in one of your brushes.
Semogue SOC is as good as a boar can get.

Agree with prior posts. The 610 and 1305 are great brushes. A SOC if you want bigger. It's going to be hard to find better.

Another vote for the SOC! (If that does not do the trick, then you might contact a custom brush maker.)

I have the Omega Profeassional 10098 as well as a couple of Semogue brushes and a Barbershop Brand (Austria) brush I bought 35 years ago. My favorite it the Omega. I like it because it is big. Boar brushes do not splay much, so the bigger size is a plus when loading soaps and lathering.

If you have a low-density badger brush, it will be too floppy to use with hard soaps, but it will work well with creams. However, if you get a two-band badger such as the Semogue Owner's Club, it has sufficient backbone. So too do high-density silvertip badgers. However, they tend to be expensive. I have a Wet Shaving Products high mountain white and a Saville Row silvertip. Both work with soaps as well as creams, but they were $150 and up.

Do not rule out synthetic brushes. I have a RazorRock Plisoft silvertip that is quite soft, but does not have quite enough backbone. However, I have a Turn n Shave brush with a Gamechanger/Boss type knot that has soft tips, yet has decent backbone.

You also might want to experiment with horse hair brushes. Most are made by Vie Long. If you get one that had 50% tail hair/ 50% mane hair, it has a good balance between softness and backbone. It is not as soft as a badger and not as stiff as a boar, but it is a very versatile brush.

You will not find a better boar brush than what you have now, your Omega black handled professional (10049).

The boar brushes you own are excellent.
The fancy brushes you see in SOTD are more photogenic for sure, but it doesn't mean they lather better. Most seem to be badger brushes too.
If you want something looking premium, you could always look for a skilled Craftsman to set a new handle in one of your brushes.
Semogue SOC is as good as a boar can get.

Your comment rings of truth, the Semogue and the Omega brushes I have do perform exceptionally well, which is why I have started to prefer them for use with with hard soaps. With a good brush, I am getting the same fluffy, thick quality of lather I get from TOBS shave cream with most of my current soaps. My Mom always used to say "son, pretty is as pretty does "my dad always said "fishing lures were seldom made to catch fish, but fishermen" I have found both statements to hold pretty true and after reading your comment, I am thinking they apply here as well. I Ordered a Semogue SOC to go along with what I already have. Want often being a stronger motivation than need, I may also pick up one of those photogenic brushes just cause I like em. the Wolf Whiskers and Lowborn brushes looks exceptionally nice to me.

Last edited:
I'm going to put in a vote for the Thater boar brush. My last five shaves have been with the Thater 4125 and it continues to improve with each shave. Previously having used Silvertip and synthetic brushes all I can say is that I'm impressed with the Thater.

My Semogue 2000 is big, has backbone, and is soft. I consider it the quintessential face-lathering brush. It took a long time to break in, but it is worth the effort and $20 it cost to buy.

Top Bottom