What's new

Looking for a new Petty

I went to roast some potatoes last week, and they were less than stellar. Lots of little nasty spots that needed to be taken off before cooking.

I grabbed my 80mm petty, and got to work. It was good enough for the spot-removal. When using it to cube up the spuds, I realized I have a niche to fill. It was able to cut them, but it suuuuucked at halving the potatoes, and it was just okay for slicing the halves.

I don't want to use 2 knives everytime I clean up and cut potatoes. This means I get to buy a new knife!

I gotta bump something off my knife rack, so bye-bye filet knife I stopped using when I stopped fishing!

So:

Does Takamura live up to the hype? Even the Chromax line? I see a 130mm petty that's not sold out everywhere.

Is Ginsan steel fun to sharpen? I see a couple options in 130mm and 150mm. 150mm might be a little big for that niche, but I'm not totally sure.

I guess my budget maxes out at $100.

I do not want another VG10 knife; I've been unhappy with the two I've owned.

I'm not afraid of carbon steel patina, but I'd rather it be less reactive or stainless.

Any recommendations?

Does Takamura live up to the hype? Even the Chromax line? I see a 130mm petty that's not sold out everywhere.

Is Ginsan steel fun to sharpen? I see a couple options in 130mm and 150mm. 150mm might be a little big for that niche, but I'm not totally sure.

Any recommendations?

Answering your questions in order:

Yes, if you genuinely want a true laser.

Yes, lots of people happy with Takamura's Chromax

Yes, I find Ginsan steel fun to sharpen.

I think you are basically on the right track. The only conflict is that ideally you'd want a taller knife for cutting potatoes, and a more shallow one for taking out eyes. But that's a pretty easy compromise. It's not a really hard problem you've posed here.

Answering your questions in order:

Yes, if you genuinely want a true laser.

Yes, lots of people happy with Takamura's Chromax

Yes, I find Ginsan steel fun to sharpen.

I think you are basically on the right track. The only conflict is that ideally you'd want a taller knife for cutting potatoes, and a more shallow one for taking out eyes. But that's a pretty easy compromise. It's not a really hard problem you've posed here.

Thanks for the answers!

I have a big Chinese rectangle I love for potatoes that aren't gross. I was just surprised to find myself in the middle of prep, feeling like I could use a specific tool I don't have.

I suppose I could just use two knives, but this way is more fun.

I’d look at Japanese Knife Imports and grab something from the Gesshin Ginga line.

It’s the best knife shop on the planet. You can also call Jon, the owner, and explain your situation and ask for advice.

But the OG laser, which still stands undefeated, is a Ginga.

I’d look at Japanese Knife Imports and grab something from the Gesshin Ginga line.

It’s the best knife shop on the planet. You can also call Jon, the owner, and explain your situation and ask for advice.

But the OG laser, which still stands undefeated, is a Ginga.
I am familiar with JKI! Their sharpening series was very helpful when I started out.

Thanks for the suggestion! The Gesshin Ginga line is 2/3 over than my budget, but they look great! They must be, with how many of that line is sold out!

Most of their catalogue jumps over budget for the size I'm interested in. I checked them out before, but went away because it would be too easy to just keep raising my budget cap. I'll save that for when I get a gyuto!

Gotcha. Well, I have been deep into the knife game for many years and Jon's shop is always my first recommendation. There are a couple of other lines at his shop that are more budget friendly and worth considering. There's nothing bad that comes out of JKI.

While most in the game hold JKI at the top of the pyramid, things get murky after the No. 1 spot. My other recommendation is Carbon Knife Co. in Colorado. Craig and Tina, the owners, are both very nice people. If you end up calling them or Jon at any point, you're welcome to say Elliot recommended you chat with them. Craig has a lot of different makers in house.

If I am being frank, those are the only two shops I recommend at 12/10 in the U.S. There are a handful of other good shops, though. Across the pond, Modern Cooking is great. If you message Peter, the owner, he'll be able to advise as well. I helped him a lot with connections when he was getting started.

If you ever have knife questions (cooking knives that is, I am not much for weaponry), I know far more than I should.

I went to roast some potatoes last week, and they were less than stellar. Lots of little nasty spots that needed to be taken off before cooking.

I grabbed my 80mm petty, and got to work. It was good enough for the spot-removal. When using it to cube up the spuds, I realized I have a niche to fill. It was able to cut them, but it suuuuucked at halving the potatoes, and it was just okay for slicing the halves.

I don't want to use 2 knives everytime I clean up and cut potatoes. This means I get to buy a new knife!

I gotta bump something off my knife rack, so bye-bye filet knife I stopped using when I stopped fishing!

So:

I guess my budget maxes out at $100.

I do not want another VG10 knife; I've been unhappy with the two I've owned.

I'm not afraid of carbon steel patina, but I'd rather it be less reactive or stainless.

Any recommendations?

Are you using the tip of the knife for spot removal on your spuds?

My opinion fwiw - I would get a nakiri, and use the heel of it for stuff like that.

Or indeed the heel of any knife. I don't have a potato on me atm, though you get the gist...

IMG-6306.jpg

BUT HOW DID I TAKE THAT PICTURE?!?!?!????

Are you using the tip of the knife for spot removal on your spuds?

My opinion fwiw - I would get a nakiri, and use the heel of it for stuff like that.
I was and am using the tip for spot removal.

A nakiri always seemed to me like a less cool cai dao. That may be my defense to not stumbling deep into the Japanese knife rabbit hole, or a fierce loyalty to that blade that shook up my knife universe.

I ended up getting a Takayuki 150mm TUS petty. It's just okay for slicing taters, but it's pretty great for trimming fat off of cheap pork tenderloin! I swapped out my Victorinox filet knife for it. I stopped using that one when I stopped fishing.

The Takayuki needs some smoothing on the spine and choil. It's pretty uncomfortable in a pinch grip. I like it though, especially for the price!

I just ordered a "Tsunehisa AS Kurochi Tsuchime 135mm Petty" from Tokushu Knife. When it arrives I'll post some images and my initial thoughts. This will be my 3rd purchase from them. I don't buy really 'high-end' kitchen knives, I'm not an Executive Chef, nor am I an advanced hobbyist. But, I do like well-made tools. The Dao Vua 'Chinese Vegetable Cleaver' and the 'Honesuki' are both entry level, but effective kitchen tools.

After using the same 'bargain' set of s.s. knives for the last 35 years it was time for a change.

b/r

ON_1

1000001692.jpg

After a few weeks with my new 'Petty' it has become my favorite kitchen knife. Originally, I thought it would be too big for a Paring knife, but I was wrong. It ends up being the perfect size for lots of cutting task. It's sharp! Very sharp. The overall visual appeal of the knife is obvious. It's a great knife.

b/r

ON_1

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A lightweight, sharp, pointed knife will remove eyes and blemishes and make short work of most any cutting job. My 10" Sabatier chef's knife does those things and pretty much anything else. It is light enough that I can flute a mushroom with it if I hold it sort of like a pencil! I also agree a Nakiri or a gyuto can handle these chores.

Top Bottom