What's new

Looking for a new MILD DE.

DE89 is a mild razor and a great choice! I can burn thru a shave with poor technique with mine, and not have it bite me (as long as I'm using a good blade.)

Ball end Tech would be my vote as well, there is a reason it was so popular. If you want something shiny get one replated. Whatever you choose to get enjoy your shave!

I am sure that my technique is at fault, but the DE89(Muhle R89) is actually too aggressive for me. Paying close attention to angle etc it still tears up my neck. The closed side of the iKon OSS on the other hand, perfect. I have the Feather AS-D2 on order as of last night!

The 34c and R89 are not mild?

I cannot say for certain because I have never used one. But, I can't for the life of me believe any non-adjustable is as mild as my SS was.

Everything I've read about those models are that they are great for beginners.
I can't speak for that either because I don't recommend anyone start out with a mild razor. Using a very aggressive razor is like trial by fire. You don't end up with bad technique after learning with an aggressive razor. It's my personal believe that no razor is "too aggressive", else no one would ever be able to use a straight razor.

And why an "open comb model"? What's the difference? Thanks.
I prefer open comb because I have a coarse hairs which seem to cut easier with it. To me an open-comb requires no effort, which every closed-comb razor I've used has. I'm only on my first open-comb, and I've actually only used a total of 5 different DE razors, so perhaps someone else with more experience can answer better.

I just had my first shave with a new EJ DE89BA11 Barley. I used Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap and Geo. F. Trumpers Coconut Oil Shave Cream to create a lather in my Becker scuttle. My blade is the Feather. What a nice razor and a great shave. This is my new main razor.

My first ever razor was the EJ DE89L and I progressed to open combs which I love, and I now have 8 of them and counting! Anyway I decided to have a chop of my EJ DE89 last week with a Feather blade that was already 4 shaves old and boy oh boy what a superb shave it gave me. The EJ DE89 is a superb close comb and they look fantastic and it is far from mild as it does a great job. I am tempted to buy a Merkur 42C (1904) just to see what they are like. But tell me this, are the Merkur close comb heads all the same? Is the 42C head the same as the one on the 34C HD? If so I may go for the highly praised 34C HD but hopefully it os not mild like their 11C.

The Feather (the AS-D2 recently entered the market). The EJ89. The Atlas or Titan M1. The Tech.

But mostly, the Feather AS-D2.

Top Bottom