What's new

Looking for a new gun safe

My current one has been full for a long time. Tonight I was looking at Cannon's and Browning's. Paying close attention to their temperature ratings during a fire. I really don't need a 48 gun safe. A 20 to 25 gun safe would work. I'm leaning towards the Browning. What's the B&B team recommend?

I have a Liberty safe. It is an excellent safe with a great reputation. I highly recommend looking at them.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Yea, this was just the first store I happened on tonight. I have known that Liberty is top shelf. I made the post on Brownings reputation. Plan on checking all of them out. The one I have now is cheap.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Liberty safe. It is an excellent safe with a great reputation. I highly recommend looking at them.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

^^^This.

I've been very happy with mine. Got a 12 gun Liberty Centurion on sale at Atwoods for $400. Seems good and solid.

Their 24 gun shows to be $750 MSRP so you might be able to find it for about $600-$650 or so. That model only has a 30 minute fire rating at 1200F though. I'm more concerned about burglars.

Liberty Centurion Gun Safe | Liberty Gun Safe for Sale

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My current one has been full for a long time. Tonight I was looking at Cannon's and Browning's. Paying close attention to their temperature ratings during a fire. I really don't need a 48 gun safe. A 20 to 25 gun safe would work. I'm leaning towards the Browning. What's the B&B team recommend?

My suggestion would be to hold off until the Christmas shopping season is upon us. Whatever price for a certain sized safe that you can get right now, might be only half that come the day after Thanksgiving.

Good idea Okie, but I have available cash now and want go ahead and buy one before I spend the funds on a pistol that I have been eye-balling. I am sure you know how that can be.

Black Friday is coming. We got a good deal on a Liberty a couple of years ago. Sometimes Costco has some good safes with good prices in the fall, too, so they might be worth checking out. Then you might have a little left over to put towards that next pistol.

^^^This.

I've been very happy with mine. Got a 12 gun Liberty Centurion on sale at Atwoods for $400. Seems good and solid.

Their 24 gun shows to be $750 MSRP so you might be able to find it for about $600-$650 or so. That model only has a 30 minute fire rating at 1200F though. I'm more concerned about burglars.

Liberty Centurion Gun Safe | Liberty Gun Safe for Sale
The Brownings shows 90 minutes at 1400 degrees. But breakins do concern me.

EF197ABC-50DD-44C3-AD9F-611CEAE709EE.jpeg
A few years back I did a LOT of research on gun safes before buying mine...a Liberty Fatboy Jr.
Only other safe to make the cut was Fort Knox but Liberty was a much better value.
One thing...concerning storage space....
A rifle counts for one for the most part.
A scoped rifle counts as two.
Mine is a 48 gun safe. Nowhere near 48 guns in there and it is pretty much full.
Another nice thing about Liberty...the shelves are extremely adjustable and can configure easily to your arsenal.

I have a Browning and a Cannon. The only real advantage the Browning has is a glossy paint job.

They are all Residential Security Containers according to UL, not safes. Any of them can easily be breached by a guy coming with intention to steal your guns. A ten buck angle grinder from Harbor Freight will open any RSC on the market. Sure, a " gunsafe" will probably stop kids and crackheads, but not a thief coming armed to open your box.

The fire rating is achieved with dry wall in the box. A RSC with a higher rating simply has an thicker layer of drywall. No matter the rating, the contents probably won't fair well in a complete burn down of a house. I just looked...My Browning has a 1200/30 rating. My Cannon has a 1200/60 rating. Most house fires are longer than an hour.

Last edited:
SecureIt gun storage was the route I went. Many advantages & modularity options. No issues with rust, secure easily, and very easy to grow my storage when needed. Worth reading up on.

I purchased my Champion about six months ago and I have been very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have owned my 28 gun Browning for many years. I like it. Not sure how good it is since nobody has ever tried to break into it and I've been blessed to have not suffered a fire.

I've got a 35-gun Liberty. Have had it for almost 20 years. It's never been tested against fire or theft, but I'm happy with it. Mine is basically like the Franklin 35-gun they sell today.

Liberty also makes the safes for Cabela's and Bass Pro shops and they frequently have very good sales on them.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good idea Okie, but I have available cash now and want go ahead and buy one before I spend the funds on a pistol that I have been eye-balling. I am sure you know how that can be.

Yes I do... That's why I would buy the pistol and then just hide it under my perfectly good mattress. ;)

Top Bottom