What's new

Looking for a new gun safe

My current one has been full for a long time. Tonight I was looking at Cannon's and Browning's. Paying close attention to their temperature ratings during a fire. I really don't need a 48 gun safe. A 20 to 25 gun safe would work. I'm leaning towards the Browning. What's the B&B team recommend?

I have a Liberty safe. It is an excellent safe with a great reputation. I highly recommend looking at them.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Yea, this was just the first store I happened on tonight. I have known that Liberty is top shelf. I made the post on Brownings reputation. Plan on checking all of them out. The one I have now is cheap.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Liberty safe. It is an excellent safe with a great reputation. I highly recommend looking at them.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

^^^This.

I've been very happy with mine. Got a 12 gun Liberty Centurion on sale at Atwoods for $400. Seems good and solid.

Their 24 gun shows to be $750 MSRP so you might be able to find it for about $600-$650 or so. That model only has a 30 minute fire rating at 1200F though. I'm more concerned about burglars.

Liberty Centurion Gun Safe | Liberty Gun Safe for Sale

My current one has been full for a long time. Tonight I was looking at Cannon's and Browning's. Paying close attention to their temperature ratings during a fire. I really don't need a 48 gun safe. A 20 to 25 gun safe would work. I'm leaning towards the Browning. What's the B&B team recommend?

My suggestion would be to hold off until the Christmas shopping season is upon us. Whatever price for a certain sized safe that you can get right now, might be only half that come the day after Thanksgiving.

Good idea Okie, but I have available cash now and want go ahead and buy one before I spend the funds on a pistol that I have been eye-balling. I am sure you know how that can be.

Black Friday is coming. We got a good deal on a Liberty a couple of years ago. Sometimes Costco has some good safes with good prices in the fall, too, so they might be worth checking out. Then you might have a little left over to put towards that next pistol.

^^^This.

I've been very happy with mine. Got a 12 gun Liberty Centurion on sale at Atwoods for $400. Seems good and solid.

Their 24 gun shows to be $750 MSRP so you might be able to find it for about $600-$650 or so. That model only has a 30 minute fire rating at 1200F though. I'm more concerned about burglars.

Liberty Centurion Gun Safe | Liberty Gun Safe for Sale
The Brownings shows 90 minutes at 1400 degrees. But breakins do concern me.

EF197ABC-50DD-44C3-AD9F-611CEAE709EE.jpeg
A few years back I did a LOT of research on gun safes before buying mine...a Liberty Fatboy Jr.
Only other safe to make the cut was Fort Knox but Liberty was a much better value.
One thing...concerning storage space....
A rifle counts for one for the most part.
A scoped rifle counts as two.
Mine is a 48 gun safe. Nowhere near 48 guns in there and it is pretty much full.
Another nice thing about Liberty...the shelves are extremely adjustable and can configure easily to your arsenal.

I have a Browning and a Cannon. The only real advantage the Browning has is a glossy paint job.

They are all Residential Security Containers according to UL, not safes. Any of them can easily be breached by a guy coming with intention to steal your guns. A ten buck angle grinder from Harbor Freight will open any RSC on the market. Sure, a " gunsafe" will probably stop kids and crackheads, but not a thief coming armed to open your box.

The fire rating is achieved with dry wall in the box. A RSC with a higher rating simply has an thicker layer of drywall. No matter the rating, the contents probably won't fair well in a complete burn down of a house. I just looked...My Browning has a 1200/30 rating. My Cannon has a 1200/60 rating. Most house fires are longer than an hour.

Last edited:
SecureIt gun storage was the route I went. Many advantages & modularity options. No issues with rust, secure easily, and very easy to grow my storage when needed. Worth reading up on.

I purchased my Champion about six months ago and I have been very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have owned my 28 gun Browning for many years. I like it. Not sure how good it is since nobody has ever tried to break into it and I've been blessed to have not suffered a fire.

I've got a 35-gun Liberty. Have had it for almost 20 years. It's never been tested against fire or theft, but I'm happy with it. Mine is basically like the Franklin 35-gun they sell today.

Liberty also makes the safes for Cabela's and Bass Pro shops and they frequently have very good sales on them.

Good idea Okie, but I have available cash now and want go ahead and buy one before I spend the funds on a pistol that I have been eye-balling. I am sure you know how that can be.

Yes I do... That's why I would buy the pistol and then just hide it under my perfectly good mattress. ;)

Top Bottom