What's new

looking for a new boar brush

i have tried out paa's red rocket and its ok. i really like the handle but the knot just seems to big and its just to soft for me, i like the backbone of a boar brush. would anyone know of boar brush that has a simliar style handle to the red rocket with a slightly smaller knot? the knot on the red rocket is gynormus. looking for a knot maybe a step down from that particular one. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated

Get an omega boar from connaught shaving. Just avoid the pro series because they might be too big.

Omegas are great brushes but their handles are nothing to shout home about.
You could get a 10104 n extract it into your PAA. Both are 26mm I think.

I love their 24mm knots as I find their bigger brushes huge. I love the 11126 n 11137.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I agree with @mawashi about the Omega boar brushes. Very good knots, but not great handles in general. That being said, the Omega 11126 has a shape somewhat close to the one you like.

Last edited:
i have tried out paa's red rocket and its ok. i really like the handle but the knot just seems to big and its just to soft for me, i like the backbone of a boar brush. would anyone know of boar brush that has a simliar style handle to the red rocket with a slightly smaller knot? the knot on the red rocket is gynormus. looking for a knot maybe a step down from that particular one. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated

If the Red Rocket has a 26mm knot then maybe a 24mm boar would be a good fit? The Omega 11126 is a good suggestion, and it's one I'd second and maybe add the 11137 & 10005 to brushes to consider.

Connaught's jade handle boar is about $30 delivered. Best boar I have used. It is good sized.

Semogue 610 is a good one in a smaller size.

I agree omega boar are amazing. I have one that’s 15+ years old still going strong.

I just bought the omega 48. That thing is huge!

im thinking a 24mm knot would be good, the main thing is the the handle, i have a boar brush right know and it has a smaller handle and it seems to take forever to whip up a good lather, and when i do get a lather going it ends up on my hand and the brush because its smaller and gets lost in the lather, i use a scuttle to lather with, which is why i want a brush with a longer handle. something similiar to the red rockets handle

yea, thats exactly what im looking for, a taller brush with a better handle, not really a fan of the short stubby ones. if i cant find anything else i may check out htat zenith with the blue handle. looks like it would whip up a mean lather

how are 28 mm knots for scuttle lathering? i noticed when using my red rocktet that it would force the lather over the sides of the bowl, would a boar brush be better for building a lather in a scuttle first. i was thinking about going with a 28mm knot instead of going down to a 26 or 24 because i usaully do a 3 shave pass plus shave my head as well. usually i have to reload by the time i get to my head shave

If you are looking for something that is not too big like the Omega professional brushes, you should probably consider the Zenith brushes that have a 24mm knot and a 57mm loft. I have a few of these brushes and to me they are the perfect size, they work well, hold lather well and the splay seems to be on the money. Compared to all the other boar brushes out there of comparison i find these brushes are at the top of the heap...and they are not expensive :)
zenith boar chrome.jpg
zenith plastic.jpg

how are 28 mm knots for scuttle lathering? i noticed when using my red rocktet that it would force the lather over the sides of the bowl, would a boar brush be better for building a lather in a scuttle first. i was thinking about going with a 28mm knot instead of going down to a 26 or 24 because i usaully do a 3 shave pass plus shave my head as well. usually i have to reload by the time i get to my head shave
I use a Zenith 28 mm boar to bowl lather without any issues. I'm not sure how your scuttle is shaped. I find that a bowl shaped with a ridge to hold in lather works best for me. Here is the one I use most often.
proxy.php

If you are looking for something that is not too big like the Omega professional brushes, you should probably consider the Zenith brushes that have a 24mm knot and a 57mm loft. I have a few of these brushes and to me they are the perfect size, they work well, hold lather well and the splay seems to be on the money. Compared to all the other boar brushes out there of comparison i find these brushes are at the top of the heap...and they are not expensive :)
View attachment 1007439 View attachment 1007440
I have the ivory handle one and I'm a bit confused. It feels so full and dense but at the same time, it eats up lather like no other. I definitely had some good shaves with it but other times, I am left with thin lather after the first pass. I'm still breaking it in so more to follow...

I would suggest a Stirling boar or Semogue 1250. Both of them very similar, balanced features but Stirling boar is a bit more rough and dense while Semogue 1250 is softer and less dense. Both are great choices in my opinion.

I have 2 semogue owner’s club boars. Once in the ivory resin handle and one cherry wood. They are incredible. I have a zenith i also like, but the semogue soc are my favourite all time brush at this point

Really like the looks of the Zenith. I have a Stirling and absolutely love it! Takes a while to break in but worth it! Nice handles....cheap

Top Bottom