What's new

looking for a new bbq/smoker

im looking for a new smoker that i can both bbq with and learn to smoke with, i'd like to get a quality offset smoker not one of those cheap overpirced ones that have at lowes or home depot, does anyone have a recommendation for something in the 1000 dollar range that would be of good quality? any thoughts would be greatly apreciated thanks!

If you're looking for a quality offset smoker and your budget is only $1000, then the Old Country brand ( Academy is one place that sells them) is likely your best bet.

You can try to get lucky looking at used ones online, but the good brands like LSG and Shirley keep their value.

Wood smokers require dedication. Up at 3 am to start the fire. 8 hours or more watching, feeding, adjusting. It is worth the time invested if you have it to invest.

I have an embarrassing number of grills + smokers and have owned too many over the years to list.

If I could only have 1 cooker, it would be the Weber 26" kettle. Big enough for a large brisket, several racks of ribs or a Thanksgiving Turkey and holds enough fuel for a longer burn. This is THE cooker to learn on.

I have an embarrassing number of grills + smokers and have owned too many over the years to list.

If I could only have 1 cooker, it would be the Weber 26" kettle. Big enough for a large brisket, several racks of ribs or a Thanksgiving Turkey and holds enough fuel for a longer burn. This is THE cooker to learn on.
do you use your weber for smoking? ive got an old 22 inch beat up weber but ive only ever used charcol in it.

do you use your weber for smoking? ive got an old 22 inch beat up weber but ive only ever used charcol in it.

I use my Weber kettles for smoking all the time. Charcoal and wood chunks.

Your 22" beat up Weber will be great for smoking so long as the seal is decent and lower and upper vents are good. You'll be shocked at how well it holds temperature. Look up recipes and videos on how to cook a pork Boston butt on the kettle. It's the best cut of meat to learn with.

I use my Weber kettles for smoking all the time. Charcoal and wood chunks.

Your 22" beat up Weber will be great for smoking so long as the seal is decent and lower and upper vents are good. You'll be shocked at how well it holds temperature. Look up recipes and videos on how to cook a pork Boston butt on the kettle. It's the best cut of meat to learn with.
hmm...the vents are kinda frozen in place so theres no real way for temprautre control, maybe ill look into getting the 26 you posted, at some point i would like to get an offset cooker, or something bigger, sometimes im cooking for 9 people. when you are smoking do you keep the be bottom grill in or do you take it out? the one the charcol/wood goes onto.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have heard good things about Old Country, although I've never cooked on one. It does fit your budget, and I've always been impressed that they use 1/4" steel (at least, they did the last time I looked at them). Many of the offsets you find at Home Depot and stores like it use 1/8" steel.

If you want something that does darn near as good a job as an offset but without the trouble, you can get some mighty good pellet cookers right around $1,000.00 or less. I love my Camp Chef Lux 36, and it runs right around $800 these days. The new Wifi Woodwinds sound interesting, too.

However, if you want to run an offset the old-fashioned way, I'm the last person to tell you not to do it. It takes a lot of tending, but it sure is fun if you love it (and I do).

hmm...the vents are kinda frozen in place so theres no real way for temprautre control, maybe ill look into getting the 26 you posted, at some point i would like to get an offset cooker, or something bigger, sometimes im cooking for 9 people. when you are smoking do you keep the be bottom grill in or do you take it out? the one the charcol/wood goes onto.
Charcoal grate always stays in. Load the charcoal to one side and light the corner. Easy 8 he burn at 250°F.

Time for you to go down the YouTube Weber smoking rabbit hole.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Charcoal grate always stays in. Load the charcoal to one side and light the corner. Easy 8 he burn at 250°F.

Time for you to go down the YouTube Weber smoking rabbit hole.

that sounds like a good idea!!

I have heard good things about Old Country, although I've never cooked on one. It does fit your budget, and I've always been impressed that they use 1/4" steel (at least, they did the last time I looked at them). Many of the offsets you find at Home Depot and stores like it use 1/8" steel.

If you want something that does darn near as good a job as an offset but without the trouble, you can get some mighty good pellet cookers right around $1,000.00 or less. I love my Camp Chef Lux 36, and it runs right around $800 these days. The new Wifi Woodwinds sound interesting, too.

However, if you want to run an offset the old-fashioned way, I'm the last person to tell you not to do it. It takes a lot of tending, but it sure is fun if you love it (and I do).
i was kinda thinking about going this route for the time being, i live in socal atm but as soon as i can i wanna move outta the city its just to crowded here and a big smoker doesnt really make sense nor do i have the room for it atm, and move somewhere a bit more rural and slow paced and get a smoker, maybe a pellet grill would be the way to go for the time being

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have the the Old Country Pecos offset stick burner. Heavy SOB with wheels. It has not failed me one time. It takes fussing with, but thats my operandi. Finding a good source of wood is another challenge.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have the the Old Country Pecos offset stick burner. Heavy SOB with wheels. It has not failed me one time. It takes fussing with, but thats my operandi. Finding a good source of wood is another challenge.

I can help with that...if you wanna come cut it and haul it.

Oh, wait. You may not want to be around me. Got a call from my Doctor's office this morning...nurse said that the last time I was in there, a couple of weeks ago, that I had been exposed to the virus. She said the County Health Dept. had asked them to call their patients.

But the good news...nurse said I'm just out of the incubation period and if I wasn't sick now I should be fine.

It was nice of them to call me in a timely manner.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I can help with that...if you wanna come cut it and haul it.

Oh, wait. You may not want to be around me. Got a call from my Doctor's office this morning...nurse said that the last time I was in there, a couple of weeks ago, that I had been exposed to the virus. She said the County Health Dept. had asked them to call their patients.

But the good news...nurse said I'm just out of the incubation period and if I wasn't sick now I should be fine.

It was nice of them to call me in a timely manner.
Ha...I've already had the 19 back in February. Got it from a Houston hospital...so I'm immune.

...don't get all freaked out. Its only wood.

I purchased a 22.5 Webber Smokey Mountain and love it. I also got a PartyQ temperature controller and find it fantastic. Just set it and go.

I purchased a 22.5 Webber Smokey Mountain and love it. I also got a PartyQ temperature controller and find it fantastic. Just set it and go.
Everything Weber makes is sturdy and does an excellent job of cooking. The Smokey Mountain has been around a long time for a reason. Your cooker will give you many years of wonderful results.

Everything Weber makes is sturdy and does an excellent job of cooking. The Smokey Mountain has been around a long time for a reason. Your cooker will give you many years of wonderful results.
Smokey Mountains are great cookers and there's a cult like following so plenty of resources to pull from.
That said, the 26" Weber Kettle at ~$150 less than the 22.5" Smokey Mountain is a lower cost and more versatile option IMO. Lots of great accessories can be had for the $150 price difference. Grillgrates, tiptop temp control, SNS (really don't need it but convenient)....

Top Bottom