What's new

Looking for a new Adjustable razor …

hi folks
i started from 2 months wet DE safety razors with Gillette King C which is very mild to me …
Also tried Lord L125 razor its a way better / more aggressive than King C and give me nice and BBS shave …

Now i need an upgrade to Adjustable de razor to control the aggression …

My forums researches/youtubers reviews conclude the Merkur progress long / Parker variant / Merkur futur

As per forums info regarding blade gap the king c is abt 0.7 mm - the Lord is about 1 mm. - progress & variant 0.34 upto 0.95 mm. - futur start 1 mm upto 1.65 mm

Is progress/Variant at max settings will be less agression than Lord ??

Or futur at its min. setting will be a good satisfied point and can be much aggressive in case I need it ???

Pls advise yr recommendations
It is much appreciated
thks

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I can only speak for the Progress witch is my favorite razor in my humble collection at the minute. Also it doesn't stop at 5 as you can dial past the plus sign so you end up with 6 - 7 but I wouldn't advise this as I once had over a weeks growth and with a nacet blade at set at 5 this little razor destroyed it in 3 passes and left me with a BBS with no irritation. But then I've only tried the Progress so the other razors you mentioned could be much better 😉

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Honestly.... I heard that there may be an adjustable razor or two coming up in the St. Sue auction....

But I don't think you will find anyone who dislikes a Slim adjustable by Gillette from over a half century ago. Or a Fatboy *giggle*.

I can only speak for the Progress witch is my favorite razor in my humble collection at the minute. Also it doesn't stop at 5 as you can dial past the plus sign so you end up with 6 - 7 but I wouldn't advise this as I once had over a weeks growth and with a nacet blade at set at 5 this little razor destroyed it in 3 passes and left me with a BBS with no irritation. But then I've only tried the Progress so the other razors you mentioned could be much better 😉
thanks Dave for yr reply ..
I’m loving the progress .. but afraid that it will not be much aggressive when i need to ..

All three are excellent adjustable razors. The Merkur Futur is the most aggressive. I have tough "old man" white whiskers, and on the Futur the modest setting of 1.5 or 2 is fine. It has a sophisticated appearance.

The Parker Variant is slightly more "utilitarian" in appearance. That's not necessarily a negative.

And the Merkur Progress has been around since circa 1955. What does that say?

Last edited:
The Progress will open up plenty wide. No need to worry about that.
users as you said can pass the 5 + to another 5 turns :)
so from yr experience at +7 the blade still tight and firm or beginning to be loose ??? thanks ..

It has been said the Merkur Futur is all the razor most people would ever need. I tend to agree. It covers all the bases when dealing with mild/aggressive issues and is a well engineered bit of goods. I’m going to part ways with mine because…there just ain’t no substitute for a well honed straight razor. 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-18-23-54-02-357_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-18-23-54-02-357_com.android.chrome.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 16
I have owned three adjustable razors, a Gillette Super Adjustable "black beauty" bought new in the 1970's, a Progress which I used daily for a few years and a Futur which is now part of an 8 razor rotation. The size of the Futur can be a bit off-putting at first, but at the lower settings it is a mild and very smooth razor. At higher settings the blade feel is more noticeable, but it's still a very smooth and efficient razor. I generally use it at 4.5, but occasionally move it up or down .5. At those settings I find it matches my Blackland Dart, Muhle Rocca and EJ 3one6 for efficiency.

I have owned three adjustable razors, a Gillette Super Adjustable "black beauty" bought new in the 1970's, a Progress which I used daily for a few years and a Futur which is now part of an 8 razor rotation. The size of the Futur can be a bit off-putting at first, but at the lower settings it is a mild and very smooth razor. At higher settings the blade feel is more noticeable, but it's still a very smooth and efficient razor. I generally use it at 4.5, but occasionally move it up or down .5. At those settings I find it matches my Blackland Dart, Muhle Rocca and EJ 3one6 for efficiency.
thanks for reply
can you advise progress max 5 setting to nearly which futur setting ??

Both the Progress and the Flexi are solid choices depending on what you're looking for. The Progress is more aggressive and efficient on the higher settings, but the Flexi is much smoother.

thanks for reply
can you advise progress max 5 setting to nearly which futur setting ??
Sorry, it's been too long since I used the Progress for me to be sure, and I don't own it anymore so I can't directly compare the two. My recollection is that the max setting on the Progress would be like a 4 on the Futur.

I've had all of these. I live the futur. The progress was ok. I think I prefer the rockwell 6s the most compared to these. And of course the rex ambassador is my favorite adjustable razor but much more expensive
thanks
unfortunately 6s is out of stock at amazon.
for rex ambassador amazon will invoice nearly twice price for shipping/tax/customs!!

Top Bottom