What's new

Looking for a More Efficient Razor

Hey all, I've been using the RR MJ90A for a few weeks and I'm just starting to learn how to not put pressure and let the blade do the work, which was easier said than done, but I'm getting there. I like the MJ90A but I wish it was a little more efficient. The problem is when I have to go over the same spot because is not cutting the hair and then I tend to put pressure which results in irritation.
So I'm looking for a razor that has the same smoothness and quality of MJ90A but that's a little more efficient. I wouldn't want to get a very aggressive razor, though. I'm basing this reason on the experience I've had with the MJ90A.

I was thinking of getting the Merkur 34C, but I'm not really sure.

Recommendation?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Before you get another razor, have you tried going across the grain? Sometimes hair grows all sorts of directions. Also, prep could be a factor. A well hydrated whisker results in a better cut for me.

Kindly,
Adam

Merkur 34C is a little more efficient, but soon you may find it lacking. Get an adjustable razor. They exist for this very reason.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Before you get another razor, have you tried going across the grain? Sometimes hair grows all sorts of directions. Also, prep could be a factor. A well hydrated whisker results in a better cut for me.

Kindly,
Adam
I agree with Adam, also what blade are you using? Blades are less money than a new razor
Also Technique is the key with any Razor.

I agree with Adam, also what blade are you using? Blades are less money than a new razor

+2! A few thoughts as your technique is likely evolving rapidly at this point:
1. Focus on improving your prep to hydrate your beard well before starting.
2. Map your beard to understand precisely what you are doing with each pass.
3. Work your way through a blade sampler pack or two.

You may get the results you want with improved technique and an optimal blade!

I agree that technique should be your primary focus, but for a razor that is still very smooth and comfortable, yet also very efficient, you can’t beat the RR Game Changer .84. Heck of a value, too, for a razor CNC machined in marine grade SS.

The Merkur 34C is also a good razor, but for only a couple Chipotle bowls more, you can have a premium SS razor in the GC84.

I have a coarse beard and have DE razors that range in aggressiveness from the very mild VDH TTO to the Muhle R41. I do not have a RR MJ90A, but understand that it is moderately aggressive.

I can get a decent shave from any of the razors as long as I pair it with the right blade and have good technique. I do not know which blades the OP is currently using. If he is using a mild blade: Derby Extra, Shark Super Chrome, Merkur, VDH, and finds these are not aggressive enough, a sharper blade will help.

I have found that some of the sharpest blades are: BIC Chrome Platinum, Permasharp Super, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and Personna Israeli Reds and German Wilkinson Sword Classics. Feather blades also fall into that category, but while they are extremely sharp out of the wrapper, the edge tends to deteriorate quickly while the other blades hold their edge a while longer. Other less common blades that I also find to be very sharp are the new Shark Platinum, Dorco Prime Platinum STP301, and SuperMax Blue Diamond. Although I love these blades in mild to moderately aggressive razors, I hesitate using them in the aggressive Muhle R41 as my skin is quite sensitive.

There are a lot of excellent mid-sharp blades: Astra Superior Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'clock Green, 7 O'Clock Yellow, Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and Polsilver Super Iridium, etc. These will work in most razors.

One of the more popular blade is Astra Superior Platinum. I find them to be OK in an aggressive razor, but they are not quite sharp enough for my beard in less aggressive razors. They are inexpensive, so be sure to try them to see if they work for you.

The only way to find out which blades work best for you is to try them. Blades are very personal depending upon your razor, your beard, your skin type, and you shaving technique. Thus, I highly suggest you obtain a DE blade sampler pack containing at least a dozen different blade brands ranging from the mildest (Derby Extra and Shark SC/SS) to the sharpest (Feather). It is best to get at least five blades from each brand as testing one or two blades might not provide a sufficient evaluation. If you purchase a new razor, you need to go back through the evaluation process again as blades that may be perfect in one razor, might not work so well in another.

Thank you all kindly for the advice.

I've already used a few different blades (Feather, Personna, Wilkinsons, Nacet, Gillette SB). To be honest, I can't tell the difference between them, yet. Today I used a new Astra SP and I got a gratifying DFS. Will sample more...

I do one pass WTG and then one across the grain, plus touch-ups. I skip the middle pass. It's the touch-ups that give me irritations because unless I put some pressure it's not removing hair. I'd agree, it's most likely my technique which is still in the beginner phase.

The 2c/6c seem to get a lot of praise but how much of this praise is real and not infomercial hype I'm not sure. Same goes for the GC68/84. The GC68/84 is really tempting though. I think I'm just going to stick with the MJ90A until I feel my technique has improved. :001_smile

I've already used a few different blades (Feather, Personna, Wilkinsons, Nacet, Gillette SB). To be honest, I can't tell the difference between them, yet. Today I used a new Astra SP and I got a gratifying DFS. Will sample more...

I do one pass WTG and then one across the grain, plus touch-ups. I skip the middle pass. It's the touch-ups that give me irritations because unless I put some pressure it's not removing hair..... . :001_smile

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, shave with any pressure. That is a very bad habit to get into. If you have with pressure, you will be removing a layer of skin cells along with your beard hair. That is guaranteed to cause irritation. You will cause less irritation making multiple passes than you will shaving with pressure.

You did not mention which shaving soap you are using. If you are getting irritation, you need a soap with excellent primary slickness, excellent residual slickness, and excellent cushion. In particular, if you are using buffing type strokes to remove the final traces of beard hair, residual slickness protects your skin from irritation.

Also, make sure you are holding the razor at the proper angle. If the blade angle is too steep (handle is too close to your face), you will be scraping off the hair rather than slicing it. Many shaving videos are made by those who do not have sensitive skin and their shave angle is often too steep. I suggest that you place the cap of the razor flat against your cheek with the handle pointing horizontally. Then lower then handle until you just start to feel the razor blade on your skin. If you start with the safety bar against your cheek and the handle vertical and then raise the handle until you feel the blade, you are likely to end up at a steeper angle rather than a more shallow one that is better for those with sensitive skin.

Also, have you "mapped" your beard so you know the grain direction? While we often assume that shaving top to bottom is WTG and ear to chin is XTG, that may or may not be the case. On my jaw line, top to bottom is XTG and ear to chin is ATG.

Also, since you are still learning, do not insist on getting a baby butt smooth BBS shave. Strive for a close, comfortable CCS shave and then as your skill level improves, you can try to get even closer.

Once your technique and prep allows for against the grain shaving, you will see a huge difference in smoothness.

You can get a Muhle R41 head only for peanuts and it is the king, prince and duke of efficient razors. Probably the best bargain in DE razors, and a masterpiece. You won't want anything more efficient. Load a Nacet, GSB or Astra SP and you'll get a smooth face in one pass and cleanups. Needs a good handle, though.

I have a coarse beard and have DE razors that range in aggressiveness from the very mild VDH TTO to the Muhle R41. I do not have a RR MJ90A, but understand that it is moderately aggressive.

I can get a decent shave from any of the razors as long as I pair it with the right blade and have good technique. I do not know which blades the OP is currently using. If he is using a mild blade: Derby Extra, Shark Super Chrome, Merkur, VDH, and finds these are not aggressive enough, a sharper blade will help.

I have found that some of the sharpest blades are: BIC Chrome Platinum, Permasharp Super, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and Personna Israeli Reds and German Wilkinson Sword Classics. Feather blades also fall into that category, but while they are extremely sharp out of the wrapper, the edge tends to deteriorate quickly while the other blades hold their edge a while longer. Other less common blades that I also find to be very sharp are the new Shark Platinum, Dorco Prime Platinum STP301, and SuperMax Blue Diamond. Although I love these blades in mild to moderately aggressive razors, I hesitate using them in the aggressive Muhle R41 as my skin is quite sensitive.

There are a lot of excellent mid-sharp blades: Astra Superior Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'clock Green, 7 O'Clock Yellow, Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and Polsilver Super Iridium, etc. These will work in most razors.

One of the more popular blade is Astra Superior Platinum. I find them to be OK in an aggressive razor, but they are not quite sharp enough for my beard in less aggressive razors. They are inexpensive, so be sure to try them to see if they work for you.

The only way to find out which blades work best for you is to try them. Blades are very personal depending upon your razor, your beard, your skin type, and you shaving technique. Thus, I highly suggest you obtain a DE blade sampler pack containing at least a dozen different blade brands ranging from the mildest (Derby Extra and Shark SC/SS) to the sharpest (Feather). It is best to get at least five blades from each brand as testing one or two blades might not provide a sufficient evaluation. If you purchase a new razor, you need to go back through the evaluation process again as blades that may be perfect in one razor, might not work so well in another.

+1 nice straightforward blade summary!

I do one pass WTG and then one across the grain, plus touch-ups. I skip the middle pass. It's the touch-ups that give me irritations because unless I put some pressure it's not removing hair. I'd agree, it's most likely my technique which is still in the beginner phase.

The 2c/6c seem to get a lot of praise but how much of this praise is real and not infomercial hype I'm not sure. Same goes for the GC68/84. The GC68/84 is really tempting though. I think I'm just going to stick with the MJ90A until I feel my technique has improved. :001_smile

I think you are making the right decision to continue mastering the good razor you have at hand. When you are ready to change things up a little, you might want to try changing your handle first, while using the familiar MJ90A head. Weight, length, and diameter all make a difference. When DE and SE shaving got started and drove out the straight razor, handles tended to be short, skinny, and often hollow.

Once your technique and prep allows for against the grain shaving, you will see a huge difference in smoothness.

In my last post, I made a mistake - I meant to say 'against the grain' not 'across the grain' - my bad. I get a smooth shave. I can't stop stroking my face. So smooth.

I think you are making the right decision to continue mastering the good razor you have at hand. When you are ready to change things up a little, you might want to try changing your handle first, while using the familiar MJ90A head. Weight, length, and diameter all make a difference. When DE and SE shaving got started and drove out the straight razor, handles tended to be short, skinny, and often hollow.

Changing the handle to a heavier one is something I'd like to try. Can you please suggest a better handle for the MJ90A?

I bought the MJ90A on ebay. To my surprise, the seller also sent me another razor for free. This one:
EXJ-Heavy Duty Double Edge Safety Razor Clean and Perfect Edges - Granddad Style | eBay
It's the 'EXJ8 - Gold Plated Steel' one. I've never used because it's very heavy and I don't quite like the look of it. It never occurred to me to swap the handles until now. It's so much heavier than the MJ90A. I'm going to try EXJ8's handle with the MJ90A at the next shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, shave with any pressure. That is a very bad habit to get into. If you have with pressure, you will be removing a layer of skin cells along with your beard hair. That is guaranteed to cause irritation. You will cause less irritation making multiple passes than you will shaving with pressure.

You did not mention which shaving soap you are using. If you are getting irritation, you need a soap with excellent primary slickness, excellent residual slickness, and excellent cushion. In particular, if you are using buffing type strokes to remove the final traces of beard hair, residual slickness protects your skin from irritation.

Also, make sure you are holding the razor at the proper angle. If the blade angle is too steep (handle is too close to your face), you will be scraping off the hair rather than slicing it. Many shaving videos are made by those who do not have sensitive skin and their shave angle is often too steep. I suggest that you place the cap of the razor flat against your cheek with the handle pointing horizontally. Then lower then handle until you just start to feel the razor blade on your skin. If you start with the safety bar against your cheek and the handle vertical and then raise the handle until you feel the blade, you are likely to end up at a steeper angle rather than a more shallow one that is better for those with sensitive skin.

Also, have you "mapped" your beard so you know the grain direction? While we often assume that shaving top to bottom is WTG and ear to chin is XTG, that may or may not be the case. On my jaw line, top to bottom is XTG and ear to chin is ATG.

Also, since you are still learning, do not insist on getting a baby butt smooth BBS shave. Strive for a close, comfortable CCS shave and then as your skill level improves, you can try to get even closer.

There is iron in the words of @RayClem :thumbsup:

In my last post, I made a mistake - I meant to say 'against the grain' not 'across the grain' - my bad. I get a smooth shave. I can't stop stroking my face. So smooth.

Changing the handle to a heavier one is something I'd like to try. Can you please suggest a better handle for the MJ90A?

I bought the MJ90A on ebay. To my surprise, the seller also sent me another razor for free. This one:
EXJ-Heavy Duty Double Edge Safety Razor Clean and Perfect Edges - Granddad Style | eBay
It's the 'EXJ8 - Gold Plated Steel' one. I've never used because it's very heavy and I don't quite like the look of it. It never occurred to me to swap the handles until now. It's so much heavier than the MJ90A. I'm going to try EXJ8's handle with the MJ90A at the next shave.

"Edward Jacob Heavy Duty Double Edge Safety Razor Clean and Perfect Edges - Granddad Style"

proxy.php

I lost the thread there for a bit! I am a short, light handle guy myself, so I’m not the one to recommend a heavier handle. I assume your razor has the 90mm SS Halo handle, which is quite heavy by my standards.

I do have a double wide West Coast Shaving SS handle that I will never use again. I think it is the 175 gram monster. If you are CONUS I would be happy to PIF it to you. Just PM me. It will make an excellent doorstop, if nothing else.

+1 on technique. It’s even more important than the blades. Really pay attention to the way your beards grows. Too many shaving videos show the WTG pass as straight down the cheeks. My WTG is an angle from the the top to the corner of my jaw. XTG is an angel down from the top to my chin. ATG is of course from the corner of my jaw angled up to the top. I’m 58 and I have a really tough beard. I have an MJ90A and I get a 3 pass BBS, no irritation. It is a nice razor.

You can get a Muhle R41 head only for peanuts and it is the king, prince and duke of efficient razors. Probably the best bargain in DE razors, and a masterpiece. You won't want anything more efficient. Load a Nacet, GSB or Astra SP and you'll get a smooth face in one pass and cleanups. Needs a good handle, though.
+1 on the R41. 2 pass BBS for me.

Top Bottom