What's new

Looking for a More Aggressive Single Edge

Hello All. A few months ago I started using a OneBlade Genesis. I liked the feel of the razor generally but the shave is not quite aggressive enough or me. I've been pairing the razor with the recommended Feather FHS-10 so I think the blade is not where the problem is, but please tell me if you disagree. Thanks for the input. Best, Sam

You could look at the Asylum RX in feather AC format or the Rocnel Gem razor in modern razors.

My favourite "aggressive" razor is the vintage Gem Micromatic OC razor !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

The sky is the limit! The Feather FHS blade is garbage! Try a despined GEM SS PTFE blade in your Genesis and you will notice a difference. It may or may not have to be modified depending on which Genesis you have. Pick AC, GEM or injector platform or all of them and be amazed.

I had tried the OneBlade core and just couldn't get as close as my DEs get me. It took considerable pressure and multiple passes to even get a decent shave, ultimately returning it. As much as I've been tempted to try a Hybrid with the Genesis head, even some of the reviewers on Mantic's site mention the OneBlade (Genesis) may not shave as close as those accustomed to DEs may like. A modified GEM PTFE blade does seem to yield better results with the OneBlade razors, however all but the original (former Genesis) require some trimming to make them fit. - The GEM also fixes the other gripe with the FHS Feather blades, they're much cheaper and actually provide a greater number of shaves per blade. (I could barely get two shaves from the FHS blade, but the GEM was just breaking in after two shaves, as opposed to feeling too dull to mow down the coarse gray growth I now have).

After trying several inexpensive injectors, and other SE razors, probably the best balance of efficiency and comfort was the Gem Junior (1912 with a different handle), using a PTFE Blade. She mows down growth like a champ, but does take a little getting used to, with not so much the angle, but maneuvering the rather large head around the nose area most notably.

Can't speak for the modern and more expensive SEs, but a clean vintage GEM gives an incredibly close shave, that rivals my better DEs. Sadly it doesn't see a lot of use, as it's just quicker for me swipe with one of my favorite DEs than the GEM, but that's the one SE razor I ultimately kept.

Wow! I'm getting a real SE education here! Thanks! Please tell me more. I'm going to try a 1930's Gem Micromatic from the 1930's with Gem blades and see how that works. I'll report after I've tried it out. Thanks for the help. Best, Sam

The real problem isn’t the Genesis it’s the Feater blade! It’s as @rabidus said garbage and the only reason I sold mine.

With that said here’s a short list of Efficient and Very Efficient SE razors you might consider.

Very Efficient
Asylum RX
ATT SE 2
Gem MMOC

Efficient
ATT SE 1
Blackland Vector
Cobra Classic
Gem 1914

A bit milder
Colonial General
Paradigm SE
Gem MMCP

All of the above are more efficient than the Oneblade Genesis in my humble opinion. Some not as smooth and none of them are mildness shavers so the farther up the list you go the more important good technique is. The razors at the top of this list not only require good technique they demand your attention or they will let you know pretty quickly!

If your looking for something that doesn’t require as much focus there are some very nice injector razors when combined with the right blade are nicely efficient, very smooth and very easy to shave with but that’s another list.

Hope that helps!

There are some nice injectors that will take a hunk out if careless like the E Type Schick from the '30's.

The Micromatic has been revived here by many DE users who have discovered just what a good design they are as long as you use them as GEM prescribed.

MMOC.jpg
GEM instructions1.jpg

I agree with you on some injectors like the E Type for example but I find that there are quite a few that when compared to other AC and Gem blade razors are much easier to shave with in my experiences and a good way for newbies to get stated in wet shaving when coming from carts as I find some injectiors to be the closest to a cart in how they shave when compared to AC and DE razors. Just my humble opinion.

You always have good opinions and I agree. Later Schick models might be the ticket for a new user. I'd recommend a beautiful, vintage model branded the Golden 500 by Schick. That said, if you follow the directions provided by GEM, no harm will ensue.

With that said here’s a short list of Efficient and Very Efficient SE razors you might consider.

Very Efficient
Asylum RX
ATT SE 2
Gem MMOC

Efficient
ATT SE 1
Blackland Vector
Cobra Classic
Gem 1914

A bit milder
Colonial General
Paradigm SE
Gem MMCP

Hope that helps!
Awesome breakdown @Dragonsbeard !

I'm still waiting for my SE1 head to arrive, but based on my experiences with the BB, Windsor H, Timeless 95 SB, which you considered "Efficient" DEs, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

I always appreciate your insights

For me, this is easy to answer. For the ultimate bargain, get an MMOC and/or ClogPruf. Under $20 easy. I got all of mine between $8 and $15 a couple of years ago at this time off the popular auction site. Some came with cases. All are keepers. Order 200 blades from Connaught. One razor and the blades should bring you in under $50 for at least 4 year's worth of shaving.

Want to step it up in class and aggression? Get the ATT SE1 and/or SE2. Order Proline blades from Japan. Considerably more money, but what a shave!

You can't go wrong with either, and either one will be worlds better than the oneblade. My two cents. Good luck.

Thank you all for your help! I followed luv2shav's advice and got a 1930's vintage GEM Micromatic OC. It is more aggressive. I used a GEW stainless steel blade and was generally pleased by the result (except for one weeper).

You might also try the Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher and/or the GEM/Ever Ready 1924 Shovel Head. Both are in the same league as the MMOC as far as shave quality and agressiveness go; the handles are markedly shorter than the Micromatics if that makes a difference to you. The Schick E type is plentiful, inexpensive, and is more aggressive than the later Schicks except for the adjustable.

I may be in the minority on the quality of the FHS-10 SE blade; they perform just fine in my vintage Auto Strop razors. They do lack the PTFE coating that I prefer on GEM blades.

I also hate the FHS-10 blade and love the Micromatic. Just keep it almost flat against your face, watch your angle and watch your pressure. As you get the hang of it your shaves will get better and better.

Probably the most aggressive SE razors for me are:

Schick Injector Type E
Ever-Ready 1924
Gem MMOC
An adjustable Schick or Pal injector at a high setting

For a smooth and more efficient shave you may try the Vector SE. It is repeatably very smooth and maneuverable. I read somewhere on another forum that a shim is possible to make the cutting more efficient. Since the AC blade is thick and rigid you will need to use a grinder on the cutting edge of another AC blade to create the shim. Don't forget your eye googles. Although I have no hands on experience it sounds like a reasonable solution.

Best of luck AJ

Top Bottom