What's new

Looking for a MILD modern stainless OC razor -suggestions? lkon, ATT?

Hi All -

I am sure this has been posed before, but I am looking for a slim profile modern razor - sort of mild, preferably in stainless for decades of durability!

My first choice: I have been considering an IKON deluxe stainless OC - thought I had one purchased but the deal didn't happen - I don't like the DLC coated ones - just my preference - so they are very scarce to find either on the 'bay or on the BST forums, so I am thinking I'd like to expand my choices of what to consider based on suggestions and/or recommendations . Budget is limited...

Some info to provide context: I have my Dad's vintage Gillette Slim - love it - but I find it hard to get under the nose area for me....also have a triangular slotted Tech which I love too - mild, slim head and I know this will last till the apocalypse! :) I recently have been using an Edwin Jagger EJ89L as well, but I do fear the durability...

Any guidance to share?

I have no experience of the ATT OC set, however I have had an iKon Deluxe OC. It is a razor liking a very shallow angle and is quite mild. However, because of its weight, the first few shaves will feel quite rough as you are not used to actually lift the razor.

The quality is very good and together with a Voskhod blade, it gave wonderful shaves.

I ended up selling mine as I realized I was using R41 almost always and a stainless steel razor is quite expensive if you keep it just on the shelf.

I think the ATT might be beyond my range of funds at present! :)

Any opinion on the Ikon OSS razor with the combo open comb / standard configuration? Is the OSS an ALL stainless razor or is the head aluminum?

I just purchased a previously appreciated iKon OC, but won't be trying it until weekend. I'll certainly voice my opinion then.

I think the ATT might be beyond my range of funds at present! :)

Any opinion on the Ikon OSS razor with the combo open comb / standard configuration? Is the OSS an ALL stainless razor or is the head aluminum?
The oss is very mild if that is what you are after

Weber is (to my face) just a bit more aggressive than the EJ DE8x's. Because of the weight I find it to be more efficient than the EJ razors.

Ikon OC deluxe is a good choice. It is slightly more aggressive than an New LC but not markedly so. I prefer it to the New LC, SC, and Deluxe. I've not tried the ATT M2 but I would like to.

Weber probably gives me the most comfortable shaves (I have the iKon OC, and I have an ATT Kronos, which I love with the M1 plate; Weber is milder than that).

The ikon Deluxe OC is a nice shaver. Neither mild nor aggressive; right down the middle. Comfortable, easy shaver for me.

Okay, I've shaved now with the iKon OC. If you're looking for a MILD OC, this or the ATT M2 could both be a good choice IMHO. I'm really fond of ATT products, and am anxiously awaiting the release of their slant. But my experience today with the iKon was certainly positive. A very smooth, close shave.....with nothing in the aftermath to complain about whatsoever. It's also one of the most audible razors I've shaved with. At first I suspected it was far more aggressive than it actually was, simply due to the audio feedback I received. All in all, I'm really glad I bought it. Would I keep it over my ATT......probably not. But as I said, I've got a "thing" for ATT razors.

I have a Goodfella stainless steel OC razor head (Goodfella razors are manufactured in New Zealand) that I use on a Griest handle. It is so mild it makes a Feather AS-D2 feel like a Muhle 2011 R41. We are talking *extremely* mild. It works great with really sharp blades like Feather, and I've also enjoyed Treet carbon blades in this razor, as well as 7 O'Clock Yellow blades.

The "Goodfella" name is from New Zealand slang, not Brooklyn wiseguys....

Weber probably gives me the most comfortable shaves (I have the iKon OC, and I have an ATT Kronos, which I love with the M1 plate; Weber is milder than that).

Yes. I have seen posts confirming the same.
just adding my 2 cents (of Euro) I would say that Weber is aggressive....but forgiving. Mild is a definition I would associate with an EJ 89..but YMMV as always.

Agree that the EJ DE89 is a small step milder than the Weber. (I wouldn't put it at "aggressive" though, still -- it's less so than the ATT M1, less so than The Standard -- itself a very forgiving razor, even -- it's a lot less so than the other ATT plates or the iKon SB, and then the obvious - Fatip/Joris/R41s et al).

But yeah, some people report differently, whether that's because of some inconsistency with the razors or some overdetermined 'YMMV" factor.

Anyway, I semi-forgot that the original quest was for a mild, modern OC. I don't know the ATT M2, but if it's on par with the M1, I think it's not really all that mild; the iKon Deluxe OC really is the one that comes to mind. (A very good razor, too. The DLC coating will prevent the "tea staining" that might happen on the original stainless, but you can prevent that with taking out the blade, or swishing in 91% alcohol).

Last edited:
YMMV indeed. I find the Weber to be mildly agressive (if that's not an oxymoron), that is to say, slightly more agressive than a DE89 or Merkur 34C, about like a Red Tip Superspeed. OTOH, I consider my Standard Razor Black to be one of the mildest that I own.

--Bob

Top Bottom