What's new

Looking for a mild and smooth blade

Derby Extras are mild blades, and smooth IMO. They're inexpensive and have decent longevity.
I rarely use one because I prefer a more aggressive blade. :blush:

I used the Personna Israeli Red on 4 shaves 2 with the standard plate and 2 with the hyper aggressive plate. This blade was smooth and efficient with no blood loss, so I’m very encouraged. Next up will be the Rapira Platinum Lux then the Rapira Super Stainless.

Astra SP has always been regarded by nearly everyone as a smooth, mild and solid blade. GSB is worth a look, too. They seem to work in a witer variety of razors than most of my other favorites.
Never thought of Voskhods as being "mild", but I like them.

@Cannon Cocker

Derby Extra - very smooth, not very sharp, last 2-3 shaves.

Lord Platinum Classic - very smooth, much sharper than the Derby Extra, last 3-4 shaves.

Shark Platinum - very close or the same as Lord Platinum Classic.

Shark Super Stainless - very smooth, not super sharp, less sharp than Astra SP, lasts 3-4 shaves.

Eventually, I will be doing a blade seek on the Stirling SS-ST plate. This is in the 2 pass category with Lord Platinum Class for me.

Good luck on this!!!

I do not have the KCG razor. I think the KCG head is a Gillette copy of the DE89/R89 head. Edwin Jagger ships a 5 blade pack of Derby Extras with their DE89 style razors. To improve the efficiency, some users use sharp/smooth blades. Feather, Bic Platinum, Wilkinson Sword Classic, Gillette Platinum, Personna etc. The Lord Platinum Class are not as sharp but are very smooth. I think they have a nice blend of sharpness and smoothness. Of course YMMV.

I make difference between smooth and dull. Derbys, for instance, are plain dull to me. They cause some tugging even on the first shave, and it only gets worse from there. Russian Gillettes and Astras are sharp enough to give me a clean cut for 3-4 shaves, yet never feel aggressive in any razor.

YMMV is certainly the rule for blades.

That said, my ‘top-tier’ in no particular order:
Personna red
Personna lab (or med prep)

GSB
Astra SP
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)
Lots to like here :001_cool:

If you like the KCG blades, you may also like the Gillette Platinum blades. If you want to try Lord blades, I'd suggest trying the Silver Star.
This looks like the way to go.

Thanks.
In addition to these and KCGs, I am a fan of Lord Super Chromes and Rapira Swedes.
Bolzanos, Rubies, and Timors have fared me well too.

IMG-7732.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't know that razor. IF... IF, it clamps the blade very securely, then I think you are on the right track. If, on the other hand, it's a razor that allows the blade to flap in the wind (chatter) then you may want the sharpest blade you can find.

Good luck.

Top Bottom