What's new

Looking for a high shine medium hold hair product

I'm looking for a high shine medium hold hair product that I can use to comb my hair straight back. I'm currently using Brylcreem and while it has the shine and smell it doesn't really have the hold I'm looking for. The hairs on the top of my head don't seem to be staying down like the hair on the side of my head. Need something that isn't to difficult to wash out and doesn't break the bank.

When I read your thread title and saw the words high shine I immediately thought of Brylcreem, then I saw the part about medium hold. Sadly I can't be of much help, I use Brylcreem and Yardley english lavender brilliantine and both of them wash out easily but they both have a light hold, Reuzel red is meant to be a shiny water based pomade but I would bet that the shine dulls down after a few hours like most water based ,maybe find something with a medium or strong hold and then use Brylcreem on top of it for the shine.

When I read your thread title and saw the words high shine I immediately thought of Brylcreem, then I saw the part about medium hold. Sadly I can't be of much help, I use Brylcreem and Yardley english lavender brilliantine and both of them wash out easily but they both have a light hold, Reuzel red is meant to be a shiny water based pomade but I would bet that the shine dulls down after a few hours like most water based ,maybe find something with a medium or strong hold and then use Brylcreem on top of it for the shine.
I've been doing some research and I might give Royal Crown pomade a try. Supposedly it's what Elvis and Johnny Cash used.
proxy.php

Suavecito regular hold will fit the bill. Waterbased, so it’s easy to wash out. Smells great, like a cologne, but not overwhelming. Medium hold, so you won’t have a crispy helmet head, and inexpensive.

I'm looking for a high shine medium hold hair product that I can use to comb my hair straight back. I'm currently using Brylcreem and while it has the shine and smell it doesn't really have the hold I'm looking for. The hairs on the top of my head don't seem to be staying down like the hair on the side of my head. Need something that isn't to difficult to wash out and doesn't break the bank.

I'd recommend Suave's pomades. There is also a brand called Tres Flores that's fairly good, they make a water soluble pomade (it looks a bit like gel). Both are highly affordable and water-based.

I generally don't like oil or wax based pomades. Too difficult to wash out.

It's really expensive, but Reuezel Red. You get 20% off your first purchase when you sign up for their email subscription.

Remember you can always combine cheap products and use a high shine one as a topper. I did that yesterday to good results with Tres Flores Brilliantine Oil.

Yardley Brilliantine mixed with Suave Groom & Clean. Use a 50/50 mixture and mix into damp hair. It will do the trick and smell like the Yardley. Easy to wash out as well.

Chris

Any of these easy to wash out oil pomades will do the trick:

• Sweet Georgia Brown Red
  • Murray Super Light pomade
  • Royal Crown Pomade
  • Royal Crown Hair Dressing
  • Murray Exelento
  • Pomps Not Dead Slick of It All
I wouldn't advise water base due to the high chemical content, drying effect on the hair, and the high prices. They're not worth it in my opinion. The light oil pomades that listed here are SUPER easy to watch. Just Head & Shoulders or any good clarifing shampooo followed by Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner. For a lot of people, they hear horror stories by clueless people that didnt know what they were doing when they used an oil base pomade for the first time, and then freaked out. All of the oil base pomades are easy to wash out for me. Wax pomades are a little more tricky, but not a big deal. This is how I wash them out:

1. Add Tres Flores Brilliantine Oil or Vaseline Oil to my hair and let it soak it for 15 minutes. I tend to use it the entire day I plan on degreasing.
  2. Add Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner BEFORE going to the shower. Just massage the Aussie into your dry hair that has pomde in it. Then wait 10 to 15 minutes. I never do though. The pomade comes regardless if I wait or not
  3. Shampoo
  4. Finish with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner
When I'm using the light oil pomades that I've listed above, I don't need to bother with step 1 or 2, due to the fact the pomade comes out with a regular round of shampoo. If there's a little pomade left, I'll rinse and repeat with the round of shapoo. But for me, I honestly don't care if I get ALL the pomade out, because I like the build up. If there's like 10% pomade still left, it enhances whatever pomade I use next. If I'm not going to use any pomade, my hair looks world's better with a tiny bit of build up in it than it does with nothing.

To me, I'll never go back to water base pomades or the hybride, unorthodox pomades. I don't like the way my hair looks, hate the chemical load, high prices, and the drying effect it has on my hair. I don't care for clays either. They cost too much, make my hair look dirty, and they basically are redundant. It's like reinventing the wheel and then selling that wheel for 4 x as much to suckers. I can get bascially the same look that I do with clays using inexpensive wax/petro pomades, and my hair looks better because it has shine and looks alive. My girlfiend complains when I use clays. She thinks it makes me look like my hair is dirty or I'm wearing a wig. I agree. I do not like the look, and I don't like it on other people either. It makes their hair look fake. I feel sorry for the people that use those products because they looks MUCH better using an oil base pomade, but they're obviously afraid to use them of the horror stories or they bungled when they tried using them.

Last edited:
As far as Layrite Super Shine pomade, be careful with this one. I got an allegeric reaction from the product that had my skin red and burnt. I immediately washed the stuff out, but fell iike I had poured cauldron of acid on my scalp. Unreal pain. The scent of the pomade was dreadful.

Here's the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Lanolin, PEG-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Rosin, VP/VA Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric/Palmitic/Stearic Triglyceride, Beeswax (Cera Alba), PEG-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Lanolin Wax, Steareth-2, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, PEG-10 Soy Sterol, PEG-9 Dimethicone, Dehydroacetic ..

My advice is to stick with oil based pomades, which contain FAR fewer chemicals than water based pomades. Those products are loaded with a massive amount of chemicals.

As far as Layrite Super Shine pomade, be careful with this one. I got an allegeric reaction from the product that had my skin red and burnt. I immediately washed the stuff out, but fell iike I had poured cauldron of acid on my scalp. Unreal pain. The scent of the pomade was dreadful.

Here's the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Lanolin, PEG-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Rosin, VP/VA Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric/Palmitic/Stearic Triglyceride, Beeswax (Cera Alba), PEG-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Lanolin Wax, Steareth-2, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, PEG-10 Soy Sterol, PEG-9 Dimethicone, Dehydroacetic ..

My advice is to stick with oil based pomades, which contain FAR fewer chemicals than water based pomades. Those products are loaded with a massive amount of chemicals.

It's likely that you were reacting to a fragrance component. You might also have a problem with the lanolin. Both are relatively common skin sensitizers and allergens.

It's something in that product that I'm allergic to. It's not lanolin though, because many of my pomades contain that. I think it's the propylene Glycol Dibenzoat. Thankfully, it's not Ethylene glycol (used in car antifreeze)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I always like the Dax range of products, cheap and easy to obtain in the UK. That and Pashana American Bay Rum tonic. Sadly, I no longer have enough hair, but it turns out the Pashana also makes a great aftershave! Stings a bit!

Any of these easy to wash out oil pomades will do the trick:

• Sweet Georgia Brown Red
  • Murray Super Light pomade
  • Royal Crown Pomade
  • Royal Crown Hair Dressing
  • Murray Exelento
  • Pomps Not Dead Slick of It All
I wouldn't advise water base due to the high chemical content, drying effect on the hair, and the high prices. They're not worth it in my opinion. The light oil pomades that listed here are SUPER easy to watch. Just Head & Shoulders or any good clarifing shampooo followed by Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner. For a lot of people, they hear horror stories by clueless people that didnt know what they were doing when they used an oil base pomade for the first time, and then freaked out. All of the oil base pomades are easy to wash out for me. Wax pomades are a little more tricky, but not a big deal. This is how I wash them out:

1. Add Tres Flores Brilliantine Oil or Vaseline Oil to my hair and let it soak it for 15 minutes. I tend to use it the entire day I plan on degreasing.
  2. Add Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner BEFORE going to the shower. Just massage the Aussie into your dry hair that has pomde in it. Then wait 10 to 15 minutes. I never do though. The pomade comes regardless if I wait or not
  3. Shampoo
  4. Finish with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner
When I'm using the light oil pomades that I've listed above, I don't need to bother with step 1 or 2, due to the fact the pomade comes out with a regular round of shampoo. If there's a little pomade left, I'll rinse and repeat with the round of shapoo. But for me, I honestly don't care if I get ALL the pomade out, because I like the build up. If there's like 10% pomade still left, it enhances whatever pomade I use next. If I'm not going to use any pomade, my hair looks world's better with a tiny bit of build up in it than it does with nothing.

To me, I'll never go back to water base pomades or the hybride, unorthodox pomades. I don't like the way my hair looks, hate the chemical load, high prices, and the drying effect it has on my hair. I don't care for clays either. They cost too much, make my hair look dirty, and they basically are redundant. It's like reinventing the wheel and then selling that wheel for 4 x as much to suckers. I can get bascially the same look that I do with clays using inexpensive wax/petro pomades, and my hair looks better because it has shine and looks alive. My girlfiend complains when I use clays. She thinks it makes me look like my hair is dirty or I'm wearing a wig. I agree. I do not like the look, and I don't like it on other people either. It makes their hair look fake. I feel sorry for the people that use those products because they looks MUCH better using an oil base pomade, but they're obviously afraid to use them of the horror stories or they bungled when they tried using them.
Yikes!!!
That there's a ton of work.

Top Bottom