What's new

Looking for a good scotch.

Do you know what kind you like?
Do you like Highland, Speyside, Lowland, Island, or Islay?
I started out loving Highlands. Don't like Lowlands. Now I'm an Islay man.
My go to Highland is Glenmorangie. I prefer the Quinta Ruban(formerly port cask finish).
also the La Santa(formerly sherry cask finish) is nice. Some stores you can by a four pack of 10cl bottles of this brand. I'll post a picture.
My two Islay are Laphroaig and Ardbeg. Really love the smokey peat taste of these. I didn't like Bowmore. Kind of blah.

Last edited:
Laphroaig, Lagavulin.
Vertical sampling of both lines should find you something you'll like, but that's about as deep as I get.

Single Malt: Speyburn 10 Year Old, it won't break your bank and is good value

Blended: Old Smuggler, Bank Note, Lawson's 5 Year Old, Grand MacNish, Stewart's Cream of the Barley, Isle of Skye 8 Year Old; they are not expensive and are a good bang for your buck(s).

Also check ralfy.com for info on Scotch and other whiskies.

Johnny Walker Black is a great deal for a nice blended scotch.
I also like The Glenlivet and Macallan 15 for more money on a single malt.

Grant's (Sherry cask) for blend. Singles I like both Glenlivet and Laphroig. Laphroig is definitely an acquired taste I believe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What is a "decent price?"

... and what is a "good scotch", for that matter.

:001_rolle

(No, seriously ... my Dad would answer that, for himself, with the best $23 bottle that tastes noticeably better than the other $28 bottles on the bottom shelf.)

I prefer Bruichladdich in both their peated and non-peated ranges.

Their Organic was fantastic, not sure if it's still available or not, but the Islay Barley is good too.

If you like peat, try the Bruichladdich Octomore but make sure you are sitting down first!

If you like just a touch of peat, try Dalwhinnie.
If you like a bit more but don't want to go full on peat or break 50 bucks, go Highland Park 12

I've been rather snobbish for decades. Our little village has recently seen two families of Scots immigrate here. Both of these guys drink Famous Grouse. They've made a convert out of me.

If cost is a major consideration:Té Bheag - (that's Chay Vek - not Tea Bag)
Outstanding quality at a very reasonable price.

It's better than many single malts twice it's price.

Islay Mist is also an excellent blend

Johnnie Walker Black has been my go-to drink for the last ten years.
Yes! Highly recommended,

. . . My go to Highland is Glenmorangie. I prefer the Quinta Ruban(formerly port cask finish).
. . .
Love the Quinta Ruban.

I'll recommend Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask.
Had the Doublewood and recommend it highly.

Johnny Walker Black is a great deal for a nice blended scotch.
. . .
There's the JW Black again!

What is a "decent price?"
Yes, what is your definition of "decent price" in this context?

Some of my favorites are glenrothes, old pulteney, aberlour, balvenie, highland park, and glenmorangie.
Balvenie and Glenmorangie again. Aberlour make an excellent scotch.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin.
Vertical sampling of both lines should find you something you'll like, but that's about as deep as I get.

I'm drinking Lagavulin 16 as we speak. Cheers!

Haven't seen a bad suggestion in this thread. If you want a single malt that is balanced, I agree with this man:

I'll recommend Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask.

I have both the doublewood & Caribbean, and they're very palatable. I was afraid the rum flavor would be overpowering, but it's sublime and just right.

If you're looking for blends, JW: B is my go to, but I also enjoy Chivas 12 and JW Green label

Top Bottom