What's new

Looking for a good Latakia

Squadron leader. There are many others, but it's famous and easy and available. I like the Frogs, gaslight is great but heavy. Skiff mixture is more peppery but a solid cousin of squadron leader. My fave would be three oaks Syrian at the moment. There are SO many good tobaccos. :) just keep buying them all!!!!
I just picked up Squadron Leader from J&R today and it was outstanding! Very dry on the sweetness scale and good Latakia content. My kind of smoke!

I've had the chance to smoke a few bowls of Frog Morton on the Bayou and really enjoy it. Ashton's Artisan blend had a little too much nic for me.

I have a high nic tolerance, so I can't speak much to the nic content of tobacco blends. Some of the Latakia heavy blends I like that haven't already been mentioned are Balkan Saseini and Drew Estate Meat Pie.

if you are looking for BALANCE, complexity, and quality, gl pease 'blackpoint.' is my fave.

my first tin disappeared quite quickly and i have aged tobacco from nearly everybody.

give it a try,.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
if you are looking for BALANCE, complexity, and quality, gl pease 'blackpoint.' is my fave.

my first tin disappeared quite quickly and i have aged tobacco from nearly everybody.

give it a try,.

I need to give some GL Pease a try. From what I take, he is the Latakia authority.

I need to give some GL Pease a try. From what I take, he is the Latakia authority.

You definitely need to try GLP. If you haven't tried a plug yet, you should definitely grab some Gaslight. It's actually pretty easy to manage versus some other plugs (I'm looking at you Peterson's Perfect Plug).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You definitely need to try GLP. If you haven't tried a plug yet, you should definitely grab some Gaslight. It's actually pretty easy to manage versus some other plugs (I'm looking at you Peterson's Perfect Plug).
I will have to toss some in on my next order.

Right now I'm smoking Frog Morton on the town. Not sweet. Just a good relaxing smoke. Today I also had McClelland Blue Mountain, (which has been changed to Balkan Blue.) it is a lovely blend with lots of Latakia. A tad sweet with the Orientals being in there, but it is really good and mellow with plenty of flavor.

I'm enjoying Frog Morton Cellar. But based on the comments in this thread, I'll have to try some Squadron Leader and maybe some Star of the East...

Last edited:
Peterson's Old Dublin might be a nice choice. As far a Pease, buy them all and age some to. Lately I have been reaching for Lombard quite a bit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just got around to tasting the G.L. Pease Odyssey sample that came with my last order. When I first smelled the "baggie note", I did not think that I would like it. But with one small bowl smoked, I think this might prove to be a great blend. I may have to include some on my next order.

Yes but SOTE is not among them!

You were not alone. I had never heard of SOTE even after it was spelled out I didn't recognize it. I've heard of every tobacco on the actual acronym list. Certainly doesn't seem to get discussed/recommended much.

Top Bottom