What's new

looking for a good american made shaving soap that been around for a while.

VDH Deluxe or Unscented. Has been made in USA for probably a hundred years under the old Surrey brand.

Big following here on B&B.

Not old but Cold River Soapworks “CRS” has a unscented available in their Select brand. I’ve never heard a bad thing about em.
and yes Mikes.

indeed, fyi, most of your great blades are made in Russia or Korea.
Excellent products.
Simple truth is many excellent shaving items are no longer produced in the USA.

Yea I did a bit of research for blades to buy and found the same thing.

Find yourself a puck of vintage Williams, drop it in an Old Spice mug. That's all.

But where would I find some of tho vintage stuff?
I'm looking for something that would be easier to get.
I was lucky to get my 195 in great shape when I did for $5.00

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
But where would I find some of tho vintage stuff?
I'm looking for something that would be easier to get.
I was lucky to get my 195 in great shape when I did for $5.00
Easy enough to find (hell of a lot easier than a five buck Fatboy).
Check antique stores, eBay, etsy. You can pick up pucks for $10

You asked about a good American soap that's been around a while. -> Williams, Colgate, Old Spice.
Modern artisan product does not enter into my interpretation of that question.

Easy enough to find (hell of a lot easier than a five buck Fatboy).
Check antique stores, eBay, etsy. You can pick up pucks for $10

You asked about a good American soap that's been around a while. -> Williams, Colgate, Old Spice.
Modern artisan product does not enter into my interpretation of that question.
Thanks I will check that out.
As for my Fatboy That was a lucky find in an antique store, I was planing to get one and, and saw that there.

There aren't a lot of older products made in America but a lot of good artisan products are certainly available. If you want to try an old American brand then Col Conk might be worth a shot. It's a glycerin base so it's a bit different but it's a decent soap all in all.

There aren't a lot of older products made in America but a lot of good artisan products are certainly available. If you want to try an old American brand then Col Conk might be worth a shot. It's a glycerin base so it's a bit different but it's a decent soap all in all.
Col. Conk is made by VDH. I would not at all be surprised if many US so called "artisan" soaps are actually made by VDH. Supposedly, Fine Accoutrements soaps are made by Tabac!

For a buck and a half buy a puck of Williams and find out for yourself if it's good for you. The scent is pretty benign.

If Williams doesn't fly for you save yourself some time and give Black Tie No. 13 a shot. It's unscented meaning no oils or fragrances added. No. 13 has a scent - Tallow Soap. It flat out shaves. How long it's been around, will it be here as long as Williams no idea to either. But I do know it will be on my shelf as long as it's produced.

I'm looking for a USA made soap for now because I don't know what I'm looking for.
Its just for starters. American would be easier to get than any thing else I would think for ....

American, I would suggest Mike's or Cold River Soap Works.

Imported soaps may be cheaper than American soaps. Arko is a great deal and sounds like what you're after besides the scent. I would buy Arko, grate it into a bowl and let it sit in the open. That will decrease the scent strength.

...Supposedly, Fine Accoutrements soaps are made by Tabac!
Well that is interesting! I read that the makers of Fine wanted to reproduce Tabac's peroformance in different scents. I didn't know they WERE Tabac. Do you have a source for this?

Fine is Dutch;
Fine_Accoutrement_1cropped.jpg

Tabac is German;
Tabac_Shave_Soap_Ceramic_Bowl resized.jpg

Do you have a source for this? Be interesting to read.

I really would be surprised if that's true.
Not at my fingertips but if you do a search of this site you will find posts in support of that. Also, the VDH and Col. Conk soaps use the same plastic puck holder design.

There's nothing wrong with Williams Mug Soap. Let's see if it can match your criteria:

1) that's been around for awhile. Indeed.
2) none scented. Light citrus scent.
3) good for sensitive to medium skin. Check.
4) easy to order in a puck or a stick and is of a decent quality. Yes.
5) budget to medium price till I find what I want or like. Budget price, can't beat Williams.
6) and I am not allergic to anything that I know of. Good to go then.

Supposedly, the same factory makes both.
Can't be. One is in the Netherlands and the other in Germany.

Now Tabac could own Fine but try as I might I can't find a single shred of proof to help you support your claim that "Supposedly, Fine Accoutrements soaps are made by Tabac!" Sources or it didn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom