What's new

Looking For A Good .22

My family has recently acquired a ground hog. Cute little fella. He seems to enjoy the neglect I've shown for the weeds in my back yard. Seriously, it's starting to look a little like The Land Before Time back there.

As cool as all that is, he's gotta go. I thought this would be a good excuse to grab a good .22. I don't mind buying used. I like Ruger, Marlin, and Savage as far as brands go. I think I'd like a semi auto and something traditional looking (not an AR style).

So suggestions for models and dealers would be great. As well as some personal experience from you great folk! Thanks!

Use subsonic rounds for "yard work". No noise to upset your neighbors.

I prefer single shot or bolt action for yard varmets. Makes you take more time and hit with the first shot. You don't want to be spraying the yard.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The classic Ruger 10/22 is good. I've had mine for years and haven't had a bit of problem out of it, but I'd like a better trigger. They make aftermarket ones though.

The Best Ruger 10/22 Trigger Kits - 2018 Reviews and Ratings

For what you need it for, I usually use my little Colt New Frontier, but I've had that one for years also. The last skunk I took out with it was at about 20 yards. I don't care for skunks; they kill baby kittens and carry rabies.

dsc_0006-2-jpg.904937

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks. You may have a bit of problem finding one of those Colts now days, and it won't be cheap. Ruger Single Six looks good but I've never handled one. I do like my old Blackhawk though.

Mick did give some good advise about subsonic rounds...or use .22 shorts. You may have to cycle the shorts manually in a 10/22 though...don't know, never shot any in my Ruger. Where I'm at I don't have to worry about it. Whether it's someone target practicing with a .22, shotguns going off, or deer rifles the gunfire is normal here.

Not a semi, but I would go for a CZ 452 or CZ 455 if looking new and a CZ 453 if you get lucky enough to find one. They have a very good trigger out of the box. An average CZ bolt gun will shoot far more accurately than the average mass produced semi of any brand.

If you are in the US, Walmart usually has whatever they call the Marlin 60 nowadays (still a Marlin 60?) for as cheap brand new as a lot of used junk in the pawn shops. Those used to be fun cheap semi autos and I assume they still are, if you get a good one.

I had a groundhog problem at my residence earlier this summer and took care of the problem with a Browning BL22 lever rifle, and CCI Stingers. Groundhogs can be tough, unless yours is truly just a baby. If it has some size to it, I'd rethink going after it with subsonic loads if it were me.

The Ruger 10/22 is the benchmark for semi-auto .22LR rifles. If you want a semi-auto pistol, the Ruger Mark IV or Browning Buckmark are both awesome. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with bolt action .22s or .22 revolvers.

If you are wanting a semi auto, and wanting to keep fairly quiet, you probably need something that will cycle shorts, or at least subsonic ammo. Ruger does or did make a 22 short magazine conversion for the 10/22, although if the ammo, shorts or subsonic does not create enough pressure to cycle the action, you will have to pull back on the operating handle for each shot to cycle and load a fresh round. Most semi autos are manufactured to handle regular 22 LR ammo. There are numerous bolt actions out there, some will handle shorts fine, others will not, If it is a will not you can always load rounds manually one at a time into the chamber, basically making the gun a single shot. My old Marlin 39a lever action will handle and 22 ammo fine, I don't know about the newer Henry lever actions which look and feel nice although I have never tried one. I have two rather high quality bolt action 22's, a Ruger 77/22 and a Winchester 52b and neither will feed short ammo from the magazine.

Groundhogs can be tough, unless yours is truly just a baby. If it has some size to it, I'd rethink going after it with subsonic loads if it were me.

I've dropped scores of groundhogs with .22 lr subsonic rounds.

Right behind the ear.

Bell used to take bull elephants using a MS carbine and that is 6.5 mm (25 cal).

Shot placement outweighs everything.

Wait for the shot and take it when it is presented.

I've never used more than 1 shot on any game.

I agree that headshots are the ticket on small game. That is why I want a more accurate gun that some of the budget offerings.

If you want a semi .22 that will cycle low powered ammo, including longs, shorts, and long rifle look for a Remington 552 or no longer made 550. Both are quality pieces.

I'll throw out another thumbs up for the venerable little 10/22. I've had several and they are pretty much bulletproof. My 10/22 with longest tenure has been with me for almost 25 years and still works like it did when I bought it. It's never failed to feed supersonic cartridges and never had any kind of failure at all. Subs will not cycle a 10/22 in my experience though. No biggie, just treat it sort of like a lever action and rack the slide every shot when shooting sub-sonic. BTW I've had to dispatch a couple groundhogs the last several years, they were digging out along my basement wall. They are a pain.

Basic Henry lever action was spot on right out of the box. Does not like the very puny Aguilar short rounds though. Won’t even chamber them if hand fed. It has one of the smoothest actions anywhere though.

If we are going lever guns, make mine a Marlin 39a . Preferably with JM on the barrel and no crossbolt safety. Nice walnut. Nice blued steel.
IMAG2300~2.jpg

I had a hog infestation a few years back, huge network of dens everywhere, unfortunately I got neighbors real close to the left , right and thru the woods in the back. So I couldnt safely fire at will. I got a Savage rimfire made Canada used ,nice gun, and a havahart trap. I trapped and capped 15 of them, I wonder if hog hair can make nice brushes.

Top Bottom