What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I feel like getting one just so I could use that cool
saying in My signature as well :)
$1 Razor Challenge Survivor

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I'm going for a week-long adventure with my new Assured $1.06 razor (taxed in Mass.). Hope the razor can last a full seven days.

Shave of the Week, Beginning Monday 2-04-19
Assured (Dollar Tree) TTO safery razor / Assured blade
Boar brush of the day
Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0006 - Edited (1).jpg

I'm going for a week-long adventure with my new Assured $1.06 razor (taxed in Mass.). Hope the razor can last a full seven days.

Shave of the Week, Beginning Monday 2-04-19
Assured (Dollar Tree) TTO safery razor / Assured blade
Boar brush of the day
Williams Mug Shaving Soap
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

View attachment 948351
Nice set up. Report up and good luck....

I'm fairly new here and getting a kick out of this thread. However, this razor looks incredibly familiar. Could it be the same as the VDH I've been using for a year+? (Have something new on its way) Handle is pretty much identical, though I'll say the VDH seems to have a better build, from the comments. No rust on mine. Hmmm...

Attachments

• GUEST_61204e5e-d109-4018-88d1-0ea631c7261a.jpeg
    GUEST_61204e5e-d109-4018-88d1-0ea631c7261a.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 12
I'm fairly new here and getting a kick out of this thread. However, this razor looks incredibly familiar. Could it be the same as the VDH I've been using for a year+? (Have something new on its way) Handle is pretty much identical, though I'll say the VDH seems to have a better build, from the comments. No rust on mine. Hmmm...

They are nearly identical. I find the assured razor more efficient by a large margin. I have both razors.

I really thought from all the Assured threads that this would be a good razor. So, I went to my neighborhood Dollar Tree and acquired one, with the intent of using it for the February "1 razor 1 blade 1 bowl 1 soap" challenge. The intention was to use the Assured razor and blades, and make them last for the month.

This morning I loaded up the razor and began using it. I did not last long. It felt to me like I had a row of tweezers almost-plucking single hairs. I say almost-plucking because no matter how carefully I shaved, no matter the direction, my face felt no different after shaving than before, except for the rawness that birds must feel when being plucked alive. I now understand why women screech when waxing.

This was the worst half-shave I have ever experienced. The trash pickup day in my neighborhood is today, and I deposited razor and blades in the trash with no regrets.

I went back to a Rockwell 6s with the 6 plate and a Nacet(7) and was very grateful to NOT feel a blade at all.

$1 Razor Challenge Casualty

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I really thought from all the Assured threads that this would be a good razor. So, I went to my neighborhood Dollar Tree and acquired one, with the intent of using it for the February "1 razor 1 blade 1 bowl 1 soap" challenge. The intention was to use the Assured razor and blades, and make them last for the month.

This morning I loaded up the razor and began using it. I did not last long. It felt to me like I had a row of tweezers almost-plucking single hairs. I say almost-plucking because no matter how carefully I shaved, no matter the direction, my face felt no different after shaving than before, except for the rawness that birds must feel when being plucked alive. I now understand why women screech when waxing.

This was the worst half-shave I have ever experienced. The trash pickup day in my neighborhood is today, and I deposited razor and blades in the trash with no regrets.

I went back to a Rockwell 6s with the 6 plate and a Nacet(7) and was very grateful to NOT feel a blade at all.

Well said. Congratulations and condolences.

Sooooooo, several of us found that the first blade out of the tuck may not have "passed" whatever quality control is employed at the factory but found its way into the tuck anyhow. The 2nd blade was an improvement but wouldn't bump blades out of anyone's top-5.

Sooooooo, several of us found that the first blade out of the tuck may not have "passed" whatever quality control is employed at the factory...

I guess to be fair I should have tried at least one more blade.

The razor itself did not seem to be too bad. The blade was evenly exposed on both edges and the butterfly mechanism worked without having to tweak anything. On the downside, the razor (or maybe the blade) had a metallic-y smell like maybe too much zinc. I kept thinking I was smelling blood. But no cuts! A positive takeaway.

+1 Oh yes. Extremely efficient. I have the scars to prove it.

That’s taking one for the team!!! You’re all right in my book.... Which really doesn’t mean much but, it’s the moral support that counts. :ihih: :letterk1:

You must overcome the Darkside of the Dull Blade young padawan. Persistence with the Razor Force you must show to overcome your self doubt..... :a45:

Plus about 5 Our Fathers and 7 Hail Mary’s :innocent: might be a good way to start. Just for your shave souls sake...... :001_tt2:

Seriously, nice try. NO ONE should torture themselves to get a decent shave. :punk:

Top Bottom