What's new

Looking for a "dressy" pair of jeans

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Looking for a pair of jeans that I can wear to the office on Fridays. My jeans pretty casual but I still wear them on Fridays. Would like to pick up a pair or two in the $75/pair range or less. I almost always wear a button down dress shirt with jeans on Fridays. Any tips?

Instead of buying two 75 dollar pairs of jeans, spring for one in the 88-100 dollar range. I'm a sucker for jeans, and for your purposes, you really can't go wrong at all with Buffalo by David Bitton. They fit remarkably, they're modern but not trendy, and the detailing is great. Macy's stocks plenty of Buffalo jeans online, but I find them few and far between in stores. If you're the type of guy who tries things on, check out Nordstrom or Bloomingdales.

Look for the wash, not the label. Find a dye that's color-appropriate (i.e. darker, not too faded, not too red) and a style that's office appropriate (i.e. not too crazy with details or whiskering in a slimmer cut).

These can be had cheap if you're tenacious and lucky although, surprisingly, you get what you pay for in a $200 jean.

Gap (mentioned above) is a good choice. They will have what is considered appropriate Friday office jeans.

If you head to a department store, look for jeans by designers. Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Tommy, Boss, etc. Again, these will have the cut that you require as a "fashion" jean

Gap (mentioned above) is a good choice. They will have what is considered appropriate Friday office jeans.

If you head to a department store, look for jeans by designers. Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Tommy, Boss, etc. Again, these will have the cut that you require as a "fashion" jean

When the big designer jean craze hit around the turn of the century, all of the large American design houses like CK, TH, RL, etc. carved a niche as more of a classic american jean. They do make some trendy washes, but their customer is the casual friday jean guy. A "fashion" fit jean is more in the ballpark of Diesel, True Religion, Seven For All Mankind, etc.

You'd do well in any of the jeans mentioned. I'm unsure if Gap still makes the 1969 line of premium denim. If they do, that would be my second suggestion after Buffalo by David Bitton.

Also... try Diesel jeans. They make plain designs (no beadazzling, designer "distressing" and such) and if you take good care of them they will last years longer than anything from Gap, A&F, etc.

A pair of dark Levi Strauss jeans really can't go wrong. Just make them fit you properly, they shall not be to loose fit but not to tight either. I think you know what I mean, and if not the guy behind the counter probably will.

/A

When the big designer jean craze hit around the turn of the century, all of the large American design houses like CK, TH, RL, etc. carved a niche as more of a classic american jean. They do make some trendy washes, but their customer is the casual friday jean guy. A "fashion" fit jean is more in the ballpark of Diesel, True Religion, Seven For All Mankind, etc.

You'd do well in any of the jeans mentioned. I'm unsure if Gap still makes the 1969 line of premium denim. If they do, that would be my second suggestion after Buffalo by David Bitton.

Good point.

Straight leg with a slight flare below the knee and a very low rise waist is essentially the fit that is considered dressy right now.

If you want a more formal look go for a no wash fabric (commonly called raw, rigid, or dry). I like the Levi's 514 Rigid or Rigid Rinse as a good all around jean. I'd go with a straight cut. Rise should be more dictated by your shape (larger stomach go low rise, larger butt go higher rise). If you have larger thighs the 501 would probably be a better choice, once again dark and stiff will look more formal (the STF would be the perfect look but can be finicky when you go to wash them).

Your footwear will go a long way towards dictating the formality of your jeans. A pair of jeans look a lot more dressy with a pair of wingtips than a pair of running shoes.

Get some Dockers and save your money.

proxy.php

Top Bottom