What's new

Looking for A Different Soap

Hi Guys,

I've been using VDH exclusively, it is my first shave soap. I've gotten good results from it but I'd really like to try something different, something new to me. I'm looking for good value, I can't spend much more than 3 bucks per ounce.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Birddog

One of the many that I could suggest is RazoRock. A variety of great scents, easy to lather, and great performance. And very good price.

The majority of the artisanal soaps would be great choices with their vast array of scents and you will, more than likely, find them to be better products than the VDH soap! Have fun! :thumbup:

Proraso, Razorock, and stirling as have been said are great choices, but take a look at the link above on the cost per shave thread. Dont forget about LaToja and Palmolive shave sticks...can be had pretty cheap and are great performance wise.

If you're looking for something that's really inexpensive and still excellent stuff I'd pick up some Arko or a kilo of Cella (which will be a years worth of shaves). Both of these soaps perform excellent and are quite inexpensive per shave. Well below the $3 per oz limit.

There are many other soaps that are inexpensive as well but I'd recommend that you look at the 3017 thread that Steve recommended above, in which the guys compute the price per shave instead of the price per oz. For example a puck of MWF will run you about $14 which will put it out of your price per oz range but you can use that puck every day for a solid six months before finishing it. The tub or RazoRock soap will run you $10 which is within your limit but you'll likely finish it in about five weeks making it much more costly. So maybe look at more than just the cost for the tub or puck of soap and consider how long it will last as well.

At a $3.00/oz. limit you have some great choices.

Stirling- one of the best soaps and values available now. Many scents to suit anyone.

Tabac- possible if you find a deal. A GREAT soap but the scent is not for everyone.

MWF- a standard.

Cella- A fine Italian soft soap. Almond scent.

Arko- no slicker soap and better bargain.

Proraso. Get a tub of green, white and red and try em all out (plus you'll have the italian flag)! You can get them in half size pucks too if you don't want to buy the full size 150g container. You could also consider a cream?

Jonsta

At a $3.00/oz. limit you have some great choices.

Stirling- one of the best soaps and values available now. Many scents to suit anyone.

Tabac- possible if you find a deal. A GREAT soap but the scent is not for everyone.

MWF- a standard.

Cella- A fine Italian soft soap. Almond scent.

Arko- no slicker soap and better bargain.

All good options. I would throw Mama Bear's into the argument as well, but if you have been using the VDH, I say go with a tallow soap this time and pick up one of these instead (my vote would be Stirling Sharp Dressed Man).

Loads of great artisan soaps around. Take a look at Soap Commander. Great soaps. Remarkable after shave feel for a vegan soap. Super nice people. At $15 for 6oz of soap, it fits well into your budget.

My other favorites: Strop Shoppe; Through the Fire Fine Craft; and Cold River Select are over your price point.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
If price is a driver for your decision, you need to look at the cost per shave here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ost-per-shave-Data-mined-from-the-3017-thread

Pricing soap only by the ounce is deceptive if you want the best bang for the buck.

Cheers, Steve

But price per shave is incredibly subjective. It all depends on the user, the brush, loading technique, lather preferences, the water, etc. On the above link, one of the posts states that one puck of MWF cost $0.10/shave, then later, the same user got $0.22/shave with another puck of MWF. That's a drastic difference for the same user and soap. Just not a good way to price soaps.

A couple of my favorites for under $3/oz are:

Pre de Provence
Maggard Razors London Barbershop

But price per shave is incredibly subjective. It all depends on the user, the brush, loading technique, lather preferences, the water, etc...

I absolutely agree, that's why I prefer looking at cost per gram, eg Haslinger is ~$9.00 for 60 grams or 15 cents per gram, Tabac Refill ~$16.00 for 125 grams or 12.8 cents per gram. I intentionally went with a higher cost on the Tabac refill, I've seen it as low as ~$14 and as high as $17, regardless of price per puck, it's really about the cost per gram.

Top Bottom