What's new

Looking for a decent, cheaper sandalwood AS

I'm still new to all of this, but I'm really liking the DE shaving. I have a Merkur 180, VHD luxury kit, Nivea Sensitive ASB and Clubman AS. I love the Clubman for smell/price but I don't think my wife likes it as much as I do. I was talking to her and she loves the smell of sandalwood. I'd like to try a good sandalwood AS without breaking the bank. I've already dropped a bit on razor and accessories.

Is there a reasonable sandalwood out there I can try? I'm hesitant to order something expensive online without smelling it first.

Thanks!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
St. Charles Shave makes terrific, value packed aftershaves, including a very nice sandalwood.

I'm still new to all of this, but I'm really liking the DE shaving. I have a Merkur 180, VHD luxury kit, Nivea Sensitive ASB and Clubman AS. I love the Clubman for smell/price but I don't think my wife likes it as much as I do. I was talking to her and she loves the smell of sandalwood. I'd like to try a good sandalwood AS without breaking the bank. I've already dropped a bit on razor and accessories.

Is there a reasonable sandalwood out there I can try? I'm hesitant to order something expensive online without smelling it first.

Thanks!

There is a lot of variance in sandalwood fragrances.

Can you find out where she found the sandalwood that she likes?

Let us know and there might be ideas.

i'm a HBG fan as well
honeybee doesn't have just a single scent to their AS, they are blends
this one is ok
their bay rum is awesome to me and my favorite, wife loves it and a few people have commented positively at work too
i picked them up from iherb as well, cheap but very slow shipping to canada because alcohol has to go ground and iherb is honest
HBG's recipe is very soothing after a bad shave too with alcohol, witch hazel, herbs and oils

proraso makes a nice a/s, green. Menthol though and eucalyptus. superb.
Sandalwood? Have not tried Honeybees. Seems like a hit or miss but many like it.
I have tried Taylor of Old Bond St's and it's superb. pricey though. $30 . proraso is $15 for same 100ml.
TOBS is good stuff. I had a chance to whiff up many of the scents at a local place here that carries them. Their sandalwood is one of the best selling and they expanded the line to soaps, lotion. A little goes a long way so if you love to just splash lots of a/s on then best to avoid.
The Ogallala is nice. I tried the sample line and bought my brother the sage & cedar which he loves. Great bang for buck but every scent is always overpowered by the bay rum scent so keep that in mind. keep in mind that these a/s's need to be shaken rigorously before each use. To mix up the oils.

Crabtree and Evelyn makes a wonderful Sandalwood AS balm. Don't know if you're into them though. It has a nice Sandalwood scent that's not too overpowering and it even has a hint of smokiness (almost like you were chilling with friends outside by the fire pit).
I find it to be perfect in the winter and SWMBO prefers it over all my other *** FWIW.

I just received several bottles of assorted Master brand A/S's from Appleton Barber Supply. To me (maybe not to anyone else) the "Focus" has a woody sandalwood scent to it. Good price too at $6.35 (plus shipping) for a 15 ounce bottle.
cottontop

Damn.
I just googled Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood and it is a small fraction of AoS.
I need to try that.
I really like AoS but I am getting close to empty and I was hesitant to re-order.

Crabtree and Evelyn make great stuff, I'm a huge fan of their Nomad line, their sandalwood is great too and agree with Senshi on the description it's really great for winter.

IMO, the king of all sandalwood aftershaves is D.R. Harris. Whether or not you consider the price reasonable, I don't know. In light of some of the more kingly priced aftershaves out there (Czech & Speake, Penhaligon's, even Santa Maria Novella), I consider D.R. Harris relatively affordable, but it is still considerably more upscale in price than the likes of Clubman or AV.

There is a lot of variance in sandalwood fragrances.

Can you find out where she found the sandalwood that she likes?

Let us know and there might be ideas.
+1 Be very careful assuming that all sandalwoods are the same. Not only do they vary but some shave scents marked as sandalwood are not just sandalwood.

Whether or not you consider the price reasonable, I don't know.
One really should specify a budget verus using subjective terms such as "cheaper" or "reasonable". DRH Sandalwood typically sells for about $30/100mL. I consider it reasonable as a little goes a long way.

+1 On D.R. Harris. It is excellent and the king of sandalwood.
DR Harris is a perfect example of what I'm talking about in response to the first post I quoted. It's among my favorites but it's not a good representative of what sandalwood itself smells like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom