What's new

looking for a container that allows C02 to escape

Hello all!

I just recently started to roast my own coffee as of last week. I've chosen to use a propane burner and a 10 inch deep wall cast iron skillet to roast them in. I'm very happy with my results and have to say that I never thought I'd enjoy drinking straight black coffee!
Anyway, I'm interested in what other home roasters here on B&B use and suggest to store their freshly roasted coffee beans in that allows them to continue to degass c02 but keeps oxygen out. I'm really interested in anything made out of stainless steel or glass.
I don't need anything that's huge since I only roast about 1.5 cups of raw beans for a weeks worth of coffee for myself.
Granted I could go a really cheap route and use Mason jars and plastic homebrew airlock bubbles, but that would look a bit tacky!
20180917_191356.jpg

By the way, here is a picture of the beans from my very first roast. I went with Rwanda coffee for my first roast since I've never had it before and like the sound of the flavor notes description of having hints of roasted marshmallows with a dark roast since I prefer dark roast coffee.

20180912_210056.jpg

I like Rwanda beans. I had my first batch from a farm from Rwanda just a few weeks ago. I store beans in foil lined kraft paper bags that have a one way valve. I purchased them from Amazon. However, I have seen Mason jar tops with the valve built in and will likely go that direction in the future.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I use airscape canisters and picked up a pack of valve bags when I started roasting.

The canisters are great but bags are easier to access on a daily basis. Both have one way valves for degassing. I can use the bags multiple times (up to 10 times) so the pricing is much better than I initially expected.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
20180920_101237.jpg

I just dump the freshly roasted beans into a baggie, squeeze out the air, and seal up. In a day or two, I might squeeze out the generated CO2, but that's mostly to smell the lovely aroma. Because the beans are throwing off CO2 and will wind up in the hopper in a few days, there isn't a concern about oxidation. It's not like I purge my hopper with CO2 and get all concerned about it, anyhow.

Really, I only use a baggie so that I can have a compact, unbreakable container that also won't spill. I actually use the same baggie over and over, scratching out the old bean and date and writing the new one on. You just happened to catch me when I switched baggies. A quart sized jar with a loose lid would work well, too, but that's just one more thing for me to knock over and break. I'm not gonna shatter a bean bag. :)

I see no reason to employ commercial or complex measures. Those airlock bags are there mostly because they try to have little or no "head space" (so to speak) in those sacks, and they all get pressed and jostled around, so there really is a possibility of them popping. Nothing like that is going to happen at home.

I am not convinced that an air escape valve is needed. I have let freshly roasted coffee sit in unopened glass jars for days. 4days is typical, 1 week is not uncommon, and 2 weeks has been done before. These are one quart glass jars with a rubber seak. I get a nice "pfffffist' when opening the jar for the first time but I have never been able to get the glass jar to explode LOL, which would be quite dramatic and worthy of a new thread.

I am not convinced that an air escape valve is needed. I have let freshly roasted coffee sit in unopened glass jars for days. 4days is typical, 1 week is not uncommon, and 2 weeks has been done before. These are one quart glass jars with a rubber seak. I get a nice "pfffffist' when opening the jar for the first time but I have never been able to get the glass jar to explode LOL, which would be quite dramatic and worthy of a new thread.
I had the airscape before roasting my own coffee. Was more of an attempt at preserving any freshness still left. I do like the looks of the container and how satisfying it is to seal [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I totally agree that those Airscape containers are nice, looking much better than my glass mason jars. Those and similar fresh coffee storage solutions have been on my long term shopping list for years.

My only point is that I think using generic sealed containers is also good enough, especially if coffee is being consumed quickly. I have no idea how much pressure is possible to build up by the off-gassing. That is a question I am also curious about.

The Airscape have these advantages and probably more over a sealed glass jar:
  • Less light penetration
  • Less oxygen exposure as the beans are used.
  • Better looking if kept on countertop

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have no idea how much pressure is possible to build up by the off-gassing.

It cannot be much if you are holding only a pound or less and just have something sitting on your counter. I squeeze out the excess air in my baggie, and it looks like a half pound generates a few ounces of CO2 (at sea level). I know things vary a bit with varietal and roast level, but I cannot imagine it being of any concern for the sort of roasting we're talking about.

Less oxygen exposure as the beans are used.

I don't see that as a significant advantage. If you open the container and stir the contents (even if only be removing some beans), you introduce oxygen that does not just magically go away unless you actively remove it. Continued CO2 generation over the first several days after roasting will do some purging, but that's pretty much the case for any container. The Airscape will do something for you, of course, and it's certainly worth it even it just makes you happy.

Don't get me wrong, now. Those Airscapes are nice looking. I can see why someone might want something like that, even if only for aesthetic reasons. You also make a good point about light, which will degrade roasted coffee. In time, I might actually get an Airscape for either reason or both. For now, though, I like my current storage solution, adjusted to address expose to light. :001_cool:

20180922_102303.jpg

@TexLaw you make some good points. I store my coffee inside a cabinet, so light is not an issue for me. By extra oxygen I am referring to how a quart glass jar will slowly be displaced by atmospheric gases as the coffee beans are emptied out. In contrast the Airscape container is more flexible and the air tight storage adjusts to match the remaining beans inside. Where the lid prevents a big empty air gap.

For most home roasters who are drinking their coffee in less than two or three weeks the difference may not matter.

I sometimes wonder if home roasters could store freshly roasted beans in a brown paper bag for two weeks and get good tasting coffee. And not worry so much about storage.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
By extra oxygen I am referring to how a quart glass jar will slowly be displaced by atmospheric gases as the coffee beans are emptied out.

That's what I was getting at. When you pull that lid off, you're going to create a turbulence that will stir that air, anyhow.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Freshness sealed.jpg
You can not go wrong with the foodsaver jar sealer, you can seal a lot of dry goods. Its design is almost flawless for vacuum sealing only dry goods or moisture ridden foods that will be consumed within a few days like salads.... in mason jars. The mason jar sealing lid is placed on jar and then place vacuum sealer on and suck out air and remove jar sealer and the lid is now under vacuum seal and just screw on metal sealer ring and you are good to go for when ever.
I have the large mouth & small mouth and use them all the time for storing coffees in bulk because I'm the only coffee drinker in the household. If you decide to purchase a sealer (large mouth is the more popular one IMO) and the nice thing you can seal other items. I bought mine on Amaz.. .
Youtube has some videos on this device. You can buy foodsavers at garage sales cheap if your budget is minimal, I use the small hand one that my wife bought for a few dollars at a garage sale. The larger units have more sucking power but the hand held one works for me.

Last edited:
I am going to weigh in on this.

My "personal" opinion: ---> It does not matter.

My recommendation is.

Airscape:

Thos storage "system" has a "closed valve" AND an "open valve" lid.

Just roasted coffee should NOT have "both valves in use".

"Just roasted" coffee should only have the "clear top lid" on. This is a one way valve.

After a few days, the inside "locked/airtight" lid should go on to seal the roast.

This is just my opinion.

it looks like a half pound generates a few ounces of CO2
We all know you mean the space taken by a few ounces of coffee, but I had to check the literal interpretation. At a density of 2g/L, an ounce of CO2 would want to swell to nearly 4 gallons. Where would all that carbon come from? Decaffeinated coffee is bad enough, but decarbonated? :wink2: That's like the old bottle of Manhattan Special espresso soda I opened a month ago & forgot about.

Top Bottom