What's new

Looking for a classic C/W radio station

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I live in a market without a good, classic country/western radio station. But thanks to my Echo and the 'net, the world is open to me.

Can anyone recommend a station? Something with a playlist that includes older material--say from 20 or so years ago and beyond?

TIA,

Bill

Subscribed. We used to have a classic country station I could get, but it’s gone, and they weren’t classic enough for me.

Spotify could probably satisfy. I don’t get Satellite radio. But I’d really like a station with a DJ that tells me who I’m listening to. And I want that to be Hank (the first Hank, of course, and also Hank Snow), Loretta, George, Conway, Bob, Merle, etc.

Is there a web station that rebroadcasts old Opry shows?

I live in a market without a good, classic country/western radio station. But thanks to my Echo and the 'net, the world is open to me.

Can anyone recommend a station? Something with a playlist that includes older material--say from 20 or so years ago and beyond?

TIA,

Bill
You could try: iHeart Radio: Country Classics though I'm not sure how far back they go. If you're looking for Flatt & Scruggs, Webb Pierce, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, et al. you may be out of luck with that station.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
It’s hard to find stations that play only “classic” country now. The currnent country which sounds more like pop to me is all I ever hear. I’m not saying there aren’t good current artists but 80% of what I hear today is not something I would consider country. It also makes me realize how old I am when I listen to a classic country station (usually on Spotify) and it’s early Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Brooks and Dunn, and others that I just consider country. George Straight and Alan Jackson summed it up well.

i may be from the otherside of the pond but i still like to listen to some 80's country like miss krauss and union station . light listening .

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
i may be from the otherside of the pond but i still like to listen to some 80's country like miss krauss and union station . light listening .
Allison Krause is wonderful. Her rendition of “When You Say Nothing at All” is as good as and maybe better than (heresy) Keith Whitley’s. She was touring with Willie Nelson last year and I my wife got me tickets for my Bday. I was almost as excited to see her as I was Willie. Unfortunately the concert was canceled due to Covid.

Allison Krause is wonderful. Her rendition of “When You Say Nothing at All” is as good as and maybe better than (heresy) Keith Whitley’s. She was touring with Willie Nelson last year and I my wife got me tickets for my Bday. I was almost as excited to see her as I was Willie. Unfortunately the concert was canceled due to Covid.
you are dead right she has such a range to her voice . just like when people ask me why i listen to Karen Carpenter well why not i can hear every note unlike some of the trash we are expected to listen to today .

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sirius XM Channels 345 (The Bakersfield Beat), 350 (Red, White, & Booze), 59 (Willie's Roadhouse).
Time for me to get serious about Sirius XM for a lot of reasons.

Radio pickin's on the road are mighty slim around here. We've got a good regular classical station, a pretty good '80s outlet, and a sorta' okay contemporary country station, but not much else that's worth listening to while driving.

Thanks for the info!

Also to consider...
"Radio Garden", a free App that gives you access to radio stations world wide. Great fun......

That is a very cool and fun app, for sure. There is a world of radio out there! If one is a reggae fan, why not tune into the Kingston stations? Euro-Pop fan, I am sure something from Scandinavia is perfect. K-Pop? Some station is Seoul is waiting for you!

Top Bottom