What's new

Looking for a classic C/W radio station

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Allison Krause is wonderful. Her rendition of “When You Say Nothing at All” is as good as and maybe better than (heresy) Keith Whitley’s. She was touring with Willie Nelson last year and I my wife got me tickets for my Bday. I was almost as excited to see her as I was Willie. Unfortunately the concert was canceled due to Covid.

Now don't take this wrong, as I love Allison Krause. She has an angelic voice. But saying that her version is better than Keith Whitley is indeed heresy. Whitley was brilliant.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm going to humbly recommend WSM 650 from my hometown of Nashville, TN. A 50,000 watt powerhouse that's been broadcasting the Grand Ole Opry for about the last 95 years, the "OG" of country radio stations

I'm going to also recommend an independent radio station from the other end of the state, WDVX, "East Tennessee's Own" that has some outstanding programming, and I always make it a point to listen to them on my frequent travels through Knoxville.

And then I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Birthplace of Country Music museum in nearby Bristol. They have a full time radio station that is excellent, just click the "listen now" button on the link.

And finally, just to prove that there are still modern artists doing legit old time country, check out young Mr. Vaden Landers & Brody Hunt, who are just a couple of the many talented musicians in a burgeoning traditional country music scene in the town where I am fortunate enough to reside. I guess I should preface that by saying it was burgeoning pre pandemic. These guys and several other similar types were playing regular gigs in our little mountain town every weekend.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Check out Lost Dog Street Band.

I'm telling you guys, there's a bunch of youngsters playing traditional old time music.

Check out CAAMP

Check out the Secret Sisters

Traditional country music is alive and well and in very capable hands of today's young artists. Unfortunately you just don't hear them on many of the mainstream country stations that play the garbage put out by Luke Bryant, Blake Shelton, or Taylor Swift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom