What's new

looking for a brush

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would buy neither as I would not use them since my past experience tells me they are far far too big for me. I owned a Chubby 2 and 3 and sold them both as I found them comically unusable. I would buy, and do own, a Chubby 1 Manchurian. What size knot do you prefer? The Super is very soft and floppy and I dislike it a lot, the Manchurian is stiff with soft tips and maybe a bit of scritch and I love it. What type of hair do you prefer? You may prefer a boar which is significantly cheaper. I would start with a $50 brush like a Semogue SOC, see what you like about it and what you don't for six months and then go from there 👍
Yeah, I can't imagine I'd like smearing shaving cream on my face with those paintbrush sized shaving brushes!

The Simpson Duke 3 Best is a good place to start. That or a Shavemac three band in a style you like the look of. These are high quality brushes that are in the middle of the badger spectrum far from the outter extremes. They would not be out of place in any collection and could easily make a perfect daily driver for a decade or more. From there you can refine your tastes or simply stick with a great brush.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Hi everyone i am very new to wet shaving all the help would be really appreciated.
I am looking to buy a silvertip badger shaving brush. good for face or bowl lather
feel soft to face and good backbone
price range is between $250-$350
I have a Kent BK8 which is delightful for bowl lathering, but I would find it too large for face lathering. I really like the SOC 2 band badger for face lathering for around $65.

You can certainly find a brush that will do both face and bowl, but you might find it a little small in the bowl and/or a little large on the face.

My personal recommendation - not that you asked - would be to start with a couple of considerably cheaper brushes to see what you like. After a couple of months you'll have a much better idea of your preference for size, backbone, tip softness, etc. An SOC boar is a really nice bowl brush in the neighborhood of $32. There are quite a few nice silvertips for under $100. Trust me, if you're on this forum one brush will never be enough.

Based on that, and on your inexperience as a person new to this, I'd advise against buying any kind of brush so expensive as $250 - $350.

There are many many really good brushes worth owning for far less money.

I'd buy a good two band and a good three band, getting both for under two hundred dollars total, and see what you like.

Be aware not all two bands are actually alike. A Simpson Silvertip Badger (which is a two band) isn't all that much like a Shavemac two band. But, in general, think of two band and finest as the same thing, and think of Manchurian as a two band on steroids.

I love Manchurians and also the Shavemac DO1 two band, but both may be an acquired taste. Some Manchurians are far more expensive, but the Zenith Manchurians are both very good in my experience of them and relative bargains.

As a general rule maybe three bands are a bit softer and maybe have a bit less scrub, but three bands can be plenty soft (or not), and three bands can have plenty of backbone and scrub.

Same with three bands. They're not all exactly alike by any means.

I'd consider buying these.
  • One of any of the following - two band or finest or Manchurian - Maseto (on eBay), Zenith (on eBay or Your Shaving), Semogue finest (shop around for prices).
  • One of any of the following - three band - Maseto, Zenith.
If you take that option, you'll save a bunch of money, get two really good brushes, and have kit to help you determine what you like.

If you must spend $350 on a brush, I'd be looking into Shavemacs whether through their website (talk to them), or have Rudy Vey build you a Rudy Vey Shavemac (talk to Rudy), or maybe get a nice Simpson. There are often some truly barely used great upper end brushes at relative bargain prices on the BST.

The butterscotch beehive is a Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1 two band. The blue brush is a Shavemac non-DO1 two band.

There's only one way to get experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

+1! Great advice! First, try a few brushes to determine what makes you happy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

@Chan Eil Whiskers

Semogue Finest Badger Cherry Wood Handle Shaving Brush this is 2 band now looking for a 3 band brush i could not find one in Maseto, Zenith​

Thanks for the advice and saving me money

All of these - linked - are Zenith silvertip badgers. Zenith calls their three bands silvertip badgers.

Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.Silvertip.BothNew.640.3-19-20.JPG

See how they have three bands? A lighter band near the handle, a darker band on top of that, and another lighter band at the very top of the knot?

All of these - linked - are also Zenith silvertip badgers.

The American eBay vendor is the Gentle Shave. The Iberian eBay vendor in Your Shaving. There may be other vendors, but these are the two I've used. I shop for price and it's sometimes lower including shipping at one source or the other probably depending on exchange rates.

For the record, these are Manchurians - linked - currently available at Your Shaving. Notice how most have only two bands, a darker band and the bottom of the know and a lighter band at the top. Notice how some have a hint of lighter band at the bottom.

According to me, Manchurians are a two band on steroids. Some have a much stronger backbone - initially shockingly strong - and a very powerful scrub. They do break in, but it takes forever, and some will maintain a very strong scrubby feel with some of what I call good scritch. Some don't like it. I like it, but on some days I pick a softer brush.

3-14-20.Fixed.136.Vitos.CopperManchurian.640.JPG

One of my softest brushes is a Zenith Manchurian which used to have scrub that could take your skin off. Now it has a deliciously soft scrub. I've used it though at least 150 times, I'd guess.

I'm not suggesting you would like a Manchurian. You might or might not. Most do, but not everyone.

If you shop at Your Shaving, buy yourself a Zenith unbleached boar. They're cheap, take a while to break in, and are great brushes. There are only three or four to pick from. One of these, a good one, is pictured above with its good but cheap ivory colored plastic handle. I like it a lot.

1643472927959.png

Maseto has plenty of three bands. They call them silvertip badgers. Notice how they have three bands.

Here's a link to some of the MS 3 bands. Link.

Maseto has two bands, too, of course. I have their three band and their two band. Both are really really good brushes.

There are tons of really great brushes out there. You don't get a whole lot more for a whole lot more money. That's not to say you don't get anything, but much is in the fancier handles and the bragging rights of the names. For the most part Zenith and Maseto and Semogue badgers function as well as or better than the more expensive cousins.

I have the range of badger brushes from about $35 to about $400 or so. There's not that much difference which doesn't mean I don't like my Simpson Manchurian CH3 or my Shavemac.

Some of the problem is terminology. Actually all two bands and all three bands are silvertip badger. Sometimes two band is called finest. Sometimes two band is called two band silvertip. Sometimes two band is called two band. Three bands are sometimes called three bands, but often are called silvertip badger.

Learn how to recognize all of them by how many bands you see as well as by the vendor's description.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-16-21.SOC-FInest.BrandNew.640.JPG

3-29-21.SemogueTSN.LE.ThreeBand.New.640.JPG

The Semogue finest two band is great. Mine's in the SOC version, but there are others. I like the Taj handle, but the other handles are great, too.

Semogue occasionally makes a three band silvertip, but, as far as I can determine, they're only made in the limited edition versions which are usually sold out by the time you hear about them. That said, I was able to buy one several months ago. I would like it better if it were 26 or 28 mm, but it still might be my favorite three band. The handle is exactly the same as the resin SOC handles other than color.

I have only a few three bands. More two bands and Manchurians. How many brushes does a guy need?

12-15-21.CM1.Vitos.SOC-Boar.JPG

12-1-21.1.35.WR2.CK-6.Mistura.640.JPG

Badgers, boars, misturas...not even counting horses.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I need to correct something I said, as I've run across several Semogue silvertip badger brushes in HD (high density). I've not used any of them, but they're out there.

1643483507858.png

Here's a link. I've purchased from the vendor. I've not used this brush or any other Semogue 3 band other than the LE.

Happy shaves,

Jim

First i would like to thank all the wonderful people here who are so helpful and you all have saved me lots of money and headache i was not thinking correctly i return the 2 simpson brushes i order one was chubby 3 and other was duke 3 now i am going to buy these brushes it would help me understand each class of brushes and which one i like the better than i can go that route please give me any feed back what you all think i got the link and info for the brushes from this other member on another forum

A Yaqui Silvertip 24mm for $49
A Simpson T2 Synthetic 24mm for $30
An Omega or Semogue boar for about $25

First i would like to thank all the wonderful people here who are so helpful and you all have saved me lots of money and headache i was not thinking correctly i return the 2 simpson brushes i order one was chubby 3 and other was duke 3 now i am going to buy these brushes it would help me understand each class of brushes and which one i like the better than i can go that route please give me any feed back what you all think i got the link and info for the brushes from this other member on another forum

A Yaqui Silvertip 24mm for $49
A Simpson T2 Synthetic 24mm for $30
An Omega or Semogue boar for about $25
I only have Yaqi 2 Bands so I can’t say anything about their Silvertips.

The T2 is a solid choice as are most of Yaqis Synthetics. No need to spend 25 bucks on a boar most Omegas go for 10-15. The boar will start out stiff and scratchy but will break in with usage so you can see and feel the development.

That's a pretty high budget and you can buy an amazing brush with that type of quid- but if you don't know what you like it's a lot of money to spend on a brush. More expensive doesn't equal better because brushes behave so differently. A 90 dollar brush might feel like heaven to you and a 300 dollar brush will no doubt be nice though there might be something about it that irks you for the money you spent on it. If you're looking to start with a quality badger brush try the simpson Duke 3 in Best and refine what you like from there. Sign up for west coast shaving news letter as they go on sale quite often- totally worth it.

Omega 11126 Boar Shaving Brush, Ovangkol Wooden Handle
Simpson Trafalgar Fibre Synthetic Shaving Brush T2
Yaqi R1818 Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush

Just got done ordering these from WCS i can't wait to try them out i am so excited lol

Hello everyone today was my first shave

Simpson Trafalgar Fibre Synthetic Shaving Brush T2
Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl, Grapefruit
Merkur Mk34c Double Edge Razor
Feather Double Edge Safety Razor Blades

The feather blades were aggressive for me i think it could be since i am new and i don't have the right angle but will try the badger brush and boar brush next time and try different blade. i would also spend more time on pre shave see if that helps synthetic brush was not scratchy it felt nice and the shaving cream smell felt relaxing it felt like a nice face massage. I also notice i was not letting the razor drag but some times i press hard again the skin. I used stirling barbershop scent post shave balm which helped but i did not see any cuts on my face so that was good i guess that's all for now till next time take care everyone and thanks for everyone help and support.

1stshave.jpg

...i guess that's all for now till next time take care everyone and thanks for everyone help and support.
Looks like a good start. Tell us what you think when you get the new brushes and try them out. Remember, boar brushes have to be broken in which may take 15-20+ lathers.

Top Bottom