What's new

looking for a brush

Hi everyone i am very new to wet shaving all the help would be really appreciated.
I am looking to buy a silvertip badger shaving brush. good for face or bowl lather
feel soft to face and good backbone
price range is between $250-$350

I would recommend the Alpha T, and then get a few ferrules and try a few artisan knots. Get a Badger / a Boar / a Syth and you can try out a few knots and still stay under your budget. I love mine and it feels great in the hand.

Good Luck Greazy!

1643407494328.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hi everyone i am very new to wet shaving all the help would be really appreciated.
I am looking to buy a silvertip badger shaving brush. good for face or bowl lather
feel soft to face and good backbone
price range is between $250-$350

For that budget I got a Kent BK4 and a BKB4, the same silvertip brushes but one with a white handle and one with a black handle, making it super easy to keep track of my rotation.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
In that price range, you can find a brush for the ages.

German maker Shavemac handcrafts my favorite badger knots. You can go directly through their website. I recently purchased the two below, the Cocobolo wood brush on the left is a standard offering, the one on the right is a custom build based on my alma mater's colors.

Or, you can also ask @Rudy Vey (artisan, longtime B&B friend, and a great guy) to custom make a brush for you using a Shavemac knot.

Get ready for a lot of recommendations as there is a lot of passion surrounding brushes around here. Enjoy the journey, and all the best!

EA9F8747-C794-4FDA-8336-F49FFCF1EFB0.jpeg

German maker Shavemac handcrafts my favorite badger knots. You can go directly through their website. I recently purchased the two below, the Cocobolo wood brush on the left is a standard offering, the one on the right is a custom build based on my alma mater's colors.

Or, you can also ask @Rudy Vey (artisan, longtime B&B friend, and a great guy) to custom make a brush for you using a Shavemac knot.

Get ready for a lot of recommendations as there is a lot of passion surrounding brushes around here. Enjoy the journey, and all the best!

View attachment 1400972
i was looking into shavemac but was confused about should i get a 2 band or 3 band

The brush that comes to mind is the Saponificio Varesino HMW. Should check all your boxes. That said I really think you will be missing a great opportunity to learn why a particular brush is so good. If you have not had a Badger brush yet, something like a Simpson best badger hair is a great start in learning about Badger brushes.

I have always had a tendency to buy the most expensive to get the best. In this shaving hobby experiencing the differences is what gets me to what is the best for me.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I believe you must have 10 posts before you can IM. However, by my tagging him, he will see our conversation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
i was looking into shavemac but was confused about should i get a 2 band or 3 band

Based on that, and on your inexperience as a person new to this, I'd advise against buying any kind of brush so expensive as $250 - $350.

There are many many really good brushes worth owning for far less money.

I'd buy a good two band and a good three band, getting both for under two hundred dollars total, and see what you like.

1-24-22.Muraamasa.CK-6.CH3.Manchurian.640.JPG
1-17-22.CH2.TwoBand.CK-6.Muramasa.640JPG.JPG

Be aware not all two bands are actually alike. A Simpson Silvertip Badger (which is a two band) isn't all that much like a Shavemac two band. But, in general, think of two band and finest as the same thing, and think of Manchurian as a two band on steroids.

I love Manchurians and also the Shavemac DO1 two band, but both may be an acquired taste. Some Manchurians are far more expensive, but the Zenith Manchurians are both very good in my experience of them and relative bargains.

As a general rule maybe three bands are a bit softer and maybe have a bit less scrub, but three bands can be plenty soft (or not), and three bands can have plenty of backbone and scrub.

3-19-20.BrandNew.ZenithSilvertip.640.JPG
MS2. Maseto.Brushes.Old.New.640.Cropped.JPG

These are all three bands.​

Same with three bands. They're not all exactly alike by any means.

I'd consider buying these.
  • One of any of the following - two band or finest or Manchurian - Maseto (on eBay), Zenith (on eBay or Your Shaving), Semogue finest (shop around for prices).
  • One of any of the following - three band - Maseto, Zenith.
If you take that option, you'll save a bunch of money, get two really good brushes, and have kit to help you determine what you like.

11-6-21.Shavemac2Band.ATT.CR1.Vitos.640.JPG
Executive#5.RV-D01.Vitos.2-23-21.640.JPG

11-17-21.1.35WR2.SOC-Finest.PAA-CK-6.Scentless.640JPG.JPG

Semogue SOC finest.​

If you must spend $350 on a brush, I'd be looking into Shavemacs whether through their website (talk to them), or have Rudy Vey build you a Rudy Vey Shavemac (talk to Rudy), or maybe get a nice Simpson. There are often some truly barely used great upper end brushes at relative bargain prices on the BST.

The butterscotch beehive is a Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1 two band. The blue brush is a Shavemac non-DO1 two band.

There's only one way to get experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Parker Safety Razor Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush–Faux Horn Handle with a Chrome Base, Long Loft Dense Bristles
found this at amazon its a 3 band

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Before spending that kind of money I would first experiment to establish what you like in terms of hair type, knot size, handle shape and size, bowl or face lathering, loft, natural or synthetic etc. Brushes I liked when I first started shaving have since been moved on as my taste has changed and refined. My favourites now range across all hair types and prices. For you I respectfully advise a Simpson Manchurian as it will have a high resale value. 👍

@EclipseRedRing what would you buy

Simpsons Chubby Super Badger Shaving Brush (Chubby CH3 Super) or Chubby 3 Manchurian Badger i did order the chubby ch3 super from amazon it be here on sunday but i can return it if i want for free​

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

View attachment 1400972
Those are beauties, but that Alma Mater one is breathtaking!

Not much to add to all the above…

How did you came to the conclusion that it should be a Silvertip in this pricerange?
What are you currently using and what do you like/not like about your brush(es)?

Very few members here stick to 1-2 brushes only so whatever you choose it will be an exciting start to your journey :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
@EclipseRedRing what would you buy

Simpsons Chubby Super Badger Shaving Brush (Chubby CH3 Super) or Chubby 3 Manchurian Badger i did order the chubby ch3 super from amazon it be here on sunday but i can return it if i want for free​

I would buy neither as I would not use them since my past experience tells me they are far far too big for me. I owned a Chubby 2 and 3 and sold them both as I found them comically unusable. I would buy, and do own, a Chubby 1 Manchurian. What size knot do you prefer? The Super is very soft and floppy and I dislike it a lot, the Manchurian is stiff with soft tips and maybe a bit of scritch and I love it. What type of hair do you prefer? You may prefer a boar which is significantly cheaper. I would start with a $50 brush like a Semogue SOC, see what you like about it and what you don't for six months and then go from there 👍

Top Bottom