What's new

Looking For A Boar

Interesting responses to what appeared to be a simple question. One nice thing about Omegas is that they are INEXPENSIVE which is not the same as CHEAP. I recently acquired two from Charles. He recently put up a nice web page highlighting the brushes that he has found to be worthwhile for wet shavers of all tastes. You might visit here. I have the 80080 and the 50014 turn-back. The 80080 is a jewel at twice the price and the light-weight stand is convenient. The 50014, while a bit smallish is perfect for the overnight or week-long outing. Quick to dry, it really is easier to keep in a dopp kit in the AM when moving on to the next stop.
You have the right attitude, this is not a *** for tat game. Bravo!:thumbup1:

I'd say the 1305 is going to be too large for what you want, and the omega Pros are going to be WAAAAY to big.

Personally, based solely on size requirements, I'd go for the Semogue 1470:
http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-1470-shaving-brush-p-71

It's a nice little small brush. The 620 *technically* is the same size knot, but it's much more dense and seems bigger.

If you were leaning toward the 1305, I'd say get the 830 instead. it's denser, but doesn't splay as much as the 1305, plus it has the acrylic handle, which I like.

Hey guys this thread is not about the OP getting even with his SWMBO it is about their agreement about how they will help control each others ADs her AD is coach hand bags and his is shaving items. and if she gets one then he gets something too... they don't have price limits for each other just purchase limits of one per customer :lol:

The OP's current want is a nice boar brush that will fit his needs so lets all help him with just that :thumbup:

Thanks guys. This thread did get a bit off topic. I will be buying either a Rooney or Simpsons best within the next month or two but I was looking for a boar to order this week. I appreciate the help from everyone. I think I have it narrowed down to the 1305 and 1470 due to the smaller knot sizes. Is there a difference between the 90% best and 90% premium tips? I don't think that the 55mm loft on the 1305 will be a big problem, but if someone else wants to chime in on that feel free.

The Best hair is bleached, while the Premium is dyed in order to achieve that imitation badger look. Despite the fineness advantage at the tips the Premium has, the knots are packed slightly more dense, and the bristle will maintain more stiffness in the backbone after use. This includes break-in, or just long soaks in water. I don't believe the loft will be problematic.

Take this with a grain of salt since it's my first brush. I have the omega 10275 and think it's great. Definitely has the backbone for soap and felt soft on my face, though I can not compare the softness with any other brushes.
I can't say there is nothing better but I doubt you would be disappointed.

Personally, based solely on size requirements, I'd go for the Semogue 1470:
http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-1470-shaving-brush-p-71

It's a nice little small brush. The 620 *technically* is the same size knot, but it's much more dense and seems bigger.

I have both of these and if anything the 1470 seems denser, splays more, and is much softer. The 620 is simply stiffer.

If you were leaning toward the 1305, I'd say get the 830 instead. it's denser, but doesn't splay as much as the 1305, plus it has the acrylic handle, which I like.
I gotta disagree again. The 830 has 10% more hair and has a different angle set in the knot, so it splays more than the 1305.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1996039&postcount=136

I don't find the 1305 big. The SOC is, and goes far too big and floppy after break in. Lovely brush, but too big for my face. 1305/830 are good balances between firm and soft tips. If you want a small softish brush go 1470. If you want scrubby, 620.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This thread did get a bit off topic. I will be buying either a Rooney or Simpsons best within the next month or two but I was looking for a boar to order this week. I appreciate the help from everyone. I think I have it narrowed down to the 1305 and 1470 due to the smaller knot sizes. Is there a difference between the 90% best and 90% premium tips? I don't think that the 55mm loft on the 1305 will be a big problem, but if someone else wants to chime in on that feel free.

Just received my Semogue 1250, same Loft & Knot as the 1305, has an Oak Wood handle, and soaked in Body wash 2 1/2 hours. After rinsing out the soap, I made a nice thick lather with EJ Sandalwood puck & VDH deluxe, stored, soaking in the lather, until tomorrow A.M.

Their are no paint issues due to the natural wood, I applied 4 coats Clear Coat Nail Polish as waterproof, and the bristles were orderless and soft out of the box, cost ~ e11.95.

To make shipping worthwhile, try the 444 ASB, 37 gr ~e 5.45, works great on my dry winter skin. One more; La Toja Sensitive SC :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Well gee, at $10 from West Coast Shaving I'd get the Omega 10275, were it me. I have four Omegas and they've all been just great, especially for the price. My personal favorite is the 31064.

You really can't go wrong between the Omega and Semogue, though.

Jeff

Hmm...I've got an Omega 81025, but have been waiting for the Omega 11047 to come back in stock...43mm loft vs. 47mm (for the 10275) sounds nice (even if the handle appears a bit small, my hands aren't huge). Maybe I'll have to get both and have a lather-off....

I really like my Semogue Owners Club Boar brush. I bowl lather shaving creams and soaps with it to great effect. I highly recommend it.

However, if you get a twitch for a badger brush, I would recommend a Simpson Emperor in Three-Band Super Badger in the size of your choosing.

Let us know what you get.

I have had a Semogue 1460 (same as 1470 but with painted handle) for two months. Even after using 2-3 times a week I still find it to be a lather hog. Got a 620 a couple weeks ago and had fears from reports of very stiff/scritchy tips. Well I am overly impressed. It has been great out of the gate. Surprisingly supple tips and generates ample face lather. My nod goes to the 620. FWIW I should have opted for 1470 with it's plain wood handle. Have had minor issue with the pretty painted 1460.

You could get the Berkeley in Best and the Semogue 1305 for just about the same price as the Rooney. :ihih:

I was considering this. I almost bought a 3/1 yesterday off of bst but somebody beat me to it. I still think that I will end up having one on the way this month, but that's another decision for another day. I'm just lucky that there isn't anywhere that sells both. I think that I have decided on the 1305. 22mm knot and 55mm loft combined with Semogue's 90% premium tips sounds like a great combination. With all the praise it receives on here, I don't think I can go wrong. Thanks for all the help.

Hmm...I've got an Omega 81025, but have been waiting for the Omega 11047 to come back in stock...43mm loft vs. 47mm (for the 10275) sounds nice (even if the handle appears a bit small, my hands aren't huge). Maybe I'll have to get both and have a lather-off....

Sean, that "11047" may be a misprint. I own an Omega 21047 that has exactly the same specs (got it at ShoeBoxShaving if you just want to check out their listing on it). Also, I'm pretty sure I saw that brush with the correct ID number on it a week or two ago. It might not improve the inventory situation, but if the "11047" doesn't exist, they'll never get back in stock! :w00t:

I'll PM John and ask him about it.

Sean, that "11047" may be a misprint. I own an Omega 21047 that has exactly the same specs (got it at ShoeBoxShaving if you just want to check out their listing on it). Also, I'm pretty sure I saw that brush with the correct ID number on it a week or two ago. It might not improve the inventory situation, but if the "11047" doesn't exist, they'll never get back in stock! :w00t:

Thanks for the info, it does appear to be the same brush (and product photo).

Thanks for the info, it does appear to be the same brush (and product photo).

Sean, I got a PM back from John @ WCS and he told me that Omega actually changed the model number and that little brush is now the 11047. Just wanted to follow up.

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I just wanted to thank all the brush pushing enablers that contributed to this thread (I mean that in the best way possible:001_tongu). I did end up purchasing a Semogue 1305 from Vintagescent a few days ago and now a Rooney 1/1 is on it's way courtesy of BST. This ad thing is going to get ugly real quick.

Top Bottom