What's new

Looking for a boar brush..

Hello gents,

I own an Omega Pro 10049 which performs brilliantly, however I believe it's a wee bit big for face lathering. And the handle looks a bit cheap as well...
I'd like to upgrade to a tad bit smaller boar brush, with a nice backbone, not too stiff though (or scratchy). I've been looking through the Omega and Semogue collections, the choice is so wide that I finally ended up completely confused.
What caught my eye was a Semogue Owners Club Taj Resin Premium boar Edition which doesn't look as cheap as my current boar brush. Would you have any experience to share?
I also came across to a 50% boar - 50% 2 band badger Semogue brush which looks very nice. Do they perform well?

Any other suggestion / advice is more than welcome and highly appreciated.

Thanks a million!

P.S. I already own badger brushes, from super to silvertip grade, as well as synthetics. My post is only related to boar/ boar mixed brushes ;)

From what I have read, the Zenith and Mondial brushes are some of the best bang for buck without spending too much. Quality and performance are said to be superb. Might check those brands out and the size you're looking for if you haven't already. Many also really like the SOC boar once broken in (which can take a long time).

Semogue Owner's Club brushes are nice. Another to consider would be an Omega S-Brush. Its a synthetic but its got all the scritch and backbone that you could ask for from any boar.

I own the omega pro 10049 and it’s my go to daily driver. I have no problems on the rare occasions I face lather. To me it’s the perfect brush and I’ll never own anything other boar. It doesn’t seem cheap to me at all. I guess this is a true case of YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go for the SOC Taj Resin. Everything that's great about the original SOC boar, but with a handle comparable in quality to high end badger brushes.

I've been using Omegas for years (currently a 10049) and have no complaints about them once they're broken in. I've noticed that some break in easier than others though. Nothing wrong with Semogue, some nice handles on some of them, but neither better or worse than the Omegas in my opinion.

Recently I checked out a buddy's Zenith and my next boar will definitely be one of those. I saw it when he first got it and it was some of the best, softest boar hair I've seen on a new brush... something to do with their treatment I assume. Now that it's a bit more broken in, it's incredible. This is definitely a YMMV kinda of thing, but aluminum handle in the Italian "pro" shape really can't be beat.

This is my boar line up. I like to let them dry thoroughly between uses. I face lather frequently, more than 50%.

700B0983-E79E-4673-83E9-1C720857E45F.jpeg

The Omega 10005 on the right is my favorite. It’s a nice handle if you like wood. The Semogue on the left is a nice size, but still a little stiffer than I like. So far I prefer Omega boar knots. I just break them in with use, so YMMV especially if you have a break-in protocol. The Omega 10066 is a nice brush too, the handle shape is great, but there is nothing classy about the plastic. The Vulfix is OK, nice size, but the knot is soft for me and a bit ugly.

My only boar/badger mix is the Omega 11047 mixed midget. It performs fine for face lathering, but 100% boar is my first choice.

I have a Proraso and a Mondial. I think that Mondial is worth a try and I love the Proraso (now that is broken in fully).

Steongb Backbone = Proraso
Medium Backbone = Mondial

IMG_20181108_230304.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have the Taj boar and it's a very nice brush. The handle is the same shape as the wood SOC handle, but smaller. For me this equals less comfortable, but that's obviously a personal choice.

You might want to consider an SOC 2 band badger. It sounds like it hits all your points: not too big, plenty of backbone and not skritchy.

- Semogue 1250 or 820 (they have the same loft)
- Omega medium sized brushes (any with 24x55mm knot. The ones with dyed bristle are supposed to be a bit softer than the ones with undyed. But it's not guaranteed).

Top Bottom