What's new

Looking for a 8000gr stone syn or nat. Any good suggestions?

You looking for one as part of a progression? The Shapton pro 8k gets some good reviews.

Alternatively you can get something like a coti which comes in about 8-10k and can end up being a middle grit stone with some slurry or even a finisher with plain water.

Also a jnat with slurry can come in around that range too with the right nagura.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
8k Naniwa or 3u lapping film. Finish on 12k Naniwa or 1u lapping film. If you want sharper and smoother, tack on a 3 stage balsa progression.

Shapton I am sure is quite adequate, too. I just haven't use a Shap in that range. Some naturals would do you just fine, but it may take anywhere from a little longer to a heck of a lot longer to learn it. You might enjoy the journey. Me, I would rather just enjoy the shave, right from the start, but YMMV.

I recently re-read a bunch of posts about 8k synthetic stones, and the Shapton HR 8000 and the Naniwa (Original) Snow White 8000 (IF-0001) seem to get the most love followed by the Shapton Professional 8000.

That said, I totally trust what @Steve56 says about the Shapton HC 8000.

Of the two Snow Whites made by Naniwa, the Original Snow White (IF-0001) seems to get more love than the "New Snow White" Traditional 8000 (T-380). The Original Snow White (IF-0001) is said to be less thirsty, a little finer and a bit harder than the Naniwa "New Snow White" Traditional 8000 (T-380).

BTW, I have and am really happy with my Shapton HR 8000. I bought the HR instead of the HC in case I every buy any stainless razors - I wasn't able to find any information about people using the HC on stainless.

Confession: I would really like to try the Original Snow White.

Shapton Pro 8K. The best of the Shapton Stones I use. Read reports that Shapton put a lot of time and research into developing this particular stone. The results reveal just that. The Naniwa 8K stone is another that is an excellent stone.

Top Bottom