What's new

Looking for $100 Coffee Maker

The only downside to the pour over options are that they use paper filters which results in a different cup of coffee. I have heard from a coworker that the $150 Bonavita makes great coffee and they have thermal carafes if you want to stay no-glass.
For metal, if you are only making a cup or two, what about a cheaper metal French press? I've seen travel ones at Starbucks for around $20.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a Technivorm and French Press and they are two different animals.

The press: as long as you don't mind a hint (or more) of oil, sludge and the increased cholesterol risk it makes great coffee. My cholesterol is low and I don't mind the rest, but it is definitely a fussier process and requires considerably more attention.

The Technivorm is used every morning and is very easy and makes great coffee.

The cheaper drip machines tend to all use considerably smaller heating units (hence the price drop) that don't reach optimum brewing temperature at the beginning of the drip.

The only downside to the pour over options are that they use paper filters which results in a different cup of coffee. I have heard from a coworker that the $150 Bonavita makes great coffee and they have thermal carafes if you want to stay no-glass.
For metal, if you are only making a cup or two, what about a cheaper metal French press? I've seen travel ones at Starbucks for around $20.

I've never seen cheap $20 metal French Presses at Starbucks or I would have bought one. :(

I use a Technivorm and French Press and they are two different animals.

The press: as long as you don't mind a hint (or more) of oil, sludge and the increased cholesterol risk it makes great coffee. My cholesterol is low and I don't mind the rest, but it is definitely a fussier process and requires considerably more attention.

The Technivorm is used every morning and is very easy and makes great coffee.

The cheaper drip machines tend to all use considerably smaller heating units (hence the price drop) that don't reach optimum brewing temperature at the beginning of the drip.

Higher cholesterol? Really? I didn't know that.

And I've used cheap/inexpensive drip machines and have never been impressed. My first cup of French Press coffee was like a dream come true. So it's worth the little extra effort, although pressing a button and getting amazing coffee from an automatic drip sounds amazing.

Try an inexpensive stove top pot if you want something spectacular

proxy.php

I ran into your same problem except it was my wife breaking the glass French presses. I bought a Bodum double walled stainless and that solved the problem. Also kept the coffee warmer a tad bit longer.

All this talk about presses made me break out the Frieling just now. Mexican Chiapas (Majomut coop) roasted city+ at the end of last week (about out of it and time to roast more of this spectacular bean)

No words to describe it but I think the pics tell all that needs to be known

proxy.php

How do you like your Forte? I have a Vario and have a feeling it won't be a substantial enough upgrade to a Forte, but maybe you can speak to the turtle?

For $25 it's worth trying the Aeropress. I can't post a link but they're on amazon.com. They brew among the best coffee I've ever had and are very forgiving of the grind.

How do you like your Forte? I have a Vario and have a feeling it won't be a substantial enough upgrade to a Forte, but maybe you can speak to the turtle?

They are basically the same grinder as the burr set is the same in both models (they are interchangeable and listed as the same part for both units). The difference is in the build and internals. Forte is a commercial built unit and Vario is a home grinder. It is a duty cycle thing more than a performance/grind difference thing

I had a Vario-W that I foo-barred up so badly to the point that Baratza let me send it back to them and gave me a full credit toward the purchase of the Forte that I now have.

If your Vario is working fine, you would not find an improvement in moving to the Forte. I tried to change burrs to steel in mine and everything that could go wrong did go wrong to the point that they said they would exchange mine for another one then I asked about the Forte and they said I could get that for the difference in what I paid them for the Vario-W and the price of the Forte so I jumped and have never looked back.

I have the Forte brew grinder with the steel burrs as I wanted a pour over grinder

Last edited:
All this talk about presses made me break out the Frieling just now. Mexican Chiapas (Majomut coop) roasted city+ at the end of last week (about out of it and time to roast more of this spectacular bean)

proxy.php

That is a fantastic cup of coffee! My favorite bean too. Something about Chiapas......beautiful Mick.

If your Vario is working fine, you would not find an improvement in moving to the Forte.

Thanks for the long review (snipped quote for scrolling). I wasn't really feeling the upgrade but was curious since there still isn't much out there on the Forte.

Baratza did a similar thing for me after my third Preciso in under 90 days - the adjustment rings were not staying put and I was able to upgrade because I wanted something sturdier. Great customer service. Great grinder too except I keep it espresso calibrated so at the coarse end it isn't actually very coarse.

Thanks for the long review (snipped quote for scrolling). I wasn't really feeling the upgrade but was curious since there still isn't much out there on the Forte.

Baratza did a similar thing for me after my third Preciso in under 90 days - the adjustment rings were not staying put and I was able to upgrade because I wanted something sturdier. Great customer service. Great grinder too except I keep it espresso calibrated so at the coarse end it isn't actually very coarse.

With any grinder ALWAYS remember to start the grinder running BEFORE you make any grind setting adjustments (up or down).

This is especially important with Baratza grinders as the adjusters are plastic and can break/bend easily if the burrs are not turning when you change the grind settings.

Get a Bunn. I've always drank percolator coffee, but this is the only drip machine that gets the same richness. It's fast, too. 2-4 minutes to make 10-12 cups of coffee. I don't usually make a full pot- I just pour the water in from the cup I intend on drinking out of (usually a soup mug, in truth. Holds about 5 cups). Takes all of 30 seconds to make that amount, and strong. Last I saw, you can pick one up for about 80 dollars.

Last edited:
+1 on the Moka pot that Mick suggested. I've been using mine almost daily for the past few weeks and making some spectacular Americanos. Paired with a Hairo Skerton you are only out about $60 or less.

proxy.php

absolutely beautiful and sexy top view. I could almost taste it.

+1 on the Moka pot that Mick suggested. I've been using mine almost daily for the past few weeks and making some spectacular Americanos. Paired with a Hairo Skerton you are only out about $60 or less.

I agree. I've got one of their 12 cup models and one of the 2 cup models. Both make a great cup of coffee.

Top Bottom