What's new

Looking for $100 Coffee Maker

The Sowden pitcher doesn't get a lot of talk anywhere, and it'd intrigued me for a while.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/sowden-softbrew-coffee-maker-with-scoop

It's basically filter coffee, but it's prepared in a pitcher. Half of your pricepoint.

There's also Vacuum pots, that add a little decoration to the kitchen and produce a phenomenal cup of coffee! http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewing/coffee-brewers/vacuum-brewers.html

Or how about the Aeropress. A similar cup and process as the French Press (especially if you get either the Able or Kaffeology stainless steel filters), quite inexpensive, good for traveling, and not easily broken.

+1 on Cuisinart. I want good coffee with the least possible amount of effort. No fancy-schmancy contraptions for me. The Cuisinart does that for me. Coffee is my drink, not my hobby. Not saying anything bad against you guys that do all that fancy stuff, but it's not for me. I have the Cuisinart with the steel carafe, and I warm up the carafe with hot water before I start. It's as good a cup as I want in a short period of time.

I had a Bunn, and it was a good maker, but the fact that it was on all the time keeping the water hot wasn't efficient, IMHO.

As with all things, YMMV.

Aeropress with a Heico Slim Grinder. ..$50

Did you mean Hario grinder? Anyway, if you haven't tried the Aeropress, you are missing something. I've been using mine for 5+ years and still works perfectly. Can't believe how prices have gone up. I paid $16 for mine.

+1 on Cuisinart. I want good coffee with the least possible amount of effort. No fancy-schmancy contraptions for me. The Cuisinart does that for me. Coffee is my drink, not my hobby. Not saying anything bad against you guys that do all that fancy stuff, but it's not for me. I have the Cuisinart with the steel carafe, and I warm up the carafe with hot water before I start. It's as good a cup as I want in a short period of time.

I had a Bunn, and it was a good maker, but the fact that it was on all the time keeping the water hot wasn't efficient, IMHO.

As with all things, YMMV.

Plus doesnt the Bunn brew too fast? My understanding is that afull 12cup pot sgoul take at least 5-6 mins. The Bunn does it in 3.

The cheaper drip machines tend to all use considerably smaller heating units (hence the price drop) that don't reach optimum brewing temperature at the beginning of the drip.
This thread is getting older so I apologize for the graveyard bump. This comment did remind me of a way I counteract this: I have a Black and Decker auto which I like quite a bit despite it's eccentricities. It allows me to lift the reservoir lid and that redirects the water back into the reservoir. I leave it like that until a little steam rises then I close it and allow it to do it's thing. I have found the water is much closer to optimal temp - at least as close as you get with a cheaper drip.

Plus doesnt the Bunn brew too fast? My understanding is that afull 12cup pot sgoul take at least 5-6 mins. The Bunn does it in 3.

This is the cycle time on my Bunn

Cold start until ready to brew = 16 minutes

time to brew a full pot of coffee = 4 minutes

Total time from cold start until first pot ready to drink = 20 minutes

time from brew start until boiler re-fires = 2 minutes

time from boiler restart to ready for second pot = 4 minutes

Time between first pot finishing and a second pot being ready to start = 2 minutes

proxy.php

Did you mean Hario grinder? Anyway, if you haven't tried the Aeropress, you are missing something. I've been using mine for 5+ years and still works perfectly. Can't believe how prices have gone up. I paid $16 for mine.

Yes, I did mean hairo thanks! I got the aero for $25

Top Bottom