What's new

Looking back on my 2021 shaving adventures

Great thread. I spent too much this year. Mostly on razors and cologne.
favorites this year
Razor: Timeless stainless .95
EDT: Caswell Massey Supernatural 6
Soap: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola
Aftershave: anything Captain's Choice

Great thread. I spent too much this year. Mostly on razors and cologne.
favorites this year
Razor: Timeless stainless .95
EDT: Caswell Massey Supernatural 6
Soap: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola
Aftershave: anything Captain's Choice
Man, that Timeless is calling to me… must… resist!

for me 2022 is all about Williams, while I have some containers of other shave soaps, and I do like them, I'm really going to focus and work on the "drug store" stuff. Sure I will order some stuff when I can't source it locally, but I'm really focusing on old school stuff for 2022.

Ever since I scored a bottle of Old Spice, I've learned that great can be had at a decent price. I do love me some Stirling products though, so once I finish up my container of "green" I'll look to get something else from Rod. Maybe venture into the Bay Rums. Who knows.

2022 has so far been about keeping to a fixed set-up for a week at a time and trying to use one soap until it's gone!

It's an age old tale but through 2020 and much of 2021 I accumulated rather too many brushes, soaps, razors, blades etc. so Operation "USE IT OR LOSE IT" was launched in the autumn which whittled down the collection to 6 or 7 soaps & splashes, roughly 12 razors and a small assortment of different blades.

If I can get down to 5 favourite soaps, splashes, razors, blades and brushes it'll be mission accomplished :)

Subject to change every five minutes:

Razor:
1. WR2 .95 SB
2. G-2 Fatboy, 7 WTG, 5 XTG, 5 ATG
3. Timeless Ti .68 SB
4. Karve C SB only 3, eh?

Blade:
Med Prep
(I also have some older blades that I'm very fond of)

Brush:
Turn 'N Shave Faux Horse synth in Wild West handle
TNS Quarter Moon in an Elite handle
Green Ray

Soap:
GD L'Aventura
DG Weinstrasse
B&M Seville

AS:
Myrsol Formula K
Stirling Bergamot & Lavender
Speick

Balm:
Stirling Bergamot & Lavender
Stirling Gin & Tonic

I FINALLY acquired a Declaration Grooming brush. A 26mm B9A+ in a gorgeous Prometheus Brushworks handle. I thought I preferred backbone to floppy, and this brush, at 48mm loft, seemed perfect. Springy with lots (and I thought, not TOO much) of backbone and by far the densest knot I've ever used. But I found with this much backbone and density, the brush is a poor painter, it hogs lather like nobody's business, and I use a TON of soap.
My Maggard 26mm SHD fan set at 50mm has enough backbone without being floppy, lathers much easier, uses less than half the soap (an average of 1.2g/shave vs. 2.3 g/shave), and doesn't hog lather.
Needless to say, the DG is a fantastic brush that you'll find on the BST soon! It just needs the right home.

Top Bottom