What's new

Looking at slant razors

So my interest has been peeked for slants. I am currently looking at the iKon slant and the Fatip slant. Being the person that hasn't used a slant before and has very little knowledge in them I am turning to you for help.

What advice do you have on slants? Are the two I'm looking at good? Are there other I should consider?

The iKon B1 slant is very good, IMO, their others are a pretty mixed bag. Fatip, for me has been excellent, just be aware you may encounter some blade alignment issues (I have not, others have). The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) monster series (Phantom, Filament, Fantasma, etc.,) are all very good & reasonably priced.

For me the Above the Tie S1 became my daily for a long time, the Ikon B1 (more expensive one) was fun but a little aggressive for daily use, then the Merkur which just seemed finicky to me but I need to give it another go (Whole razor so I couldn’t use my favorite handle).

There is more designs these days and while the Above the Tie slant isn’t dramatic in being a slant it is definitely easy to use.

As a first foray into slants you can't go wrong with a Merkur 37C. It is pretty much the smoothest shaving razor I've ever used (and I've used a lot). It is mild but very efficient.

For something with more blade feel, go for the Fatip Lo Storto Gentile and if you want even more punch then the Fatip Lo Storto open comb is great.

All three are inexpensive too 👍

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the Ikon B1 Slant and the Fatip often called FOCS, actually the Fatip Lo Storto slant.

The FOCS is better than the B1 and both cannot compare to the Wunderbar or Superslant L3.

Ikon has many good razor heads, the B1 slant is good and on the mild side. It's not that it is bad, the FOCS is just better and the new RazoRock slants make them both look old.

For dipping your toe, I recommend the FaTip LoStorto Gentile. It is more forgiving than the open comb and is efficient and mild. There isn’t a better value in slants than the FaTip lineup.

For dipping your toe, I recommend the FaTip LoStorto Gentile. It is more forgiving than the open comb and is efficient and mild. There isn’t a better value in slants than the FaTip lineup.
As a mild razor user, I’m a big fan of the open comb Fatip slant, called “FOCS” on this forum, for about $40. You might fall in love with it. I have.

You could start with a Parker Semi Slant. Nothing semi about it, but imho the best starter. Great combination of ease of use and efficiency. Dirt cheap too, so this would be my recommendation.
Mind you: I have many slants, but maybe you will not like slants. Might save you some money.
Don't think this one is a trade of, though. I like it very much.

I only have 6 of the FOCS 🫢

The Gentile is much more forgiving.
I’m sure I would feel the same way. I bought a non-slant Gentile a couple of years ago but resold it pretty quickly. I like Techs and other mild razors, but that one was just too mild to work for me.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have the FOCS and the Yaqi slant and can use both as daily shavers. I just used the Parker semi slant for the first time I got it as a Christmas present.

To me It's a smooth and comfortable shaver with good efficiency im surprised it doesn't get more love on here

And as @Jack Goossen says it won't break the bank.

Really good suggestion @Jack Goossen.

I use the Wunderbar more than any other razor and while it is indeed fantastic it will also take flesh if technique isn’t very good. Slants can get a bad wrap due to perceived aggressiveness so for the first, a mild one might keep from souring a man.

Ignorant question from an old timer, but does fatip still use their own unique thread pattern that doesn’t work with other handles? When they started becoming popular that was one of the thing about them that turned me away. I love to use my UFO Colibri but if the head doesn’t work with it then it’s a Turn off.

Go with a wunderbar or new superslant. Build quality is top notch on both. I used a WB for 2 years as primary without issues and getting great results.

Lots of razors (non-slant) that will give you superb shaves. Karve OverLander, Razorine FlatBoy, Drakkant+, Smart-Helix Apollo just to name a few.

Top Bottom