What's new

Looking at new razors, need some help...

I currently have been wet shaving for about 2 years now and my primary razor is a Muhle R41 that i occasionally switch of with an Edwin Jagger DE89. I love the agreesiveness of the Muhle but curiosity got me and i ordered a Rockwell 6S. Despite the rave reviews I am not crazy about it, the head size just isnt my cup of tea.

So, I am looking at possibly another stainless steel razor but want one that is similar to the R41 if possible in agressiveness. Does this type of razor exist?

Thanks All!

A DE89 was my primary razor for a few years until I bought an R41, which has now become my goto razor. I also have a Fatip Grande that is quite aggressive but very enjoyable to use. The only negative with the Fatip is its blade alignment, it takes a little effort to properly align the blade. Otherwise it is a very fun razor.

I've got a 2013 R41 and love it. I also have Fendrihan MK. I and MK.II stainless razors. On MY face, the MK. II is about on a par with the R41 in aggressiveness, and the MK. I is far more aggressive. If your R41 is of the 2011 design, the MK. I might be a match for it. If you've got the 2013 version, try the MK. II.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So, I am looking at possibly another stainless steel razor but want one that is similar to the R41 if possible in agressiveness. Does this type of razor exist?

I'll echo the thoughts on a Fatip, but if you really like aggressive, there is a vendor that still has Mk.1 Fatips.

I cant find the link, but @Raven Koenes knows where the stash is. If he hasnt bought them all yet!

I’ve read a few different times that the Blackbird is as efficient as the R41, but smoother. I’ve never tried the R41, but my Blackbird is very efficient.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What is a blackbird? sorry, not familiar with that make?

Blackbird

Blackland Blackbird.jpg

Not sure why you'd choose the Rockwell as even the 6 plate is fairly mild and nothing like your R41 at all. The head was too heavy making the razor too clunky and off balanced for me personally. I know many like it and respect that but it's not one for me. On to some that might work a lot better for you...

Charcoal Goods Lvl3 is said to be on par in terms of aggressiveness. I've seen it recommend to R41 users looking to upgrade to a forever razor.

You could try a Blackland Blackbird or an Above the Tie H series razor as well.

A Wolfman with an aggressive gap would be an excellent choice if you got lucky and grabbed one when they put some up for purchase. Good luck there though.

Something like a Cobra or King Cobra would be a great choice if you''re willing to go to a Feather AC style blade.

If you want the AC blades, an Asylum RX is hard to beat. Yeah, Charcoal Goods level 3, Blackbird especially OC, or .Timeless 0.95. All are awesome. Got a 0.86 Wolfman headed my way next week.

If you want the AC blades, an Asylum RX is hard to beat. Yeah, Charcoal Goods level 3, Blackbird especially OC, or .Timeless 0.95. All are awesome. Got a 0.86 Wolfman headed my way next week.

I had an Asylum RX and while it was definitely an aggressive razor I couldn't get the hang of shaving with it and it tore me up every time I used it. I've been doing this for a while and have shave with many different razors and my technique is solid, but I just couldn't make this one work for me. A shame as the machine quality was exceptional, a really beautiful razor but I eventually had to let it go. Just not one for me.

The ones you recommended are all exceptional razors. Really good suggestions here.

Not sure why you'd choose the Rockwell as even the 6 plate is fairly mild and nothing like your R41 at all. The head was too heavy making the razor too clunky and off balanced for me personally. I know many like it and respect that but it's not one for me. On to some that might work a lot better for you...

Charcoal Goods Lvl3 is said to be on par in terms of aggressiveness. I've seen it recommend to R41 users looking to upgrade to a forever razor.

A Wolfman with an aggressive gap would be an excellent choice if you got lucky and grabbed one when they put some up for purchase. Good luck there though.

Something like a Cobra or King Cobra would be a great choice if you''re willing to go to a Feather AC style blade.

Your experience with the Rockwell is exactly my issue with it. I guess I didn’t research enough before purchasing, I figured that the adjustability would give me enough aggressiveness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1! This about covers it IMO!!

Lots of great advice here. Kudos, gents.

Most of the time, I use the R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, ATT H2, Blackbird open comb, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb and Le Coq cage comb (which is vintage). Unfortunately, only the Blackbird and H2 are readily available, although the Charcoal Goods L3 (my overall favorite) is available if you're willing to go the waitlist route.

The FaTip is another great razor, and inexpensive. I like the piccolo myself, and the one I use is about five years old--as I understand it, they were a bit more aggressive back then.

If you're wiling to wait, I heartily recommend the Charcoal Goods L3 open comb in antique brass, as it's both an amazing shave and the prettiest razor in my den (although my Wolfman WR1 open comb .74mm is also a beauty, but doesn't shave my face as well). It's not cheap, but if it works for you, and you can avoid RAD, you won't need another razor in your life.

P.S. If you are willing to look beyond DEs, I'm in the Asylum RX camp. It's my favorite SE razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have bought and sold more razors than I can count and including Stainless. Nothing beats the R41 for me. The FaTips are good but I never found a handle that worked. The Maggard V3A is also a good choice but not SS.

The Blackbird is a beautiful piece of kit. I am really enjoying my Blackbird SB (not open comb) and I don't equate it with aggressiveness, just efficiency. For whatever reason it gives me a very close shave but no cuts or nicks. Blackland does rate the OC as more highly aggressive. This is from their website:
Design
Aggressiveness: Safety Bar - 7. Open Comb - 7.5
Blade gap: 0.58mm

Based on your expressed criteria, if you do look at a Blackbird, you should look seriously at the open comb.

The blackbird is absolutely gorgeous! I saw it this weekend at big shave east. As good as it may look in pictures, it's something else in person. If I were looking for another razor right now, this is the one I would get.

The blackbird is absolutely gorgeous! I saw it this weekend at big shave east. As good as it may look in pictures, it's something else in person. If I were looking for another razor right now, this is the one I would get.
If I remember my music lyrics correctly, Jim Morrison once sang: "This the end, beautiful friend, this is the end". I'd say that this is the beginning of the end for you, my friend. As they say, resistance is futile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom