What's new

Looking at getting my nephew a kit

I would like your opinion about a relatively inexpensive DE kit. I am a huge fan of Stirling, so I was looking at Stirling razors for an initial kit for my nephew. I am hesitant, however, about reviews that stated the razor is more aggressive. The soaps are absolutely amazing. Any opinions on their razors?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From what little I've read and seen of them, they appear to be a clone of the EJ type head as are so many.

I've read also that the Stirling brushes are a very good value, but some may hang on to the soap a bit.

As far as a beginners razor goes, I believe this to be the best buy in shaving although I understand the head encloses the blade tabs: RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Why not a mild tech clone or a Feather Popular?
Techs make good starter razors if they are mild, & the Popular is one of the most underrated razors IMO.
Also, if it doesn't work out for him, you're not out much.
The rest of the kit is usable with or without a DE.

I don't recall any reviews of Stirling razors. You might consider a starter kit from Maggard's; they get a lot of respect here. Kits come complete, and all are reasonably priced. Italian Barber also has starter kits.

Last edited:
Or try pick up an old Gillette Tech from an antique market ... very mild but still does a great job.

West Coast Shaving has a pretty good selection of stuff

I got my 18 year old son a Merkur C20 and he loves it. The only think with then is it is slippery if your left handed due to the knurling direction of the metal Handle. It is definitely a metal Handle some websites say plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read some reviews of the Stirling slant razor. At least their slant razor got really bad reviews. There are plenty of flaws in them.

My recommendation is to buy something else. I agree with the comment above that a Tech (clone or real) would be a great razor. I have had success in converting a couple with the dirt cheap RiMei, which is a Tech clone.

With an old tech your nephew might get a kick out of something that his grandfather may have used. Grand dad might think it's nuts tho. [emoji854][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend buying a pieced together kit to match your experiences and what you think he might like. A Merkur 23c is a great starting razor, and doesn't cost much. Starting him out with an Omega boar brush would give him the experience of Badger without the higher cost for quality. Throw in a salsa bowl from Walmart and a quality soap (which will make or break the experience as we all know), and you are all set (no pun intended ;))

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Thanks for the responses. I will have to look at the tech clones. I love the Merkur razors, so that's another option. I didn't realize the Stirling razors were EJ clones. I have a Maggard V3 razor that is excellent, but rarely gets used. I might just package it up with some Stirling samples and blades that I already own, plus a Semogue or Omega brush. That would make use of what I have and give him a decent razor to start out his DE shaving.

You may also want to consider a vintage Gillette Super Speed. They're very affordable, and it's usually pretty easy to find one with all the nickel plating intact. I think they're just right for beginners - they're not too aggressive, nor too mild, and being TTO (twist to open), they're easy to operate.

Merkur 34c ($40)
Omega Synthetic Brush ($20)
Proraso Green Cream - Tube ($10)
West Coast Shaving - Shaving Bowl ($10)
Proraso Green After Shave ($15)

(all available at WestCoastShaving.com)

I'm getting my 14 year old started on shaving. I started him off with a Mach 3 to simply get used to the concept of shaving. Once he is comfortable with that I'm giving him a vintage Gillette Tech for exactly the reasons others have mentioned. It is fairly forgiving yet can produce a nice close and comfortable shave. As for the rest of the stuff:

Razor: Mach 3 and then a Gillette Tech ($8 for the Mach 3 and the Tech is free because I already have one for him)
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Bruce handle ($10)
Lather Bowl: Origins Molcajete Salsa Bowl (comes in sets of two so I get one for myself :001_rolle) ($5)
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond (his choice of scent) ($17)
Aftershave: Thayers Aloe Vera Lemon witch hazel ($7.50)

I'll let him try my aftershave splashes so he can see what scents he likes best. I'll also get him a block of Osma alum.

For the bowl, head over to the local Family Dollar, they have a wonderful stoneware bowl that's nice and heavy (thick) that works really well. The added mass would help it keep warmth during the winter months, for a nice warm lather through the shave. Best part is they go for $1.00, and come in a couple of different colors. If my wife wouldn't take a fit, as I have three bowls and a scuttle already, I'd have grabbed one and a spare or two the other day.

The Tech is a good idea, he'll have light fuzzy growth and it teach him to keep the angle. Other options, if you want something less expensive, but that works really well are the QShave/MingShi Clones....yes, I'm condoning an adjustable for a newbie, but he could keep in at the lowest setting, and learn to shave without injuring himself. They're a fantastic shave for the money at around $6-$7, and he can raise the setting has his face fills in.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.

Thanks for the responses. I will have to look at the tech clones. I love the Merkur razors, so that's another option. I didn't realize the Stirling razors were EJ clones. I have a Maggard V3 razor that is excellent, but rarely gets used. I might just package it up with some Stirling samples and blades that I already own, plus a Semogue or Omega brush. That would make use of what I have and give him a decent razor to start out his DE shaving.

+1 this. Normally I'd recommend a blade sampler, but it sounds like you can put a nice variety together by yourself. I recommend the Omega Pro 49 boar brush ($11). Along with the soap samples, maybe an inexpensive soap or cream (Williams, Arko, Proraso, etc.) for longer term use.

You know, it struck me this morning that I was using a pretty good beginner's kit:
RazoRock Classic at $4.99
RazoRock DE1 razor at $6.99
RazoRock Plissoft barber handle brush at $12.99
Pinaud Clubman ('cause I miss my Dad) $6, Amazon Prime

Not a bad setup, and he'll smell like an old coot when he's done.

I ended up with a kit from WCS, since they have free shipping for orders over $20 and some great sales right now. They are drop shipping a 78S razor, WCS synthetic brush (I prefer boar but couldn't beat the price), and a tin of WCS citrus basil. I also added a tub of TOBS sandalwood, as it is easy to lather and smells great. I couldn't beat the price as the kit is currently on sale for $30.

Thanks, everyone, for great suggestions. You all really helped me narrow down the options.

Oh, and I plan to send him a variety of blades. WCS is sending a tuck of Astra blades with the kit.

For a razor how about the Rockwell 6C set. That way he can start off with a mild razor and adjust to more aggressive if he chooses as he gains experience. 6 degrees of aggressiveness for about $50 seems like a good deal to me.

For a razor how about the Rockwell 6C set. That way he can start off with a mild razor and adjust to more aggressive if he chooses as he gains experience. 6 degrees of aggressiveness for about $50 seems like a good deal to me.
Unfortunately a $50 razor is more than I could spend on the full kit. I sure like the idea of a Rockwell 6S, instead of 6C,for myself one day.

Top Bottom