What's new

Looking at Flat Caps

I'm looking to get a new hat. I'm looking at a flat cap.

I am seeing several styles:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone wear a flat cap? I really don't care for the 8 panel "Newsboy" style and I think I like the last one.

What are the traditional style? and things I should know be for purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone wear a flat cap? I really don't care for the 8 panel "Newsboy" style and I think I like the last one.

I'm a 8 panel newsboy man myself. I have several, but have found the Harris Tweed ones far superior. Well worth the extra money.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I’m partial to 8 panel newsboy caps.
they come in various widths.
Duck bill caps aren’t my thing!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Here’s my modest collection:

7CA4E3D8-DDEF-462D-BBB4-5F3468DAB2DB.jpeg

Sterkowski Gecko in linen

1DA9C2B6-B5C7-4061-B90B-68269A013930.jpeg

Biddy Murphy in herringbone tweed
Flat Cap for Men Made in Ireland Irish Hat Flat Cap Fuller Fit 100% Irish Wool Made by John Hanly & Co. - https://www.biddymurphy.com/collections/caps-hats/products/irish-tweed-cap-old-school-design-made-in-co-tipperary-ireland-rounded-brim-single-seam-sits-lower-on-head

9BCA0412-20E6-43D0-BEF1-C2EED504AA24.jpeg

Maggee in Donegal tweed

There's lots of good flat caps out there. Hit up the After Christmas sales. Check Ebay and Poshmark. Thrift stores too. There's deals to be had. One cool thing about tweed is that it looks better with age, so even a used beater can look pretty great.

This LL Bean Scottish rain cap has been my go-to cold and wet weather hat for at least 10 years now. Harris Tweed wool with a Gore-Tex layer makes it perfect for nasty conditions. It's not showing much wear at all, and it gets a ton of use. I'm not sure if LL Bean still has it in their catalog.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
This LL Bean Scottish rain cap has been my go-to cold and wet weather hat for at least 10 years now. Harris Tweed wool with a Gore-Tex layer makes it perfect for nasty conditions. It's not showing much wear at all, and it gets a ton of use. I'm not sure if LL Bean still has it in their catalog.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We could devote an entire thread and much digital ink to the degradation of LL Bean's catalog over the years. But suffice to say that sadly, no, I don't see flat caps - or any other Harris Tweed items - currently available. Fortunately there are plenty of other sources for caps of Harris and other types of tweed.

Harris Tweed is hearty stuff. After all, tweed was originally made to keep sportsmen warm and dry in the perpetually cold and wet Scottish Highlands and isles, especially the Outer Hebrides where Harris Tweed is spun. Like with leather goods, tweed looks and fits better as it ages and wears in and even stretches to form to your body. Your hat looks fabulous. I can only hope mine break in as nicely.

We could devote an entire thread and much digital ink to the degradation of LL Bean's catalog over the years. But suffice to say that sadly, no, I don't see flat caps - or any other Harris Tweed items - currently available. Fortunately there are plenty of other sources for caps of Harris and other types of tweed.

Harris Tweed is hearty stuff. After all, tweed was originally made to keep sportsmen warm and dry in the perpetually cold and wet Scottish Highlands and isles, especially the Outer Hebrides where Harris Tweed is spun. Like with leather goods, tweed looks and fits better as it ages and wears in and even stretches to form to your body. Your hat looks fabulous. I can only hope mine break in as nicely.

Thanks-you're correct about their catalog. I still buy my dress shirts, flannel shirts, and jeans from them. I've got a 23 year old Bean field coat, 35 year old Bean Boots, and a 10 yr old waxed cotton upland hunting coat from them that are all bulletproof.

Top Bottom