What's new

Looking ahead to winter - coat advice

I mentioned in another thread a recent job change involving a commute. Drive to a parking garage, 10 - 15 minute bus ride followed by a 15 minute or so walk in Virginia. Now seems an appropriate time to think ahead to fall and winter weather. I walk and ride in rain as well as light snow. Tend to be on the warm side meaning don't get cold easily. Asking for thoughts on a good coat from those who have similar type commutes...

For those type of conditions here, i go with a Goretex or similar so called breathable/waterproof fabric jacket with enough room i can wear a fleece jacket under it if i need some added warmth. I wear the same shell year 'round, when i need rain protection.

dave

Last edited:
The office is business to business casual. No suits, but occasional requirement for a tie. Otherwise dress pants and dress shirts.

My 2 weeks of Summer haven't even got here yet. Can't help you. LOL

But seriously, a pea coat is pretty timeless and inline with your work attire.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Drive to a parking garage, 10 - 15 minute bus ride followed by a 15 minute or so walk in Virginia.

fall and winter weather. I walk and ride in rain as well as light snow. Tend to be on the warm side meaning don't get cold easily.

The office is business to business casual. No suits, but occasional requirement for a tie. Otherwise dress pants and dress shirts.

My suggestion would be a trench coat.

I suggest you get something that reaches down to the knees and beyond (hence not a pea coat &c) as that will keep your legs warm ... and more importantly, dry ... in rain and snow.

Many modern trench coats come with a removable liner that can help you transition between cool and cold weather, and customise the coat for the amount of insulation you need, or don't need.

IMHO, go for a classic-look trench coat (although you don't have to pay the $$$$ to get Burberry or such ... London Fog makes a decent alternative under $200, and other "anglophile" brands such as Ralph Lauren make good trench coats too. Just avoid the flashy, fashion brand "essence of trench coat reinterpreted for the 21st century" nonsense.

My suggestion would be a trench coat.

I suggest you get something that reaches down to the knees and beyond (hence not a pea coat &c) as that will keep your legs warm ... and more importantly, dry ... in rain and snow.

Many modern trench coats come with a removable liner that can help you transition between cool and cold weather, and customise the coat for the amount of insulation you need, or don't need.

IMHO, go for a classic-look trench coat (although you don't have to pay the $$$$ to get Burberry or such ... London Fog makes a decent alternative under $200, and other "anglophile" brands such as Ralph Lauren make good trench coats too. Just avoid the flashy, fashion brand "essence of trench coat reinterpreted for the 21st century" nonsense.

I had forgotten about the tried and true trench coat truly. I had a London Fog in the early 80's when still made in the USA. Versatile. Truth be told, I also had a heavy wool London Fog overcoat for those cold biting days on the Potomac.

You would pick a trench coat rather than a wool overcoat?

I understand the desire to look stylish, but your morning commute sounds like you need an all purpose coat that can protect in many kinds of weather. Personally I recommend something that is GoreTex and warm. There is nothing worse than being under-dressed for the weather.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had forgotten about the tried and true trench coat truly. I had a London Fog in the early 80's when still made in the USA. Versatile. Truth be told, I also had a heavy wool London Fog overcoat for those cold biting days on the Potomac.

You would pick a trench coat rather than a wool overcoat?

I have both, but then again my winters get down to -20 on a regular basis and almost certain to see a week of -30 in there somewhere.

If you can go with two coats, get both, and get the trench unlined (so you always have interior pockets ... the one downside of taking out the lining of a convertible coat is you almost certainly lose the interior pockets.)

But the trench is going to well outperform the wool in the rain, rather than the snow, especially if you spray on some weatherproofing. So if heavy arctic chills are not the norm for your winter, the convertible trench is probably the better "one coat" option.

I like Barbour... they're NOT too good for very cold weather without a liner. For 10-15 degrees they're ok.
If you lucky enough you might find something at SierraTradingPost fro 1/2 price - i mean, really lucky!
proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We don't get as cold here and I only walk a short distants from my car, so a pea coat is winter jacket of choice.
If I was to walk for longer periods, I with be tempted with trench coat.

Now this is maybe very unfair but GoreTex makes me think of hunting gear.
The material is great and can take a bit of punisment.
I know there are more dress styles using this fabric so if you find a style you like using gore tex you may be onto a winner.

Swazi, gore tex wapiti jacket. Just what you need for your morning commute. I jest :)

RWC-Wapiti-Coat-Tussock-Green.png

If you're having to walk in wind, rain and snow a hooded coat is invaluable. Not all are created equal, make sure it's adjustable and attached. Those that are detachable end up being in the closet at home when you need them.

dave

I love my hooded down parka. It's a wool shell, so it's pretty dressy imo. Rain, snow, and wind...you won't feel any of it.
proxy.php

Otherwise I'll be using this guy for most of the coming winter.
proxy.php

I'm leaning toward the trench coat, or perhaps the rain coat which is the updated 60's style sans belt etc. London Fog has some nice offerings. I'll have to drive a few hours to reach a Macy's or the like but it will probably be worth the trip.

Top Bottom