What's new

Looked at threads, but any current recommendations for knots

I looked through the forums and found a couple recommendations for knots; AP Shave knots and Cashmere knots. Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to see if there are any updates on knot recommendations. I have been encouraged to turn a brush handle (thank you to a B&B member) for my oldest son's girlfriend. I can't find a decent, yet low cost, orange brush in synthetic, so here I am. I already have the resin from woodworking, so all I need is a knot and orange coloring. I've turned wood bowls and pens, so now is the time to learn about turning shaving brushes in acrylic (first time using a resin instead of wood).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I looked through the forums and found a couple recommendations for knots; AP Shave knots and Cashmere knots. Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to see if there are any updates on knot recommendations. I have been encouraged to turn a brush handle (thank you to a B&B member) for my oldest son's girlfriend. I can't find a decent, yet low cost, orange brush in synthetic, so here I am. I already have the resin from woodworking, so all I need is a knot and orange coloring. I've turned wood bowls and pens, so now is the time to learn about turning shaving brushes in acrylic (first time using a resin instead of wood).
Wow! Impressed my friend!
One of these days I WILL turn something on a lathe!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have long been impressed by you, my friend. You welcome folks into your world with class and enthusiasm.

Oh, and I should add that I am looking to use 26mm knots if possible.
You are too kind! I am 90% certain that Steve put a 26mm knot in the "Smile" that he made for me. It's my favorite size knot, and I am 90% certain that he got it from Maggard's, LOL!

You could check with Rudy Vey, I just had a 26mm Muhle STF put in my Graydog handle I got on the auction, it is the only synthetic I own I have sold all the others and as far as I know Rudy Vey is the only place you can get just the knot.

Doug

What knot characteristics are you looking for? Is there a budget?
Great question. Budget is always limited, though not the primary concern. I would rather buy multiple knots for a better price per knot than one at a higher price per knot. I figure I should be able find something decent for $20, but I am willing to spend more if I am wrong.

As far as characteristics, it is not for me, but for my oldest boy's girlfriend, who has never used a brush or DE razor (I will be getting her both, as well as a good shave soap). My wife uses a Simpson Kong brush and really likes it, so something similar or better quality would be great. I started off my wife and daughter with cheaper synthetic brushes, but I have learned a thing or two since then.

That is a really great gesture to take on for her... Have you checked Etsy for an orange handle? I browsed through some listings and can find a few with orange in the handle but usually mixed with other colors like yellow, green, pink, red, blue, or maybe some other colors... As for knots I wouldn't hesitate to check out TurnNShave for the knot selection. I have and use a 25mm Angelhair knot of Miltons, ($12), and think most women would love it as it is an awesome knot!! Really soft tips and splays beautifully. Its the 1st one in my pic below.

Brushes1.jpg

That is a really great gesture to take on for her... Have you checked Etsy for an orange handle? I browsed through some listings and can find a few with orange in the handle but usually mixed with other colors like yellow, green, pink, red, blue, or maybe some other colors... As for knots I wouldn't hesitate to check out TurnNShave for the knot selection. I have and use a 25mm Angelhair knot of Miltons and think most women would love it as it is an awesome knot!! Really soft tips and splays beautifully. Its the 1st one in my pic below.

View attachment 1368090
I looked on Etsy, but to be honest they are more than what I want to spend. I have thought about turning one out of wood for a while and I have resin on hand. I will check out the knots on Miltons.

I have picked up razors, soap, and brushes for my other kids girlfriends and boyfriends, as well as nephews. It is surprising how anxious they have been to give it a try.

The G5 knot are the best on the market, but those are anywhere from $27-$37 for a single knot.

For 20 or less I'd say a TurnNShave Quartermoon or Timberwolf. Good all arounders that are quite versatile.

Or an AP shave SynBad or 2Bed of she wants super soft with less scrub.

Roswell Grey from PAA is another incredible option.

Here is an orange handle Yaqi with a tuxedo synthetic knot on sale from WCS for $10. The tuxedo is a soft knot, that’s not too stiff or scrubby and many people like it.

That is hard to beat. I will still turn a brush, but that one is already in the cart. Now I will have to find a decent badger knot, since I will probably keep the first brush I turn.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The G5 knot are the best on the market, but those are anywhere from $27-$37 for a single knot.

For 20 or less I'd say a TurnNShave Quartermoon or Timberwolf. Good all arounders that are quite versatile.

Or an AP shave SynBad or 2Bed of she wants super soft with less scrub.

Roswell Grey from PAA is another incredible option.

I have my share of brushes, but generally, they all work fairly well. I'm partial to the Semogue Pharos brushes. I like their backbone and their flexibility. But recently, I purchased a brush from AP Shave Co. with their G5A knot. It's the only brush I have that wows me. It's a synthetic fiber from Germany from what I understand, but to look at it and use it, especially when it gets wet...it looks and reacts just like a badger-hair brush. It's just amazing to me.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Good morning my friend 😊
Milton from Turn -n - Shave has a very nice selection of fine knot's ( most of the time , I have not checked recently)
He is a pleasure to deal with.
If it's a Badger knot I was looking for I would go to Maggard, they have 2 different priced knots . The SHD knot they offer is more dense and is a very nice option. The standard 2 band badger that they sell is very nice and one of my favorites. And 1/2 the cost of the SHD.
Can't wait to see your creative skills at work. Lord bless you Brother 😊

Top Bottom