What's new

Look, where is it really made?

So I order Replitech razor. The Gillette Tech is my go to razor, so when I hear about a replica “Engineered” in Canada, with a stainless steel gold plated head with a 1965 model head plated in Rose Gold, I jumped at it. They were coming with Shaverboy blades, with a retro-looking package. A few years ago I bought a Viking Godfather razor from an Australian Company said to be made with “Swedish” steel.

Well, now I find out that the Replitech razor has a Baili 123 head on it. It is made in China, The Godfather razor was also made by Bali, in China. They Simply relabeled it and charged three times as much. In. A feel days I dropped the Godfather on the floor and the threading of the handle broke. I could have purchased a baili razor for 8 dollars and put one of my Tech handles on it. Without paying 50 dollars for a tin and a bag. Several reviews have been made by Youutube on the Shaverboy Blades from “A company in Canada”. It ends up these are made in China also. I have nothing against Baili, they actually make some decent products, but don’t rebrand it and hype it to be something else.

Anytime I see phrases like "designed in" or "engineered in" that is an automatic red flag. It almost always is a weaselly way to say "made in China".

You can usually find vintage Techs still in good shape. They are hard to beat. Pre-1960 or so, most of them are solid brass and will last ages with a little care. I've bought several vintage Techs at prices from $7 to $20, depending on condition, etc. They shave just as well as ever.

My razor used for travel, camping, etc. is a Tech with a bakelite handle. It's very light, inexpensive and around 70 years old. I'd say it's better than the new ones.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Let the buyer beware. Read the "small print," and take all the words literally. "Engineered in" does not mean "made in."

Consider the money lost in your experience to be a tuition payment in the school of life. You'll be smarter next time, yes?
I myself have paid the idiot tax on several purchases.

Separating me from my cash is hard, now that I'm getting to be on the bottom of the other side of the hill! So I suppose I should be happy I'm still solvent!

Welcome to B&B and sorry to hear about your purchase.
I own a Baili Rose Gold and if cared for they are not bad shavers and look great.
But as you say, I also hate when something is just restamped or resold as something else. It shouldn't be allowed. But what can you do?

You gotta independently research everything nowadays. I stopped buying from eBay and Amazon after a few counterfeit purchases; no money lost but the frustration and time lost was enough.
True story. Don't buy a new high-end name brand product from Amazon or eBay, especially if said product is supposed to be produced in the Europe, Australia, or the US. Amazon isn't evil itself, and doesn't intend to sell counterfeit goods... it just has a vendor system that allows you or I to sell there. It's an easy place to anonymously sell counterfeit goods. Funny story about that, I am a police investigator. I investigated a multi-thousamd credit card scheme one time. I identified approximately $30,000 in credit card fraud over a few days by a group traveling up the east coast. They were stopping at every Walmart on I95 and buying the store out of iPads. I was able to get the serial numbers from Walmart as it was recorded on the receipt at the sale, and the store retains receipt records. I did a search warrant to Apple for owner information, contacted the owners, and they had all purchased them through one Amazon vendor! I, and every new iPad owner I spoke to, was shocked! So... long story short, Amazon and eBay are havens for counterfeit or dubiously sourced goods. I have nothing against either company, and I buy from both. I buy consumables or refurbished electronics from Amazon and vintage/used items from ebay.

As for China, I just assume anything that doesn't have a country of origin clearly and conspicuously marked is probably from China. Unless it's shoes or clothing, then I assume it's from Vietnam or another southeast Asian country. "Made in China" isnt always vastly inferior quality anymore. Chinese knives have come a very long way. As evidenced by Gold Dollar razors being quite good once tweaked. Finding a non-chinese made rifle scope for under $1000 is quite the challenge. Look at how popular vortex is, and they are China made. I'm not in love with Chinese goods, mostly because of my disdain for their government and leaders, but I also cede its difficult to live and not buy goods sourced from China. I by brands produced in other nations when I can, and accept Chinese made when I must.

Parker razors are pretty decent and made in India. Just saying.

A few years ago I bought a Viking Godfather razor from an Australian Company said to be made with “Swedish” steel.
I found out that "Japanese" steel or "German" steel etc. refers to the type of steel/way it's made; not where it's made. You could buy a vegetable peeler made with German steel that had all components fully produced in China. Not a single part from Germany.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just a heads up...
French Fries don't come from France and Russian Dressing doesn't come from Russia.

There is a Country Of Origin Labeling law in the US, but many manufacturers do not follow the law and ensure that their products comply.
There are some items that are exempted, so be aware of that.
If you come across an item that is supposed to be, but is not clearly marked as to C.O.O., just don't buy it.
Force manufacturers to make their suppliers comply.

True story. Don't buy a new high-end name brand product from Amazon or eBay, especially if said product is supposed to be produced in the Europe, Australia, or the US. Amazon isn't evil itself, and doesn't intend to sell counterfeit goods... it just has a vendor system that allows you or I to sell there. It's an easy place to anonymously sell counterfeit goods. Funny story about that, I am a police investigator. I investigated a multi-thousamd credit card scheme one time. I identified approximately $30,000 in credit card fraud over a few days by a group traveling up the east coast. They were stopping at every Walmart on I95 and buying the store out of iPads. I was able to get the serial numbers from Walmart as it was recorded on the receipt at the sale, and the store retains receipt records. I did a search warrant to Apple for owner information, contacted the owners, and they had all purchased them through one Amazon vendor! I, and every new iPad owner I spoke to, was shocked! So... long story short, Amazon and eBay are havens for counterfeit or dubiously sourced goods. I have nothing against either company, and I buy from both. I buy consumables or refurbished electronics from Amazon and vintage/used items from ebay.

As for China, I just assume anything that doesn't have a country of origin clearly and conspicuously marked is probably from China. Unless it's shoes or clothing, then I assume it's from Vietnam or another southeast Asian country. "Made in China" isnt always vastly inferior quality anymore. Chinese knives have come a very long way. As evidenced by Gold Dollar razors being quite good once tweaked. Finding a non-chinese made rifle scope for under $1000 is quite the challenge. Look at how popular vortex is, and they are China made. I'm not in love with Chinese goods, mostly because of my disdain for their government and leaders, but I also cede its difficult to live and not buy goods sourced from China. I by brands produced in other nations when I can, and accept Chinese made when I must.

Parker razors are pretty decent and made in India. Just saying.
Going off on a short tangent here. The owner of Spyderco, (maker of knives & sharpeners,) Sal Glesser, has said that Chinese companies will produce knives for your company and mark them with whatever steel you want marked on the blade. He's said nor is there any shame for companies in China getting caught infringing on a trade-mark or patent. Over there people are looked up to by how much money their company makes. The end justifies the means.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have seen with my own eyes, counterfeit rice, counterfeit eggs and counterfeit lunch meat.
How could anyone make a profit on this one might ask?
If it costs pennies to make, and you sell it for four to 10 times what it cost to make, that's a huge profit.

Top Bottom