What's new

Look What I Found Tucked Into A Case! (Hint: It isn't a Declaration of Independence)

Hello, Gentlemembers:

Last week, I won a ratty, worn and incomplete 1920 Standard Combination Set on eBay for cheap. I bought the case because I noticed that there was an original mirror hiding in the case that the seller didn't mention in the listing, nor did they probably know it was in there. I had been looking for a mirror to complete a similar set, so this listing was an exciting find for me! The mirror turned out to be in great condition, but there was another surprise hiding in the pocket that held the mirror that made my day!

Here is the seller's picture from eBay that shows the peeking mirror:

$$_60.jpg

When I receive the set, I immediately ravaged through the packaging to get to the mirror and inspect it.

$Case Mirror Peek.jpg

After I removed the mirror from the case, for some reason I felt the urge to look inside of the pocket. Much to my surprise, I noticed a small, folded piece of paper tucked into the pocket. In the moment of seeing the extra item, my imagination went into overdrive. Was it a $1,000 bill? Was it a treasure map?

$Mirror1.jpg

The piece of paper is the original sales receipt from February 19, 1921 which shows the purchase price ($5.00) and the place of purchase (Aloe's / St. Louis, MO). The document is in perfect condition, and probably lived in the case undetected for nearly 100 years. It isn't as grand as my imagination had hoped, but it is a piece that I am happy to add to my collection.

$Instructions.jpg

I have spent a large part of the day imagining what the world would have been like when this set was sold back in 1921.

Have you checked inside of your cases lately?

I found something similar in one of my Rolls Razors. It's pretty neat to have a documented piece of history like that.

Very interesting since $4.50 was quite a bit of money back in the day. According to one online inflation calculator it is roughly the equivalent of $54.00 today.

Very cool find! Congrats!

WOW! That's totally cool!!!! I think that's just awesome, an extra special piece now with that little document.

Top Bottom