What's new

Look what I found in my modern apartment

So I have been living here a year and never opened my medicine cabinet because it is right by the sink at a right angle. Today I was opened it up on a whim and lo and behold a razor bank. I know my apartment has been renovated, but, it can't be that old. Do you think someone cut it?
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The architect was a Badger and Blade acolyte. And his putting in these old timey blade banks was the equivalent of Van Halen's "no brown M&M candies in the bowl" strategy of insuring the construction guys were reading the specs.

Brother tehnothing,

Interesting. But I'm not a fan of blade banks in the walls of medicine cabinets, or wherever. Someday the building will be remodeled or demolished, and there with be a hazardous mess of old rusty razor blades for someone to contend with. That's not fair to our future generations.

My favorite blade bank is an empty pill container with a screws on lid. When full it goes to the landfill.

So simple. So efficient. So safe.

A Twinings loose leaf tea container works well. Make a slot in the lid and tape the lid on securely. Fits neatly in the medicine cabinet.

There's one in the medicine cabinet in my apartment, but it was built in 1950.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's unbelievable!
You've lived in your apartment for a year and never opened your medicine cabinet?
ps. Looks like a standard blade slot to me.
Nothing unusual. They were a common feature of most any medicine cabinet until rather recently.

As I have commented on before, the medicine cabinet in my parent's first home had a blade slot. My dad used for nearly 30 years. Urban Renewal bought their home in 1966. We went back a few days later only to find the house's interior gutted by metal scavengers. However, the bathroom floor was covered in dad's old blades and fresh blood stains. The scavenger(s)' apparently got their cut's trying to get the metal pipes out of the wall. One forum member replied 'The house got its revenge'.

Brother tehnothing,

Interesting. But I'm not a fan of blade banks in the walls of medicine cabinets, or wherever. Someday the building will be remodeled or demolished, and there with be a hazardous mess of old rusty razor blades for someone to contend with. That's not fair to our future generations.

My favorite blade bank is an empty pill container with a screws on lid. When full it goes to the landfill.

So simple. So efficient. So safe.
Rusty razor blades sure beat Asbestos

So I have been living here a year and never opened my medicine cabinet because it is right by the sink at a right angle. Today I was opened it up on a whim and lo and behold a razor bank. I know my apartment has been renovated, but, it can't be that old. Do you think someone cut it?
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sir tehnothing, is there any make/model info on your cabinet?

Brother tehnothing,

I don't think people back then thought that far ahead, really. It more or less explodes the myth that people in the past were particularly conscientious.

To my knowledge, my apartment duplex I'm in doesn't have a blade slot, despite being built in the early 70's, despite the fact most of the stuff in here's never been remodeled. I think this was done in houses only.

I don't think people back then thought that far ahead, really. It more or less explodes the myth that people in the past were particularly conscientious.

To my knowledge, my apartment duplex I'm in doesn't have a blade slot, despite being built in the early 70's, despite the fact most of the stuff in here's never been remodeled. I think this was done in houses only.
FireDragon, I think you probably are correct. And that lack of foresight is alarming. I have the impression slots for used blade in medicine cabinets are no longer done, possibly for the concerns I cited.

FireDragon, I think you probably are correct. And that lack of foresight is alarming. I have the impression slots for used blade in medicine cabinets are no longer done, possibly for the concerns I cited.

More than likely its due to the fact most people use cartridges or disposables now days. Many people can't even recognize what a double edge razor is.

Top Bottom