What's new

Look at What I Got!

Congrats on a good looking shaver 😊
Beware of alignment issues, I saw one guy on fb posting pics of his new flexi and showing some serious issues.
Another guy, or maybe it was the same guy (?), showed pics on how the head was tilted at one side.
I wanted to order one until I saw these posts on fb.
Not sure about Pearls QC

I saw that too and thought It to highly suspect to place a razor on a table and test for tilting . It also struck me that members of RE are in the same forum.

I saw that too and thought It to highly suspect to place a razor on a table and test for tilting . It also struck me that members of RE are in the same forum.

+1. I am always cautious about overly negative and overly positive reviews of new razors. Over the last decade, I’ve learned to trust a select few video reviewers. Same with posts. Not paranoid but you have to consider that there are people with agendas unfortunately.

+1. I am always cautious about overly negative and overly positive reviews of new razors. Over the last decade, I’ve learned to trust a select few video reviewers. Same with posts. Not paranoid but you have to consider that there are people with agendas unfortunately.
Of course there are ppl with agendas, but why pay that much money just to bash a razor?
And the tilting? Yes it did seem a little suspicious to have the razor standing on the table.

On another thread, there is discussion about some reviewers having blade gap issues after initial settings (Past setting 3) with the Flexi. I offered this advice regarding what I did with two razors I own which had the same issue when I bought them new. The gaps ended up being perfect after the springs were broken in. If you get a Flexi razor and you observe the same, see my simple spring break in below. No tools, just an easy way to break in that new spring.

“My best advice to anyone that has that issue with this new razor is to open up the gap all the way to 6 without a blade inserted. Affix the cap. Put both of your thumbs on the sides/ends of the baseplate and push the baseplate up all the way up to where the gap is closed and let it fall down. Work it up and down at a fast pace for up to about 5 minutes or so and this will solve the issue.

As I mentioned previously, I had the same thing happen with one of my Variants and a VB Emperor. The gap was perfectly straight on all settings for both razors after those springs were broken in. I think an easy fix for Pearl would be to break in these springs while the razors are being packaged.”

On another thread, there is discussion about some reviewers having blade gap issues after initial settings (Past setting 3) with the Flexi. I offered this advice regarding what I did with two razors I own which had the same issue when I bought them new. The gaps ended up being perfect after the springs were broken in. If you get a Flexi razor and you observe the same, see my simple spring break in below. No tools, just an easy way to break in that new spring.

“My best advice to anyone that has that issue with this new razor is to open up the gap all the way to 6 without a blade inserted. Affix the cap. Put both of your thumbs on the sides/ends of the baseplate and push the baseplate up all the way up to where the gap is closed and let it fall down. Work it up and down at a fast pace for up to about 5 minutes or so and this will solve the issue.

As I mentioned previously, I had the same thing happen with one of my Variants and a VB Emperor. The gap was perfectly straight on all settings for both razors after those springs were broken in. I think an easy fix for Pearl would be to break in these springs while the razors are being packaged.”

You sir are amazing. I have a Rex Ambassador N series pre-booked in the early days of its release on another forum. My copy came canted and with uneven blade aggression on both sides. I had it sent back to RE, sat with them for 3 months and then returned "repaired" - however it was not the case. Since then its been lying in a drawer.

Today seeing your post, I took it out and carefully evaluated the razor on its fully open position and indeed appears that the spring is causing the canting and seems the base plate causes the issue and possibly can be corrected by jogging the spring.

I am doing so today and hope that damn 50 cents spring behaves and brings back the $$$ Rex Ambassador to life !

You sir are amazing. I have a Rex Ambassador N series pre-booked in the early days of its release on another forum. My copy came canted and with uneven blade aggression on both sides. I had it sent back to RE, sat with them for 3 months and then returned "repaired" - however it was not the case. Since then its been lying in a drawer.

Today seeing your post, I took it out and carefully evaluated the razor on its fully open position and indeed appears that the spring is causing the canting and seems the base plate causes the issue and possibly can be corrected by jogging the spring.

I am doing so today and hope that damn 50 cents spring behaves and brings back the $$$ Rex Ambassador to life !

I didn’t have that issue with my Rex but had plenty of others. I’m sure your Rex would be fine if you worked that spring. No disrespect to the person that took the time to create their disassembly video but of course you can move parts back and forth on disassembled razors, nothing is secured tight. Never tried taking apart my Rex and I don’t own a Flexi yet but I remember the Rex parts pictures showed it to be very similar to the Gibbs. It is cavernous inside my Gibbs and I can move parts back and forth also when I disassemble it. When the handle is secure, there is no such movement.

Not a fan of my Rex but neither the Rex or this new copy have gap alignment issues in my opinion. The springs just need a break in. If I’m wrong, I’ll own it but I think both razors are fine. I will add that RE went through spring changes early on before my N series. Not sure if this is the reason but who knows. I’d try breaking in that spring before losing sleep on either razor.

That's more or less what I did with my N series Rex when I got it and it worked for me. I think you nailed it.
l2Sqir5ZxfoS27EvS.gif

That's more or less what I did with my N series Rex when I got it and it worked for me. I think you nailed it.
View attachment 1186084

I try to keep an open mind even though one of my faults is being pretty stubborn at times but when Kevy described the misalignment after setting 3 and it going back to normal after setting 5 and into 6, I knew it was the spring as I have seen the same thing with my two other razors. That tight spring is just favoring one side currently, just need to work it a bit to even it out.

More like a design defect. Every razor they make should exhibit the same problem.
Yes, I'm struggling a bit with the translation. Design defect is more correct.
What I find a little strange is that the customer has to figure out the problem with the product they are buying. It is quite obvious that the company is aware of the issue, and it's a bit strange that they send out a semi-finished product without informing the customers about this.

If I buy a vacuum cleaner that doesn't work optimally, I don't start taking it apart to find out what's wrong.

Does anyone know if the original Gibbs had this trait?

Decades later, those springs are well used so Id be surprised to see that, even on an NOS razor that’s been compressed on setting 1 for decades. I can make the baseplate tilt manually like my other modern adjustables if I press it to one side. I think Pearl could have saved some bad press and worked on those springs during packaging.

Glad to see they will fix their spring problem.....ahem

I think the December batch will ship on time after they work those springs a bit.

Geez, going to keep an eye out for batch 1 “tilted” razors, will probably get one pretty cheap.

Top Bottom