What's new

Longtime DEshaver trying shavette

Been using DE safety razors for a few years now and have settled on a Merkur slant with Feather blades as my daily setup.

Recently went to London and got a shave at Taylor of Old Bond Street (great shop!). Barber used what he called, "the cheapest shavette you can buy". I decided to get one and try it out.

Got a Parker SR1, which is an excellent design and have had a few shaves. I think because it takes the dead skin off more I ended up with a better looking shave than I usually get. Granted I need more practice as I still cut myself due to poor technique. The shavette has the ability to get a much closer shave with practice.

I ended up ordering the same razor with a lighter scale to see if it helps as the shavette requires a very light touch. The SR1 has a metal scale which is relatively heavy while the new one, the SRB, uses a lighter plastic one. We'll see if that helps or not. The barber used one with a plastic scale btw.

I'm pretty impressed with this new tool and look forward to improving my shaves with it.

Interesting take. I started with DE, then shavettes, then finally shelled out the money for a legit straight razor. After getting to the straight razor, the shavettes never see use and the DE is strictly for body hair but is only an emergency back-up for my two straight razors.

I find that the shavette is too easy to cut myself with, because the replaceable blades are not quite as sharp as a properly honed straight razor. The straights simply glide right over the skin, and effortlessly removes the hair with no irritation like I get from the shavette.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I started wet shaving with shavettes using half DE blades. Then I moved onto DE safety razors and really liked the shaves I was getting, which relegated my shavettes to around one shave per month.

Now I'm shaving with an AC blade straight (shavette) and I have to say its much better system and a completely different method of shaving. If you want to try AC straight razors you don't have to by razors that cost quite a few $$$. I've started off with a generic AC razor which cost around $20 with blades.

Or you can go with a traditional Straight Razor which can be a lot of fun using stones and strops to put your own edge on the blade plus you never have to buy blades again as the one blade you have will more than likely out last you.

These are just some of your options, there are many more, of which I have no experience so won't speak of. Which ever you decide to try I wish you good luck and happy shaves.

Oh and welcome to B&B you'll not find a greater place on the Internet or YouTube with such a wealth of wet shaving, and such friendly and helpful gentlemen and ladies to help you on your adventure.

One last thing WATCH OUT FOR THE RABBIT HOLES.

All the best to you
Dave

I tried a few shavettes and settled on a stainless steel one called The Hawk from Shaving Shack UK which they gave me free as part of a promotion when I was buying DE stuff. While I enjoyed using it there were times where I wasn't paying attention and managed to cut myself. With practice I might get better but I'm giving it a break for now for my face to recover! Good luck with your journey and keep us informed on how your technique improves.

20230430_130941.jpg

I agree totally with much that has been said.

After starting wet shaving just over a year ago with a DE, I happened to run across a video of a Turkish Barber using a Sedef half-blade barber razor. It looked interesting so I bought a half-dozen on the bay for 12 bucks.

I found it difficult to shave with, and realized the youtoob barber had mad skills which I don't have the patience to learn.

After slicing my earlobe open with the Sedef (totally my fault), I moved on to a clone AC shavette and now have three Feathers and a Kai, and they are pretty spectacular compared to the half-blade razors.

I'm getting shaves that are very close to what I can achieve with a DE, and am no longer mauling my face in the process, but still need work on my technique. It seems like the learning curve is a bit steeper than with a DE.

20230501_194819.jpg

I agree totally with much that has been said.

After starting wet shaving just over a year ago with a DE, I happened to run across a video of a Turkish Barber using a Sedef half-blade barber razor. It looked interesting so I bought a half-dozen on the bay for 12 bucks.

I found it difficult to shave with, and realized the youtoob barber had mad skills which I don't have the patience to learn.

After slicing my earlobe open with the Sedef (totally my fault), I moved on to a clone AC shavette and now have three Feathers and a Kai, and they are pretty spectacular compared to the half-blade razors.

I'm getting shaves that are very close to what I can achieve with a DE, and am no longer mauling my face in the process, but still need work on my technique. It seems like the learning curve is a bit steeper than with a DE.

View attachment 1650260
That Kai Kasho Woody that you show (second from the bottom in your pic) is one of the smoothest shavers I have ever used. Really a fantastic choice for somebody wanting to dip their toe into the AC shavette waters.

That Kai Kasho Woody that you show (second from the bottom in your pic) is one of the smoothest shavers I have ever used. Really a fantastic choice for somebody wanting to dip their toe into the AC shavette waters.

It seems to be the one that I'm slowly gravitating towards. Still a bit early for me to write off the Feather DX with only having used them for a relatively short while.

got a Parker SRB which is lighter than the SR1. I actually prefer the SR1. The finish is pretty rough on the SRB

My technique is improving. Shaving with the grain is going great. Working on across the grain technique. Not ready for against the grain yet :)

What is an "AC" shavette?
It is a shavette that takes an Artist Club blade. AC blades include the Feather Pro, ProSuper, Proguard, etc; Kai Captain, Mild PINK, and the Kai guarded blade; and the Schick Proline. These blades are all wider (longer? they shave a larger area with each stroke) thicker, and much narrower than a DE blade, which gives them a lot more structural integrity and makes shaving with them less irritating.

It is a shavette that takes an Artist Club blade. AC blades include the Feather Pro, ProSuper, Proguard, etc; Kai Captain, Mild PINK, and the Kai guarded blade; and the Schick Proline. These blades are all wider (longer? they shave a larger area with each stroke) thicker, and much narrower than a DE blade, which gives them a lot more structural integrity and makes shaving with them less irritating.
Thank you for the explanation. I try to avoid proprietary blades, but I have a lot of respect for Feather (they are my favorite blades for the DE). I may have to try the artist club sometime - how long do the blades last? They aren't cheap

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
It seems the razors for the AC style shavettes have a longer life across the board. I use a Feather Artist Club kamisori with Feather professional blades and easily get a dozen shaves out of them.

Thank you for the explanation. I try to avoid proprietary blades, but I have a lot of respect for Feather (they are my favorite blades for the DE). I may have to try the artist club sometime - how long do the blades last? They aren't cheap
IMO, the Kai blades are quite a bit better than the Feathers. I also prefer the Schick to the Feather, so they bring up the rear for me.

I generally get between 12 and maybe 16 shaves out of a blade, which is about fine times more than I get with DE blades, so cost wise they are not as bad as they seem.

My top choice is the Kai Mild PINK followed by the Schick Proline. I have never tried the Kai guarded blade but I have some Feather Proguards to get through before I buy any. I use guarded blades in two of my six AC shavettes (the ones with the most blade exposure and the highest risk of nicks; the guarded blade tames it them just enough). I have heard that the Kai guarded blades are fantastic, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Top Bottom