What's new

Long Time Soap User Wants Guidance

First let me say I keep a daily shaving log noting all aspects and results of every shave. I've done so since 2013. Then i pour over my notes and come to conclusions based on results over time and numerous uses.. I'm mostly a soap user and I've found the cream that not only over performs above their price point but actually at a level as good as my good, not best but good soaps, is Coates.
I'm amazed every time I use it. Specifically the Almond, Lavender, Rose and Sandalwood. The Lime is great to but a little drying. Don't like the scent of the Tea Tree.

OK, I pulled the trigger on Coates Almond and Rose. I'll see how I like it. Small tubes, only 1.7 oz.

I would also like to know of a source for Colgate.

The Palmolive you should be able to find in the next supermarket or drug store.

A variety selecetion close to your neck of the woods:
I'd recommmend any version of Proraso that seems OK to you from the scent description.
As you like Tabac, there is also a cream version of this.
Enjoy the exploration ... you'll have 10 tubes in no time. :001_rolle

Proraso’s professional line are worth a shot, made as their straight edge line are slicker than their standard creams

I have Azur lime

I've been shaving with Coats for the last three days, lavender, almond, and rose. So far I'm not particularly impressed. I can get the lather easily enough, and the lather went on thick enough, but the slickness seemed to be about the same as typical aerosol foams.

I'm going to continue using these creams, and have already learned that large silvertip brushes may not be ideal as they retain a lot of lather that is hard to get to release. 1st day with a 26 mm silvertip and 2nd day with a 28 mm silvertip. Best day was 3rd day with a 20 mm boar brush. I'll concentrate on finest and silvertip brushes of about the same size.

Any comments would be welcome.

The only creams that act like a soap for me are T&H Ultimate Comfort, TOBS Sandalwood, and GFT Sandalwood. The GFT cream is so old that it has dried and is harder than a croap!

The only creams that act like a soap for me are T&H Ultimate Comfort, TOBS Sandalwood, and GFT Sandalwood. The GFT cream is so old that it has dried and is harder than a croap!
You can reconstitute old, dry creams. Just use bottle distilled water a drop at a time and stir slowly with something like a toothpick. Done it with several old vintage creams.

I've been shaving with Coats for the last three days, lavender, almond, and rose. So far I'm not particularly impressed. I can get the lather easily enough, and the lather went on thick enough, but the slickness seemed to be about the same as typical aerosol foams.

I'm going to continue using these creams, and have already learned that large silvertip brushes may not be ideal as they retain a lot of lather that is hard to get to release. 1st day with a 26 mm silvertip and 2nd day with a 28 mm silvertip. Best day was 3rd day with a 20 mm boar brush. I'll concentrate on finest and silvertip brushes of about the same size.

Any comments would be welcome.
It might need more water. That could explain lack of slickness and noticeable thickness.

My best performing creams are La Toja and Lea Classic. Both are excellent.....on par with any of the soaps I've tried.

Circling back after getting involved with creams. I have learned to handle them well and rotate them in with soaps and with various brushes. I have three scents of Coats, Palmolive (from England), and Cremo. Cremo is what I enjoy the most. It has a scent that somewhat resembles Old Spice. I have also acquired Cremo Mint and Cremo Lavender.

Anyway, with a little use, I have become comfortable with them. I used Cremo Lavender this morning in a scuttle with a 20 mm Silvertip brush.

Maybe amusing to some of you, I have been putting the excess lather into an Old Spice Mug rather than just rinsing it down the sink. Truly a Frankensoap. After it dries out, I mash it down in the mug then add more when I can. It is mostly the tailings from creams although there is some soap left overs mixed in. The mug is filling up and I soon need to try shaving with it to see what it's like. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom