What's new

Long time lurker, new member

I'm a wet shaver who uses cartridges, most recently Amazon's Solimo 3 bladed razor heads. Previously I used the Shick Quatro.

For two years, I used a DE Safety razor but didn't like it. I tried two different handles and about 400 blades. I got tied of multiple passes, and there was a burn with my aftershave that I don't and didn't get with carts, so I gave up the DE and went back to cartridges.

I know the guys who post here are passionate about their DE/Straight Razors, but I'm not a fan, so if this isn't the place for me to contribute, I'll just go back to lurking.

Captain Daveman

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. There is a dedicated forum called Modern Shaving Systems. Many members contribute in this forum who mainly use carts. You are most welcome to have a look and join in there.

Welcome!
What DE did you use?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

My first I don't remember the name of but it was the one Rick from Pawn Stars put his photo on and I got it for 90% off for about $2 when K-mart was closing.

The next was a Gentleman John that came part of a set with a mug, brush, stand and disk of scented Shaving soap.

If you decide to give second chance to DE you'll find here many great options to choose!
Enjoy :)

B & B welcomes shavers of all types and methods.
Love all...shave all, I say!
Regret your DE experience was disappointing, but you weren't the first and won't be the last.
Traditional double-edged (and single-edged) razors are not as forgiving as cartridges, and more attention to proper technique is required for the superior results that many here swear by.
I'm not familiar with the razor you cite, but the design, manufacture and quality of the razor does play a part. There are some bad cheap razors out there!
Blades too, figure into the equation. They run the gamut from so mild they feel dull, to dangerously, surgically sharp and harsh.
Perhaps your unpleasant experience was due to some of those factors.
Peruse the forums and read the endless nit-picking over the countless variables, such as water softness, blade exposure, beard prep, angle of attack, soap types, their slickness, cushion, and post-shave feel (whatever that is!), water temp, resting the blade, the feng shui of your lavatory...to name but a few!
By all means, please come in...but enter at your own risk!

Definitely!
I always tell friends to try Gillette fat tech as their first razor, cant go wrong with it yet its cheap.

Well, what type of soaps do you use?
Welcome by the way.
I really, really like Rocky Mountain Barber Company Cedar Spice Shave Soap, but at $16 a tub, I only get one tub a year, when my nephew asks what I want for Christmas.

Cremo is another favorite. I like the way it face lathers really well.

But there good old reliable William's Mug Soap is what is in my shave mug most of the time

Also, full disclosure, my shave mug is a ceramic soup mug I got as a souvenir at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park about 20 years ago got cracked and in patched up with some super glue.

Welcome to B&B. We encourage everyone to contribute to the discussion whether you use a DE, SE, or even a 6 blade razor! :biggrin1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome! I first started shaving years ago with DE blades, switched to carts, REALLY loved the Gillette Sensor and if it were still available cheap I never would have went back to traditional DE shaving. So make yourself at home!

I really, really like Rocky Mountain Barber Company Cedar Spice Shave Soap, but at $16 a tub, I only get one tub a year, when my nephew asks what I want for Christmas.

Cremo is another favorite. I like the way it face lathers really well.

But there good old reliable William's Mug Soap is what is in my shave mug most of the time

Also, full disclosure, my shave mug is a ceramic soup mug I got as a souvenir at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park about 20 years ago got cracked and in patched up with some super glue.
Nice!

There's Modern Williams, and then there's everything else.
BigD

Top Bottom