What's new

Long time lurker, finally joined!

Good day to all of you who stopped by.

Been lurking for a while now but decided to join in on the fun. Here is my story about how wet shaving became a daily part of my life..

About a year ago, I was in the Target shaving aisle looking for a new razor because my Mach3 was disgusting and needed to be replaced. I was about to deploy and needed something that was going to get me all the way through the deployment. At the time there was a really nice looking setup for a double edged razor made by Van der Hagen. Being a man who appreciates tools that appear well-made (and seeing how cheap the razorblades were instead of the cartriges) I put the last razor on the shelf in my cart.

Later that night I opened up the package to give it a whirl. With my Mach3 I usually just put water on my face and went to town as I shave every day and the stubble doesn't get too bad..you guys can probably guess where my first experience is going with that knowledge.. Wow. What the hell? This thing sucks. Super irritating shave as there was no lubrication other than water and I was pressing into my face like I would with the other razor. I was all cut up in about 8 different places and I didn't have anything soothing for my face. Ouch.

Disappointed with the shave and ready to give it up before ever really getting started, I was patient and hopped online to see if I was doing something wrong.."There's no way that they can sell something for this price and it be that uncomfortable." There were some reviews for the Van der Hagen razor that were good and some that were bad, but after clicking through some of the links I eventually landed on Badger & Blades forums.

Whoops. (haha)

I dove head first into a hobby and passion for other people that I had no idea ever existed. It really was information overload for a couple of hours before I went to bed that night. The rest is history! The next shave I started using the full can of Barbasol I had laying around and used a little more attention to detail and way less pressure to navigate the blade around my face. Much better, and my shaves got a lot better for another month before deciding that razor was pretty aggressive for me and while deployed I had my wife send me a milder, smoother Merkur 23C. She was also nice enough to send me an artisan soap, a cheap brush (Omega 49 and still my fave brush of the 4 I own) and aftershave!

I was hooked. I practiced and got better with the brush(boar break in and stench is real) and soap and decided I'd never go back to the canned cream that suddenly wasn't as slick as I remember..And the bliss lasted for another month or so until I dropped that razor head first on the deck and it came apart at the screw. Crap. "Honey, I need you to send me another razor and please do some research and find something more durable.."

She bought me one and sent it. It took about a month for the package to get to the ship. It was a surprise and she wouldn't tell me what she got. When I opened the package..Feather AS-D2 and a 100 pack of Astras.. Best. Wife. Ever! Fast forward 7 months to today and it's still my weapon of choice. It survived a couple of drops so I can say with confidence that she made a great choice!

What started with a can of Barbasol and the often hated Van der Hagen razor turned into a nice little collection of soap/aftershave combos by the likes of B&M, Stirling, and Sudsy Soapery. Four different bristle types of brushes (Boar, Badger, Synthetic, and Horse) And you guys know the itch to try new things won't stop there.. That same Van der Hagen razor was given to a friend and he's also joined us into the wet shaving scene which is great because now I can talk to him about the hobby rather than my mostly uninterested wife!

I'm very glad to have found this forum after making that fateful purchase, because otherwise I may still be shaving with that Mach3 on a wet face without lubrication..and that thought makes me shudder now!

Welcome to B&B! Glad you did some research instead of ditching it all at the beginning! Sounds like a good kit, and wife. :)

Good day to all of you who stopped by.

Been lurking for a while now but decided to join in on the fun. Here is my story about how wet shaving became a daily part of my life..

About a year ago, I was in the Target shaving aisle looking for a new razor because my Mach3 was disgusting and needed to be replaced. I was about to deploy and needed something that was going to get me all the way through the deployment. At the time there was a really nice looking setup for a double edged razor made by Van der Hagen. Being a man who appreciates tools that appear well-made (and seeing how cheap the razorblades were instead of the cartriges) I put the last razor on the shelf in my cart.

Later that night I opened up the package to give it a whirl. With my Mach3 I usually just put water on my face and went to town as I shave every day and the stubble doesn't get too bad..you guys can probably guess where my first experience is going with that knowledge.. Wow. What the hell? This thing sucks. Super irritating shave as there was no lubrication other than water and I was pressing into my face like I would with the other razor. I was all cut up in about 8 different places and I didn't have anything soothing for my face. Ouch.

Disappointed with the shave and ready to give it up before ever really getting started, I was patient and hopped online to see if I was doing something wrong.."There's no way that they can sell something for this price and it be that uncomfortable." There were some reviews for the Van der Hagen razor that were good and some that were bad, but after clicking through some of the links I eventually landed on Badger & Blades forums.

Whoops. (haha)

I dove head first into a hobby and passion for other people that I had no idea ever existed. It really was information overload for a couple of hours before I went to bed that night. The rest is history! The next shave I started using the full can of Barbasol I had laying around and used a little more attention to detail and way less pressure to navigate the blade around my face. Much better, and my shaves got a lot better for another month before deciding that razor was pretty aggressive for me and while deployed I had my wife send me a milder, smoother Merkur 23C. She was also nice enough to send me an artisan soap, a cheap brush (Omega 49 and still my fave brush of the 4 I own) and aftershave!

I was hooked. I practiced and got better with the brush(boar break in and stench is real) and soap and decided I'd never go back to the canned cream that suddenly wasn't as slick as I remember..And the bliss lasted for another month or so until I dropped that razor head first on the deck and it came apart at the screw. Crap. "Honey, I need you to send me another razor and please do some research and find something more durable.."

She bought me one and sent it. It took about a month for the package to get to the ship. It was a surprise and she wouldn't tell me what she got. When I opened the package..Feather AS-D2 and a 100 pack of Astras.. Best. Wife. Ever! Fast forward 7 months to today and it's still my weapon of choice. It survived a couple of drops so I can say with confidence that she made a great choice!

What started with a can of Barbasol and the often hated Van der Hagen razor turned into a nice little collection of soap/aftershave combos by the likes of B&M, Stirling, and Sudsy Soapery. Four different bristle types of brushes (Boar, Badger, Synthetic, and Horse) And you guys know the itch to try new things won't stop there.. That same Van der Hagen razor was given to a friend and he's also joined us into the wet shaving scene which is great because now I can talk to him about the hobby rather than my mostly uninterested wife!

I'm very glad to have found this forum after making that fateful purchase, because otherwise I may still be shaving with that Mach3 on a wet face without lubrication..and that thought makes me shudder now!
The rabbit hole can always accommodate more devotees. The more the merrier!
Welcome here by the way!

Welcome :) it really is cheaper and better for you than carts...once you get used to it and do it without all the tugging pulling cuts scrapes etc etc Find blades you like....learn about pressure and sharpness you can get some consistent outstanding bbs shaves...if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask the people here on b&b 99% are welcoming and will give you solid information or at least to the best ability they can...every man deserves a good shave :) welcome

Welcome to B&B and stop dropping those razors. :001_rolle
Even the Feather AS-D2 can pick up a few dings too many. The Astra SP are great blades and the Omega 49 is a great boar brush, I hear, once broken in.

Welcome to B&B!

Such a great story and congrats to Mrs for that Feather AS-D2 purchase 😀

In a few more months, it'll be Feather Artist Club (OH YEAH, you're gonna love that thing) and then in a year or so from now (hopefully) you will have developed an interest in the gentlemanly art of SR shaving and then there is no coming back 😁

Enjoy the journey and no pressure!

Welcome to B&B and stop dropping those razors. :001_rolle
Even the Feather AS-D2 can pick up a few dings too many. The Astra SP are great blades and the Omega 49 is a great boar brush, I hear, once broken in.
Yep I def have a noticeable ding on my Feather now and it bothers me but I'll always keep it around! The boar was frustrating at first but I kept with it and it got a LOT better over time! In fact I'd say that it's still getting better with each use. I just wish Omega would have etched or painted on the handle instead of putting a sticker on that came off within two uses.

Welcome!!!
My origin story is very close to yours. But mine was that micro touch that the pawn stars guy was pushing.
Went home, used regular barbasol, went to town. Entire face was on fire and red for hours. Stormed into Walgreens pharmacy where I bought it and immediately returned it, face red with both razor burn and anger.
Then I found many resources online including this site.
Picked up a 1947-1948 NDC superspeed at the antique store and spent the better part of a day cleaning, ultrasonicing, and flitz polishing it and got the astra SP and personna Lab blues in from Amazon.
Watched a few videos and read some stuff in this very section and voila. Still had irritation, but not nearly as bad.
Just thinking of how hard I wash pushing with that micro touch makes me cringe now thinking about it. But that's where it all started for me.
Very glad you made your way here before giving up and in time you'll have the shaves you want.

Oh and thank you for your service!!!!

I know you're a few months in to your journey, but considering you're serving in our military, if you'd like to try some blades, you can check out the "newbie blade PIF" I'm running in this forum and it has a list of what I have to offer. You don't fit the newbie bill really but as a thank you I'd like to send you some blades if you're interested in trying some.

Last edited:
Top Bottom