What's new

Long-time head shaver, but newbie to forum!

I just stumbled across this forum while researching razor burn/head bumps. I've been shaving my head for about 12 -13 years now. I generally enjoy it, but have always struggled with bumps cropping up immediately after shaving.

Now, I've usually never let it bother me until the other day at work. I was freshly shaven from the night prior and one of my co-workers exclaimed, "Man, how the hell do you get such razor burn? Don't you ever change razors???" We had a lil friendly back and forth for a few minutes, but the conversation has left me thinking that I need a change.

Years ago ago, in my head-shaving rookie years, I used some sort of Gillette razor. Graduated to the Dollar Shave Club Executive. Noticed a nice improvement. After a few years, I'm now using Harry's razors. I like them ok, but I'm still struggling with a plethora of obviously noticeable red bumps that recede just long enough to pop back out the next time I shave. I'm interested in swapping over to a straight razor to see what kind of results I can achieve. However, I have ZERO experience with that type of blade.

My current regiment:

I only shave my head in the shower with relatively hot water. Usually on Sunday night and then Thursday or Friday night. I shave AGAINST the grain. It's what I've always done and just realized that I've never really thought about it. Usually use either soap or occasionally Dollar Shave Club Pillowy Shave Lather.

Never use any other products on my head post-shave. Just get out of the shower and towel off.

I feel like I'm probably doing a million things wrong. So, I need some guidance. I'm tired of the bumps and razor burn. Never had an expert really show me the proper way to do things. Just shave and go by the seat of my pants.

What to do? What and where to buy? Technique changes?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Welcome! I'm not a head shaver, but there are plenty of them here who will be happy to help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B brother head shaver.

I shave my head daily with no issues. I use the Dorco Pace 6 or the Solimo motion sphere 5 blade cart. They are not so different than what you use. I use light pressure the same as using a DE on my face with multiple passes. I can also get 21-28 shaves per cart just on my head.

I use the same prep on my head as my face, a warm shower and face wash (store brand Cetaphil that I add 1oz of glycerin to).

I use the same soap or cream on my head that I use on my face (whatever is up in the rotation that day) for a warm shave.

I ALWAYS do a with the grain pass on my whole head first. It’s all about stubble reduction not stubble wipeout in one pass. It’s like eating an elephant, you don’t eat it all at once, you eat out one bite at a time. Then I go across the grain and then against the grain. Then I have a couple swirly spots that I touch up and I’m done. This gives me a slick and shiny BBS every day.

I then do a cold water rinse, apply witch hazel with glycerin added and the aftershave once I get dressed. The witch hazel closes the pores and the glycerin keeps the skin soft.

The only time I tend to have issues is if I push a cart too far or get in a hurry when I use a DE on my head. FWIW, I’m still working on my DE technique for shaving my head.

Also, daily shaving helps me greatly as I’m not shaving as much off as I am if I even skip one day. It keeps the growth down and the stubble lower which also helps with less irritation.

I’m sure others will be along with more great advice. Good luck and happy shaves.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Hi, and welcome.
I shave my head with DE razors and sometimes with carts. Shavettes or straights limited to face when I don't have a beard.
My advice:
If you are getting bumps you can do a few things to try and fix it:
1- try a cart with 2-3 blades max
or try a Gillette Guard
2- shave after the shower and dont keep your razor where humid. Rinse after using and blow dry it.
3- use some sort of shaving soap/cream, if you want to use a brush even better.
4- use witchhazel after you shave, maybe even the medicated stuff
5- use and after shave balm
6- Shave every 3 days and go with the grain then across....I would probably avoid against if you are having trouble.

If these steps fail or there is still room for improvement after a trial period: Get a DE razor or a Schick single razor, those are different to use than carts. I would advice to avoid the straight razors....not worth cutting your scalp.

Many people think that head shaving is like face shaving but we both know it's different.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. Not a head shaver here but as mentioned before, there are many who are and will be glad to help you out.

Welcome aboard!

I am not a head shaver, so I won’t provide specific advice.

However, there is a ton of information in the Wiki that you may find helpful!

There really is a ton of info here you can search through, but the key to solving most skin irritation issues lies in your technique. Learn what most people agree is better technique (with whatever tool you choose) and practice that with very little change in variables such as razor or blade type. Additionally, and perhaps almost just as important, is the quality of your lather. If you use canned stuff, either stick with that until your technique improves, or if you like, find a good brush and soap (don't over think it) and learn to build good lather. As your technique improves, so will your shaving experience. I will offer a couple pieces of advice as well:

I agree that you should perhaps refrain from shaving against the grain for now (at least on the first pass) until your skin has a chance to clear up some. This will make future shaves less problematic and eventually, enjoyable.

Again, choose a tool and a soap and stick with it for a while, but many would agree that getting away from cartridges will greatly improve your chances of achieving a better shave. As someone previously mentioned, the Gillette Guard is a terrific cartridge razor (it has a single blade and an open comb guard). If you are less inclined to get away from cartridges, not only is the Gillette Guard the only cartridge I would recommend, but I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck on your journey here. You've come to the right place for knowledge. I've learned a lot over the years from this community.

Welcome!

I don't want to go too far here as I want to encourage you to explore the forum but I'll say this: as a head shaver I've had the same problem. I absolutely can't use anything with more then 1 blade (even just wtg), slants are great for head shaving, skip a day if you have to, the Gillette guard is your best friend, unless you have very dry skin skip balms and stick with alcohol and/or witch hazel, crushed aspirin and water paste is your friend (but unsightly so save it for home use), don't be afraid to explore Electrics as I get 99% of the way to a BBS head shave with a $60 Braun series 3 foil shaver in 5 mins with 0 irritation of any kind.

ALRIGHT... First taste is free guy lol, get in those threads and post away! The general shaving and modern shaving sections will help you to start and are where most of the activity specific to you will be found. If you want to talk straight razors, well you'll quickly see the dedication sections to that as well. Keep an eye out for newbie PIF's to possibly win free stuff and when you inevitably catch the bug and want to try ever razor ever made head over to BST as it's a much better alternative to say online auction sites.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm not a head shaver, but the basic principles of wet shaving are always the same, regardless of what part you shave off. Remember: a proper prep, a very light touch and proceeding slowly and carefully are the keys to success.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have to admit, as a 45 yr. old guy, it seems strange to ask other people how to do what I've been doing for so many years now, but here I am. Lol.

I guess I need a primer on what a DE is along with BBS, other acronyms, etc.

I've never used a single blade razor and it seems like I see a few differing opinions on that so far. I do see a pretty strong advocation for going with the grain and taking things slower than normal. Not gonna lie, I'm in the shower chopping wood to just get this done. So, basically eating the elephant in as few bites as possible. Gonna have to try the advice I see here, as it seems pretty darn sound. Slowing down, going with the grain, then across.....and finally against, but only if needed.

One thing I didn't mention is that my head (and face, but that part of my cranium is for another thread) is always VERY oily. Although, my scalp is the oiliest of the two regions.

I actually have some unused witch hazel already here at home, but I'm not familiar with glycerin. What is it's purpose? Where do I buy it? Certain type or brand?

I also think I may need to step up to shaving Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday to help having to take so much off at a time.

Have I forgotten to address anything?

Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have to admit, as a 45 yr. old guy, it seems strange to ask other people how to do what I've been doing for so many years now, but here I am. Lol.

I guess I need a primer on what a DE is along with BBS, other acronyms, etc.

I've never used a single blade razor and it seems like I see a few differing opinions on that so far. I do see a pretty strong advocation for going with the grain and taking things slower than normal. Not gonna lie, I'm in the shower chopping wood to just get this done. So, basically eating the elephant in as few bites as possible. Gonna have to try the advice I see here, as it seems pretty darn sound. Slowing down, going with the grain, then across.....and finally against, but only if needed.

One thing I didn't mention is that my head (and face, but that part of my cranium is for another thread) is always VERY oily. Although, my scalp is the oiliest of the two regions.

I actually have some unused witch hazel already here at home, but I'm not familiar with glycerin. What is it's purpose? Where do I buy it? Certain type or brand?

I also think I may need to step up to shaving Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday to help having to take so much off at a time.

Have I forgotten to address anything?

The chopping wood sensation will be due to multiple blades, even the best/smoothest tug. Single blades glide and slice. As for the oily skin, I ha e the same problem and HIGHLY advise against glycerin as it will make the problem 10x worse. Most people find benefit from restoring moisture through a humectant such as glycerin, propylene glycol, castor oil, etc (sometimes a combination). I find better relief from intentionally drying my oily skin out by using plain witch hazel or alcohol based splashes (Osage rub is a cheap and reliable splash that gives you then benefits of an aftershave without any moisturizing ingredients). It is a good idea to reduce your hair in progressive passes but personally my head is much less sensitive then my face and I only experience head shaving irritation on the nape/crease area on the back of my head coincidentally this is also where my head hair is thickest. If I shave my head every 1-2 days and use a blade (not a foil shaver) I go front to back for the first pass (across the grain on the sides, with the grain on the back, against the grain on the top) then go top to bottom on the back and sides (against the grain for both) then touch up wherever needed. If you need a spot treatment for bumps crush some plain aspirin and mix with water to form a paste then apply to the bumps, really cake it on nice and wet and let it dry until it clumps and brush it off. You may want to research the gillette guard or skinguard. The guard is a pivoting single blade razor that combines the benefits of a safety razor with the ease of use of a cartridge, the skinguard is a new twin blade cart they put out with a design specifically for those who suffer from bumps.

Or just use a foil shaver, 98% of the way to a baby bottom smooth (BBS) shave in less then 5 mins with no prep or mirrors.

"Although it sounds contradictory to apply a moisturizer to oily skin, especially one that may contain oils, the fact is, it actually will help reduce sebum production and give skin a better texture with the proper use of certain types of oils. ... Oily skin also tends to be thicker than normal and has larger pores."- Sterling Minerals

This is very true actually. The company I work for makes skin care products. I had been told this here on this forum and ran it by my process engineer boss, the nice folks in the lab and the really smart people with degrees and experience in the R&D Dept. and they all confirmed this. This is when I started mixing 1oz of Glycerin to a 16oz bottle of Witch hazel.

This concentration maintains the astringent qualities of the WH, the cooling of the alcohol and the light moisturizing effects of the glycerin. I have been doing this since late last year and it has helped me tremendously. My skin is more balanced than ever and just plain feels better. It's not overly dry and almost flaky or as oily as a greased pig at the county fair. This also has the added benefits of making each shave better as the hair has a better moisture balance as well. It is not overly dry and stiff but it is softer as the glycerin is hydrophillic (attracts moisture). I even blend 1oz of glycerin into my face-wash during my shower for my pre shave. This further softens my stubble to produce some very exceptional shaves, (since I have been doing this routine, I can easily get a month of daily head shaves with a single cart. I consider 1 head shave as the equivalent of 2 face shaves).

@fathomblue, DE means Double Edge and BBS= Baby Bottom Smooth. You can order a bottle of glycerin from many places online and most pharmacy's have it as well, ie: CVS, Walgreens, etc... It is inexpensive and will last a very long time as it is mixed in with the WH and that is just used as a splash in small amounts. A 16oz bottle of WH will last me at least a couple of months of daily shaving.

I hope this helps and Happy Shaves.

Brian

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of good advice in this thread, as well as elsewhere on the forum. As someone who struggled with this issue for years, including a phase of needing antibiotics, here are my 2 (or 9) cents...

1. Run this as a controlled experiment. Only try one thing at a time. One variable adjustment at a time. Don't change too much too soon. Stick with a change for a week (2 is better) before deciding whether it helped or not.
  2. NO AGAINST THE GRAIN. At least not until you get things under better control. If you follow the next piece of advice below, you'll be surprised after a while how unnecessary it is anyway.
  3. Only shave every 2-3 days.
  4. Switch from a cart to a DE. If nothing else, it will hone your technique so that you get better shaves if you ever do go back to the carts.
  5. Shave with cold water. Hot water causes the skin to swell, leading to more irritation and more opportunity for ingrown hair.
  6. Shave before you shower. For one thing, you don't want to shower with cold water. For another, soap residue can contribute to the problem.
  7. Witch Hazel after your shave. No alcohol-based or menthol products, at least for a while.
  8. Moisturize 1-2x daily. Only use a small amount of water-based moisturizer. Nivea Creme works well for me.
  9. If you have the means and the desire, consider laser treatments.
Like I said, experiment. Just because these things worked for me doesn't mean they'll work for you.

Man, you guys are great. After reading all of this, plus doing some other research, I believe I'm going to seek out the best DE razor I can find and change my whole routine. Then only tune things one at a time till I get the results that I want.

FWIW, I used my Harry's cartridge razor tonight with the Dollar Shave Club Pillowy Foam Lather in the shower and using hot water. Went with the grain, then across, then against to finish up.

Jumped out of the shower and toweled my head off. My shave itself was smooth, but still had some bumps popping up. So, i applied some Dickinson's Witch Hazel. Actually felt pretty good.

My head doesn't FEEL as irritated as usual, but the bumps are still noticeable. Plus, it's only 1 shave.

1. Anyway, can I get some recommendations for a great DE razor? What about the blades themselves?

2. Recommendations for a better lather product? I'm interested in the Dreadnought Shaving Cream. Any comments on it?

3. What about a quality lather brush?

4. I'll see about the glycerin, since there are varying opinions on its' usage with very oily skin (which I have). I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it for a lil while as an experiment.

Beside a change in technique, trying cold water, etc., etc....are there any other actual products I should buy to start over from scratch here in regards to DE wet-shaving?

Thanks again to ALL!!!!

Top Bottom