What's new

long stubble

I dunno how many people here shave once a week as i do when my stubble has grown about 1 cm long, but do you find whatever razor you use, it wont cut the long hairs properly on the first pass? and if you do, like i do does the blade get worn more quickly.

(when my stubble does grow about 0.5 cm or 1 cm long i find myself having to use my Philishave 890 tripple head beard-trimmer/shaver and then run the razor. I could just use the electric shaver but it doesnt give me a close shave like a razor specially under the chin, and the blades are expensive. £11 for one. (2 is £22 and 3 is £33 and the new shavers are more expensive themselves)

(at the moment one blade lasts me about 4 weeks or more, thats because i shave only once a week) so i found on the 5th week its bit of a drag and wont cut around the lips.

Also, if you keep your new pack of blades in the cupboard and you havent used them for a while will they go blunt or feel the drag on the face as a result of it going old sitting in the cupboard?

Longer hairs will clog any safety razor, so you will have to rinse more.

The blade may wear slightly more as I think the whiskers tend to thicken as they grow, but this shouldn't be a real problem. As for blade replacement, don't try and save a few cents by going for shave number 5, toss the blades out after the 4th shave if you know they won't give you a good 5th shave.

Blades if properly stored (no excess humidity, don't get banged around, etc.) should last for a very long time. People here routinely buy 100s of blades without problems. (I'm assuming you're using stainless blades - if you're using carbon steel, then oxidation may be a possible issue.)

I also find it hard to use most any razor if I grow out too much. The Straight suggest is good, I would think, if you are prepared to go there. Otherwise, I would just plan on running over it with electric clippers first. But if you do that, make sure you use an attachment or clippers that keep the blades off your skin, leaving a decent stubble. You'll get less irritation if the evil electric device is kept away from the tender skin.

On holiday I only shaved every 3-4 days. used my HD open comb with soap and after only 2 passes my face was incredibly smooth. You gotta have the right tool for the job: open comb is its name.:001_smile

As has been said here before, I actually find I get my smoothest shaves when I let my stublle grow out for 3-4 days. I've never had a problem with the razor clogging but I do rinse often.

Same here. I get my best shaves with 2, 3 or more days of stubble, however if my stubble is a week I first have to trim the beardhairs short before I can have a comfortable DE shave.

I find more than two days growth makes the first pass kinda not nearly as effective. I am actually wondering if an open comb might help. I really believe that the hairs are pushing the bar up off my face. Wanting to try a nice old open comb off ebay anyway, but not seeing anything good at the moment (I want a NEW, not one of the earlier versions, for shave quality reasons).

I have generally found that it appears I get a better shave with some stubble there. However, feeling around my face seems to show that I get just as close shaving everyday as only once a week or so. I think it also might have to do with being able to better visualize the direction of beard growth. Anyway, I have noticed what you are talking about.

I shave twice a week (typically Wed/Sun night, for those curious) and haven't had any real problems cutting the hairs with a 40's SS/Derby combo. I typically do a 2-pass (N-S, across) with a 3rd "variety/cleanup" pass.

J

yeh i agree, after a shave clean with a 1cm growth it does look really clean and new, but i dont want to risk the straight, i think the straight is just a knife in a case.

One centimetre of stubble? That's a beard! Certainly longer than the beard I wore for many years. Do you mean one millimetre by any chance?

Gareth

I have a fast-growing tough beard, and on a 3 day stubble,I find that lathering the cream directly on the face (thorougly) helps tremendously ; better prep that way

moses said:
I find more than two days growth makes the first pass kinda not nearly as effective. I am actually wondering if an open comb might help. I really believe that the hairs are pushing the bar up off my face. Wanting to try a nice old open comb off ebay anyway, but not seeing anything good at the moment (I want a NEW, not one of the earlier versions, for shave quality reasons).

I always reach for my Merkur OC when I've got a couple days of stubble built up. The result, BBS.

Top Bottom