What's new

Long Rise Dress Pants

Good Afternoon!

I am in search of some long rise dress pants in big men’s size. Does anyone have any recommendations where I might find some? I am located in Texas.

Good Afternoon!

I am in search of some long rise dress pants in big men’s size. Does anyone have any recommendations where I might find some? I am located in Texas.
If you don’t mind online shopping you might try Ben Silver in Charleston, SC. They sell very high class men’s clothing at commensurate prices but might have a wide range of sizes. Styles are very conservative, timeless and traditional.

As someone who also needs long rise dress trousers in big sizes, the search begins and ends with the two "B's" - Ballin and Berle. Ballin is a Canadian manufacturer and can be found at most nicer men's shops (I purchased mine a few years ago from H. Stockton in Atlanta) and Westport Big & Tall, and I've heard from more than one salesman at more than one such shop that Ballin is the best long rise trouser available. Mostly wool gabardines, as I recall, but I have not shopped for them in a while since I've found the second "B" - Berle - to be more cost-effective.

Berle, based in Charleston, SC, is also available from most nicer men's shops and they have a good variety of fabrics in big sizes with long rises - currently in my rotation are cotton chinos, poplins, wool blend gabardines, wool gabardines, and wool flannel. If there is a trouser you see that you like, but they do not usually carry it, they will make it for you (at an additional cost); this was the case with my wool tartan trousers. For cost and variety, Berle is a great option.

www.berle.com

Two other options I have used on multiple occasions - All American Khakis (based just down I-20 in eastern GA) and Oliver Wicks. All American Khakis has their own line of trousers which does not include big and tall sizes; however, they are the manufacturer for a number of other companies and can accommodate special orders. If you contact them, be sure to ask for Walt - he can tell you what they can do and will hook you up.

www.allamericankhakis.com

Oliver Wicks is an online clothier based in Bulgaria; you pick you fabric, design the trousers you want, submit your measurements, include a couple of photos, and get your trousers in 6-7 weeks. They have very nice wool fabrics, as well as seasonal fabrics like linen and seersucker, and their customer service has been top-notch. They will reimburse you if you need alterations once the garment arrives, and if the garment cannot be tailored (as in the case of a vest I ordered which was far too tight), they will remake it for you.

www.oliverwicks.com

Best of luck to you!

AF

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
As someone who also needs long rise dress trousers in big sizes, the search begins and ends with the two "B's" - Ballin and Berle. Ballin is a Canadian manufacturer and can be found at most nicer men's shops (I purchased mine a few years ago from H. Stockton in Atlanta) and Westport Big & Tall, and I've heard from more than one salesman at more than one such shop that Ballin is the best long rise trouser available. Mostly wool gabardines, as I recall, but I have not shopped for them in a while since I've found the second "B" - Berle - to be more cost-effective.

Berle, based in Charleston, SC, is also available from most nicer men's shops and they have a good variety of fabrics in big sizes with long rises - currently in my rotation are cotton chinos, poplins, wool blend gabardines, wool gabardines, and wool flannel. If there is a trouser you see that you like, but they do not usually carry it, they will make it for you (at an additional cost); this was the case with my wool tartan trousers. For cost and variety, Berle is a great option.

www.berle.com

Two other options I have used on multiple occasions - All American Khakis (based just down I-20 in eastern GA) and Oliver Wicks. All American Khakis has their own line of trousers which does not include big and tall sizes; however, they are the manufacturer for a number of other companies and can accommodate special orders. If you contact them, be sure to ask for Walt - he can tell you what they can do and will hook you up.

www.allamericankhakis.com

Oliver Wicks is an online clothier based in Bulgaria; you pick you fabric, design the trousers you want, submit your measurements, include a couple of photos, and get your trousers in 6-7 weeks. They have very nice wool fabrics, as well as seasonal fabrics like linen and seersucker, and their customer service has been top-notch. They will reimburse you if you need alterations once the garment arrives, and if the garment cannot be tailored (as in the case of a vest I ordered which was far too tight), they will remake it for you.

www.oliverwicks.com

Best of luck to you!

AF
Solid gold, my friend! Thanks for posting. I'd never heard of Berle before, but boy do they have a nice website. They've got some real steals in the clearance section. $45 for American-made 100% worsted gabardine trousers, and free shipping to boot? Wow! Instabuy!

Solid gold, my friend! Thanks for posting. I'd never heard of Berle before, but boy do they have a nice website. They've got some real steals in the clearance section. $45 for American-made 100% worsted gabardine trousers, and free shipping to boot? Wow! Instabuy!
I'm looking at Berle now too. Even their non-sale prices, for what they offer, seem pretty reasonable.

I've been complaining for a while that everybody, including Hollywood celebs who have money enough to have their clothes done right, is wandering around in a suit that is far too tight and looks like it belongs to the wearer's little brother. You are not supposed to see a triangle of shirt (and especially not the tip of your tie) below the button of your suit or sport coat. The high rise trousers might very well take care of that for me, without my having to buy a complete, high-quality suit at this point.

I ran across this site too with a discussion of just this: Should You Wear High-Waisted Pants? - https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/low-mid-vs-high-rise/

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm looking at Berle now too. Even their non-sale prices, for what they offer, seem pretty reasonable.

I've been complaining for a while that everybody, including Hollywood celebs who have money enough to have their clothes done right, is wandering around in a suit that is far too tight and looks like it belongs to the wearer's little brother. You are not supposed to see a triangle of shirt (and especially not the tip of your tie) below the button of your suit or sport coat. The high rise trousers might very well take care of that for me, without my having to buy a complete, high-quality suit at this point.

I ran across this site too with a discussion of just this: Should You Wear High-Waisted Pants? - https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/low-mid-vs-high-rise/
Indeed. I’m pretty happy with the pants I picked up. I have a long torso, so the high rise works well for me. Still, though, I prefer to wear a jacket or sweater over them. I can’t quite shake the fear of looking like Steve Urkel. BTW, the Berle pants I bought are made in Mexico, not the US. I guess you that’s still “America.” The quality is very good.

Top Bottom